Silversea Customer Service Attitude

Mike2131

I don't think one can tell what exactly happened here and if anyone really over-reacted to this, ahem, incident. I agree though it is true that personal issues should not be reflected in any customer interaction, whether the business is the cruise line or the travel agency.

Maybe that's what we need now in these distressing times, a big ole discussion of something inconsequential like a missing tag, a remark between the cruise rep and the TA, unnecessarily reported to the client, written and fretted about on CC, read by hundreds, remarked upon by many, and reassured by all that the cruise experience will undoubtedly be exemplary.

No harm in all this at all.

Actually I do think it would be good if it was read by Silversea. I know as a senior executive I always appreciated the feedback; both the things we did right and the things we needed to work on.

I am really not trying to make a big deal of this and probably would have just sat back on this except for the earlier posts that tried to belittle the OP for posting this in the first place.

Again, all the OP was noting was that the customer service person did not handle this one correctly. And yes it is a little item but it would have been a non issue if the customer service person apologized over the missing tag and just said another one will be sent out immediately.

And I am not sure why anyone would fault the TA for telling the OP what happened.

Customer service does not begin on the cruise. It begins at the time the sale is made.

And folks need to remember that as a first time cruisers with Silversea they don't yet have the on board experience that some on this board do. They have heard that Silversea is a five star line, and have made a financial commitment to go with Silversea. Now they expect to have great service starting with the folks who they or their TA deal with.

Again, this is a very trivial item. But it could have been a non issue from the get go.

In short, the problem is not with the OP, nor with the TA, but with the customer service persons comment, plain and simple. And it doesn't matter if we are talking about a luggage tag or some other item. Customer service should be consistent day in and day out.

Keith

The communication was between the TA and the rep. The comment may have been made or written with more of a sigh than a belligerent denial of reality. The desired result (a luggage tag)was probably easily obtained.

Now the TA has upset his or her client and made him question his choice of a cruise line. Presumably she know SS is going to give excellent service. Why would he/she raise the specter of bad service when the it is unnecessary to do so? Yes, come to think of it, the TA should have used better judgment.

The communication was between the TA and the rep. The comment may have been made or written with more of a sigh than a belligerent denial of reality. The desired result (a luggage tag)was probably easily obtained.

Now the TA has upset his or her client and made him question his choice of a cruise line. Presumably she know SS is going to give excellent service. Why would he/she raise the specter of bad service when the it is unnecessary to do so? Yes, come to think of it, the TA should have used better judgment.

The TA just shared the "truth" as to what happened.

I guess the TA could have kept it to him or herself. However, I suspect many TA's would have let their client know what happened, including mine. And personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

Again, I come back to the simple point that the problem is not with the OP and the problem is not with the TA. Rather IMHO the problem was a snide remark made by a customer service representative who should either have known better or should have been better trained. That's my opinion.

I think this is one we can agree to disagree rather than going back and forth.

Keith

the representative should have said, "we are so very sorry that only one luggage tag was sent, this is the first time I have ever heard of this happening (only say this if this is the truth) and we will immediately sent another one out. Please accept our sincere apologies."
Umm, I'm a TA very new to Silversea - I'm looking at them as an alternative to and variation from Cunard Grills. The ships are lovely, the suites superb, but from some of the remarks I heard onboard, I am a little concerned about the passengers. I'd like to find a luxury product where the boarding pass does not come with, and forgive me for stating it this way, an overblown sense of entitlement.

I don't know if this case is typical, but there is something unattractive about having a tantrum because the shoreside staff were, what, insufficiently obsequious and fawning regarding a luggage tag?

Or am I missing something major?

I am a little concerned about the passengers. I'd like to find a luxury product where the boarding pass does not come with, and forgive me for stating it this way, an overblown sense of entitlement. I don't know if this case is typical, but there is something unattractive about having a tantrum because the shoreside staff were, what, insufficiently obsequious and fawning regarding a luggage tag? Or am I missing something major?

We are less than a month from our first experience with Silversea, but based on past Seabourn and Crystal travels, plus many other readings, I don't think you or we will have this problem. The passengers expect and get quality, but . . . I don't think there is that "overblown sense of entitlement". We didn't have or see that attitude with the other two comparable lines and doubt it will be there on Silversea. Will report more shortly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Umm, I'm a TA very new to Silversea - I'm looking at them as an alternative to and variation from Cunard Grills. The ships are lovely, the suites superb, but from some of the remarks I heard onboard, I am a little concerned about the passengers. I'd like to find a luxury product where the boarding pass does not come with, and forgive me for stating it this way, an overblown sense of entitlement.

