The QE 2 Diva, Mary Mastony

ColumbiaSC

Does anyone know if Mary Mastony ----- who travelled on the Queen Elizabeth 2 every year since 1985, undertaking various journeys including four circumnavigations of the globe, the last of which was the Farewell World Cruise of 2008 ----- has been on the Queen Mary 2 or the Queen Victoria in recent years? She was named The Diva by the wife of a former Captain of the QE2. A winsome eccentric, she fit in quite well on board and performed an aria ----- she insisted on having first billing ----- in almost all of the Amateur Talent Shows. She has written, I think, two books, which were on sale in the Bookshop. It'd be so good to see her prowling the decks again! I was at her table for eight on one of the legs of the QE2 2008 Farewell World Cruise ----- the last one, from LA to NY (I always think it best to change tables on each leg no matter what.)

No. That would be Bea. Both ladies reside in New Jersey about 10 miles apart but I doubt they get together much. Both very nice but both in great need for the top billing so you can see where that can be a problem. Sad that Cunard does not offer better single supplement deals as these ladies and many other single folks added greatly to the passenger consist.

No !! Mary Mastony is a lady whose company was a pleasure to be in.

The other person is best mentioned in hushed tones. l met her and did not fall under her spell.

Strange that Myles. :D:eek:

Gavin.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if Mary Mastony ----- who travelled on the Queen Elizabeth 2 every year since 1985, undertaking various journeys including four circumnavigations of the globe, the last of which was the Farewell World Cruise of 2008 ----- has been on the Queen Mary 2 or the Queen Victoria in recent years? She was named The Diva by the wife of a former Captain of the QE2. A winsome eccentric, she fit in quite well on board and performed an aria ----- she insisted on having first billing ----- in almost all of the Amateur Talent Shows. She has written, I think, two books, which were on sale in the Bookshop. It'd be so good to see her prowling the decks again! I was at her table for eight on one of the legs of the QE2 2008 Farewell World Cruise ----- the last one, from LA to NY (I always think it best to change tables on each leg no matter what.)

I am a host who got off the Queen Victoria two weeks ago. Mary was on the Mediteranean cruise. What a personality! Got a card from her from London.

I was on the Med cruise mentioned and saw the lady many times (though I did not to speak to her). She did indeed take part in the amateur talent show and I believe she also did a signing of her books.

Sarah

She was on the QM2 on the June 7th crossing, and I found her to be very entertaining. She marched me up to the book store where I bought one of her books. I consider her to be part of the charm of my QM2 experience.

Mary the Diva was dining alone at a table next to me in Todd English on a Queen Mary 2 crossing in June 2009. She broke into an aria for another couple who were dining at an an adjacent table.

Of course, I had the pleasure of seeing both Mary and Bea, along with a whole host of other minor QE2 eccentrics and luminaries, doing their thing almost every day of the QE2 world cruise in 2007.

I wonder if Queen Mary 2 in her time will attract such an amazing collection of characters as QE2 did. I sure hope so.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I dug deep for this one. We were on the NY to LA portion of the QE2 World Cruise with Mary Mastony in January 2006. What a wonderful lady. Caught up with her in the laundry room having a good time.

Mary is in the back left with the long hair and the big smile!

Laundry-QE2-Diva-Mary-Mastony-L.jpg

Mary was on the QE's world cruise as far as Sydney this past year. We saw her dancing each night. She transferred to the QM2 in Sydney. We took the QM2 back from Southampton to NY after the world cruise and she was at our table. She used a wheelchair part of the time but was able to slowly dance and walk around the King's Court to get her lunch. She also performed in the passenger talent show and was always the last act.

We saw Mary around 12 months ago on QM2 - between Sydney and Auckland. We did not know who she was or anything about her - but she was just so obvious. Now we know :p The only times we saw her, she was in a wheelchair.

Barry

The other person is best mentioned in hushed tones. l met her and did not fall under her spell.

Perhaps it was the other way around ? ... You mean, she didn't fall under 'your spell' !

After all, there is only 'one' Cunard Queen and that's Bea.

Bell Boy;)

...unless she was singing, in which case a far away bar was the best place.

I also remember her on one occasion interupting an art class that was about half way through and we all had to stop while she explained that she wanted to join in. After a 10 minute kerfuffle as she got organised, we started again, then about 15 minutes later she got up and announced that she had had enough for today and departed. Very rude.

...unless she was singing, in which case a far away bar was the best place.

I saw her perform on QE2 about 10 years ago. Then she billed herself as the "QE2 Deva" Never could work out whether I was supposed to laugh or not.

Great character.

David.

currently on the QE, so, I asked about Mary as she isnt on board. Apprently she needs full time care on board now and is unable to sail unless she is able to provide it.

Lillian is here as is Signor, the guy from Spain and a couple of others who were regular world cruisers.

Great trip so far.

roscoe

Mary was close to needing full time help on last year's world cruise. Signor always is on the world cruises with his white shirts, hands clasped in back and he is often in the lobby. A very nice man. Lillian always dances and is so petite and a real lady. Fun to be able to picture the ever-present characters that are on every year. Enjoy, Roscoe!

Mary was close to needing full time help on last year's world cruise. Signor always is on the world cruises with his white shirts, hands clasped in back and he is often in the lobby. A very nice man. Lillian always dances and is so petite and a real lady. Fun to be able to picture the ever-present characters that are on every year. Enjoy, Roscoe!

we have been bemoaning that fact that these wonderful old characters of yesteryear are slowly falling by the wayside for one reason or another. Its a shame because they were what helped make the cunard experience...well..have no fear..this world cruise has a whoooooollllllleeeeee lot of new characters ..... the self styled king and queen of cunard among them. ill say no more.:D

Sad to hear about Mary. She was a wonderful world cruise fixture whom I had the pleasure to observe during QE2's 2007 world cruise.

Soon it will be all homogenized, and the eccentricity that was a part of the real world cruise experience will be lost.

Archived