I don't know if this case is typical, but there is something unattractive about having a tantrum because the shoreside staff were, what, insufficiently obsequious and fawning regarding a luggage tag?

We have sailed many of the luxury lines. We had a very nice experience on Silversea last summer. I wrote a review on the ship which is posted on the Cruse Critic passenger review site and the experience was mainly positive. I wrote a very fair and balanced review with most items being positive.

IMHO what transpired is not typical of the experience on Silversea on or off the ship.

I am not sure what you mean about a tantrum. I am probably one of the calmest people you will ever meet and if I error it tends to be on the positive side. (eg., I live by the glass being half full rather than half empty).

With that said, I do think that the customer representative did not handle the situation well and I thought the TA did their job properly. I also didn't agree with others who just wanted to trivialize the comments that the customer service representative made. The missing luggage tag is certainly a nit in the scheme of things but first impressions are important and sometimes very lasting in any business and it was just too bad that this was not a good first impression.

While I likely would NOT have posted this experieince if it happened to me and would have kept it between myself and my TA, since it was posted I have shared my view on this because I do believe that good customer service begins on land and not just on the ship.

I do not follow your comment about the boarding pass and the level of entitlement nor do I follow your comment about a tantrum. do undertand the comment that some passengers think there is a level of entitlement and have observed this on almost all our sailings over they years. I do not see this as being specific to one set of cruise line passengers.

Regardless, I do not see how either one relates to this thread. If you would like to elaborate, I would be happy to discuss them.

If I gave a recommendation it would be to see first hand and to experience the various luxury products that are available for yourself. It's hard to give constructive advice to others until you have seen/experienced them first hand.

Keith

...at least from my perspective. The issue is not a missing luggage tag. Everyone makes mistakes (especially me), but the way one deals with a mistake makes a world of difference. It should make no difference whether it is a luxury line or a budget cruise, the attitude of meeting or exceeding client expectations is paramount in a customer facing position. All it takes is one instance (especially in a first contact scenario) to set a bad tone with a client.

I live and die with these situations every day in my career and what I might feel is minor might be a hot button for one of our clients. It makes me a tough grader when it comes to customer service, but I will not hesitate to praise and reward someone who goes above and beyond what would be expected.

Comments on this thread have been split - some focused on the seemingly trivial luggage tag and others on the implications of how the situation was handled. I can assure you the reason I posted was motivated by the client relations aspect, not the tag.

Mike, It is unclear reading your post if you have actually sailed SilverSea. Would you mind enlightening me? If you have, could you elaborate on the remarks you heard?

Thanks!

Host Dan

Mike, It is unclear reading your post if you have actually sailed SilverSea. Would you mind enlightening me? If you have, could you elaborate on the remarks you heard?

Thanks!

Host Dan

That is the reason I have nothing to guage the customer service response to our TA against with regards to the onboard experience. We have sailed multiple times with Celebrity and Princess and one-offs with HAL, RCCL, and Windstar.

My response regarding customer service and setting expectations, however, is certainly not limited to the cruise industry or any one line. My response to a previous poster regarding whether he had missed something was in regard to statements like "an overblown sense of entilement" or "having a tantrum". Neither is certainly the case with us, but when a customer relations rep questions our TA (and by proxy us) because we mentioned an item was missing from the beautiful doc packet, that would seem to beg the opposite view. Do the reps (and by extension the company) feel superior to the paying clients - especially because they dared mention something so minor as a missing luggage tag? I hope Silversea reads these boards and can use this as a training scenario to improve their customer approach.

This has not dulled our eager anticipation for this cruise one iota and we are expecting a wonderful experience. I like to think my CC reviews are evenhanded and I will post a full one for this cruise when we return.

That is the reason I have nothing to guage the customer service response to our TA against with regards to the onboard experience. We have sailed multiple times with Celebrity and Princess and one-offs with HAL, RCCL, and Windstar.

My response regarding customer service and setting expectations, however, is certainly not limited to the cruise industry or any one line. My response to a previous poster regarding whether he had missed something was in regard to statements like "an overblown sense of entilement" or "having a tantrum". Neither is certainly the case with us, but when a customer relations rep questions our TA (and by proxy us) because we mentioned an item was missing from the beautiful doc packet, that would seem to beg the opposite view. Do the reps (and by extension the company) feel superior to the paying clients - especially because they dared mention something so minor as a missing luggage tag? I hope Silversea reads these boards and can use this as a training scenario to improve their customer approach.

This has not dulled our eager anticipation for this cruise one iota and we are expecting a wonderful experience. I like to think my CC reviews are evenhanded and I will post a full one for this cruise when we return.

Mike2131l I can't believe your cruise is almost here. You booked this so long ago. Time flies!

Interesting thread, folks ... the bottom line is if you are marketing a luxury product that level of service should also come through in customer service off the ship. Our travel agent recently had a bad experience trying to book a cruise for us with Seabourn, we are SB club members, she had a cruise on hold for us with them and was not informed it was chartered, and she shared that they were not very nice to her, and this is a Virtuoso agent who clearly wants to provide good service and also should receive it from Seabourn. We ended up changing our booking to Silversea and her response was, "Oh good, they are SO much nicer to deal with than Seabourn!". So, the person handling the luggage tag issue probably had a bad day but the attitude was unfortunate. Can't wait to try Silversea and thanks everyone for all the great posts and information!:)

For what it's worth.... I always deal with the same SS rep, no TA. She has ALWAYS been immensely helpful, polite at all times, as well as personable. Never short with me (even when I know I must be driving her nuts with stupid questions) and never doing her "duty" in a rote fashion.

So, you will hear no customer service complaints from me.

I will bet her name is Marsha

right you are!:D Unless there is more than one! (mine is spelled Marcia, I believe.)

I am not sure right now of the spelling, but we always refer to her as "Marsha B of Silversea" and she in the very best.

Mike2131l I can't believe your cruise is almost here. You booked this so long ago. Time flies!

By the time we fly out (2 weeks from yesterday), we have been booked close to a year. A lot of research, planning, and holding our breath that the cruise would not be chartered out or changed to a one way between Longyearbyen and Tromso. Now if the volcano in Iceland will just cooperate...

My DGF is the photographer and she will post an album when we return and I take care of the review. Boy, we just can't wait!

Chiming in here because the thread title interested me as a possible new Silversea customer.

I see this is not just over a missing luggage tag; it is being called essentially a liar. That is the injustice. And that attitude irritates the heck out of me too.

Brava OP, you were right to feel the way you did. You approached this earnest for a resolution and you were dismissed for your concerns. Not good public relations in the competitive hospitality world. You get to decide who gets your money. But keeping one's dignity in the face or hostility or boorishness is also a virtue too. And that is often the best revenge.

Sure Dan. At this point. I haven't traveled on Silversea as a passenger. As a travel agent, I've been given the promo pitch and taken aboard the Silver Shadow for a day to tour the facilities, the cabins and have lunch with some of the sales execs.

I quite like the bones of the product - the Silver Shadow is wonderful, the cabins smartly designed and laid-out, the facilities splendid and the food terrific. The numbers are very eye-opening too - for some itineraries, the price is comparable to a premium line, not the luxury line she is.

My only concern is the passenger dynamics, and really, that's only so I can ensure the experience meets the expectations of some of my various clients. In general, the premium and luxury clients I deal with are a down-to-earth bunch and appreciate a friendly atmosphere - think Oceania and Cunard, both Grills and Britannia.

While on board, we did have a few encounters with passengers, and I can't say they were entirely comforting. Perhaps these guest were atypical, but the did seem rather puffed-up on their own self-importance, not eager to accept a "can we discuss this later?" request from the sales executives.

One of the executives did nothing to allay my trepidations when, during a discussion about cross-selling to my Cunard Grills customers, he remarked that the problem many folks find with Grills is that when they leave their area they express distaste in "having to mingle with the regular people" and pointed out this was one of the beauties and selling features of Silversea.

In order to calm some warning bells going off, I hoped to visit the Silversea forums here and see a pleasant cross-section of passengers - it was my own bad luck to encounter this thread first. :o

For the OP and others, I should and do apologize for my knee-jerk reaction. I really do understand how little things can be annoying. In this case, the TA encountered some resistance, overcame it, and then reported the conflict back either because, as the OP said, they are old friends and such information flows freely, or, as I've seen in other cases, to make themselves look good by showing how much they do and fostering an us-vs-them mentality which keeps the client from booking with the line directly in the future.

I do have to be honest though and say that the OP's second hand exposure to this conversation would result in a thumbs down condemnation of Silversea's customer service struck me as overkill, and another poster's suggested obsequious phone script ("Please accept our sincere apologies.") just seamed like icing on the cake. Or the Gateau St. Honore as the case may be. :D

I'm sure I'm just being a drama queen (I have a great talent for it!), but I am hoping to find a place for Silversea in my toolbox, and in more of my mainstream and premium clients' travel plans. I'm trying to get a feel for the dynamics onboard, but it looks like I'll just have to do a run at some point to judge for myself. Its an ugly job, but someone has to do it.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived