Silversea Customer Service Attitude

Mike2131

A few things to keep in mind

1) only a very small percentage of SS cruisers are active on these forums

2) I find that many people will visit to complain and not much else

3) many of these same people make tremendous mountains out of molehills

4) I too have encountered a few "puffed up" people, but as a general rule

everyone is quite nice. You just avoid the puffers.

I have not encountered ANYTHING that would make me feel that I don't want to cruise on SS in the future. Stay calm, don't freak.:D

Mike,

I sail Silverseas and Queens Grill on Cunard, and I really do not see any difference in the type of passengers. I rarely have found any self-important persons on either lines. Perhaps the only difference is that passengers in Queens Grill are a little older than the usual Silverseas passenger. Personally, this does not worry me.

Regards,

Louise

We have cruised with Silversea for five years taking 6 cruises in that time. The passengers are a wonderful mix from all over the world. Many from the US but also from many countries in Europe as well as from Australia, South Africa and NZ and Asia. This makes for interesting meetings and meals with like minded passengers, after all the Silversea itineraries tend to be a bit 'different'. If you do not wish to spend time with another passenger you do not have to, with the free seating for meals. Another very important factor is the fabulous crew for whom nothing is too much a trouble (a cliche, I know, but it is true).

I am not sure right now of the spelling, but we always refer to her as "Marsha B of Silversea" and she in the very best.

I guess this is the same SS rep that I am working with (formerly JerryJ) from Indonesia. Very glad to see the positive assessments!

Sure Dan. At this point. I haven't traveled on Silversea as a passenger. As a travel agent, I've been given the promo pitch and taken aboard the Silver Shadow for a day to tour the facilities, the cabins and have lunch with some of the sales execs.

I quite like the bones of the product - the Silver Shadow is wonderful, the cabins smartly designed and laid-out, the facilities splendid and the food terrific. The numbers are very eye-opening too - for some itineraries, the price is comparable to a premium line, not the luxury line she is.

My only concern is the passenger dynamics, and really, that's only so I can ensure the experience meets the expectations of some of my various clients. In general, the premium and luxury clients I deal with are a down-to-earth bunch and appreciate a friendly atmosphere - think Oceania and Cunard, both Grills and Britannia.

While on board, we did have a few encounters with passengers, and I can't say they were entirely comforting. Perhaps these guest were atypical, but the did seem rather puffed-up on their own self-importance, not eager to accept a "can we discuss this later?" request from the sales executives.

One of the executives did nothing to allay my trepidations when, during a discussion about cross-selling to my Cunard Grills customers, he remarked that the problem many folks find with Grills is that when they leave their area they express distaste in "having to mingle with the regular people" and pointed out this was one of the beauties and selling features of Silversea.

In order to calm some warning bells going off, I hoped to visit the Silversea forums here and see a pleasant cross-section of passengers - it was my own bad luck to encounter this thread first. :o

For the OP and others, I should and do apologize for my knee-jerk reaction. I really do understand how little things can be annoying. In this case, the TA encountered some resistance, overcame it, and then reported the conflict back either because, as the OP said, they are old friends and such information flows freely, or, as I've seen in other cases, to make themselves look good by showing how much they do and fostering an us-vs-them mentality which keeps the client from booking with the line directly in the future.

I do have to be honest though and say that the OP's second hand exposure to this conversation would result in a thumbs down condemnation of Silversea's customer service struck me as overkill, and another poster's suggested obsequious phone script ("Please accept our sincere apologies.") just seamed like icing on the cake. Or the Gateau St. Honore as the case may be. :D

I'm sure I'm just being a drama queen (I have a great talent for it!), but I am hoping to find a place for Silversea in my toolbox, and in more of my mainstream and premium clients' travel plans. I'm trying to get a feel for the dynamics onboard, but it looks like I'll just have to do a run at some point to judge for myself. Its an ugly job, but someone has to do it.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, if you have the opportunity I would try to take a Silversea cruise. Personally I believe that this adds to the value that the TA can provide to their clients. I also think its good to try out the other luxury cruise lines or those where your client base tends to cruise.

At the same time I would not judge the passengers by a couple of enounters. Not all passengers are the same on any cruise line/ship. You will meet many you get along with, others that you will have minimal interaction and probably some you won't enjoy or haven much in common with. That is true of life.

As to the customer service represenative. I certainly would not judge the cruise line based on that one representative. But I do think this is an example where each person from any company represents that company. They can enhance the company or detract by the company based on their interaction with passengers and TA's. I am one of those who did say that the customer service representative should have said, "my apologies that the package only included one tag. This is the first time I have heard of this. I will get a new one out to you." This isn't something that needed t be scripted. It is just good customer service.

Keith

Lots of good comments by Keith and others. In the next week or so, we should be getting our documents (and baggage tags) from Silversea. I'm sure they'll have enough for us and our bags. This will be our first time on Silversea. BUT, from our two previous cruises, on Crystal and Seabourn, our impressions of the other fellow passengers was extremely good. I assume, based on talking with others who have traveled with Silversea, is that at this "level" of cruise line, most all of the people don't have to "strut around" and/or phony up their self-importance. They are pretty confident in themselves and do not try to "brag up" the size of their cabin, what they do back home, etc. In fact, they enjoy being understated, knowing most others are there to enjoy the cruise, the port stops, people they meet, etc.

In having some contact with the Silversea staff by phone and e-mail for my little detail questions, I've have been very favorable impressed, as I was in dealing with Crystal and Seabourn staff previously. They understand their customers and I have been very impressed by their patience, knowledge, interest, etc. Last week, I talked with Laura P. in guest relations and she was so super good and extremely helpful. Someone might make a mistake, but on average, I am confident things will work out very, very well during our first cruise with Silversea. I'll do some live postings from our cruise and will be reporting how things are on the "front lines" on the Silver Cloud.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The "saga" continues with a brief detour into the Twilight Zone. Our TA received the replacement luggage tag from Silversea yesterday and thought the package felt a little odd. Inside was not the luggage tag but one of the silver tape strips you attach dockside to route your bag to your cabin. After all the discussion between our TA and the Silversea rep (a lady) there was no doubt about what was to be sent. Our TA called Silversea back and got a different rep (a gentleman this time) and explained the situation. The response was "Well, they are really just decorative and should not be used on hand luggage, etc.". Another is being relutantly sent overnight today. We are going to guard these closely since they seem to be so precious.

Our TA and I really had a good laugh about this situation. It must be the exception that proves the rule (I hope), but it is a fantastic object lesson in how to not handle client relations.

The "saga" continues with a brief detour into the Twilight Zone. Our TA received the replacement luggage tag from Silversea yesterday and thought the package felt a little odd. Inside was not the luggage tag but one of the silver tape strips you attach dockside to route your bag to your cabin. After all the discussion between our TA and the Silversea rep (a lady) there was no doubt about what was to be sent. Our TA called Silversea back and got a different rep (a gentleman this time) and explained the situation. The response was "Well, they are really just decorative and should not be used on hand luggage, etc.". Another is being relutantly sent overnight today. We are going to guard these closely since they seem to be so precious.

Our TA and I really had a good laugh about this situation. It must be the exception that proves the rule (I hope), but it is a fantastic object lesson in how to not handle client relations.

Oh Boy. I am actually not surprised.

Yes, if you would just shut up about this, you can have whatever number never used luggage tags. The new luggage tags are sooooo worthless. Geeesh! Let me know how to get them to you and they are yours.

Yes, if you would just shut up about this, you can have whatever number never used luggage tags. The new luggage tags are sooooo worthless. Geeesh! Let me know how to get them to you and they are yours.

But, isn't the OP's issue about the poor customer relations? He said himself, that he's not concerned about the tags but about the response to this small request. As someone new to the cruise line, he must have been left wondering how they would respond in a major problem situation, if the response to a trivial problem was so unpleasant. The client service rep he dealt with may not be typical of Silversea, but he/she does represent the company in all dealings with customers.

Look, it was the T/A who handled this booking with SS not the OP.

It's the T/A's job to solve, no-one Else's, not even the clients.

That's why you use a TA and pay them a commission.

To make the whole business transaction and holiday experience the best and most seamless as possible, dealing with the problems and smoothing out all the bumps in the road.

The T/A should have never handed/allowed the incomplete package to get to the OP in the first place. It's their job to check. He/she should have dealt with this behind the scenes and done their job without involving the client until it is a matter of last resort. Passing on or allowing to be passed on incomplete material rests fully with the T/A and is very unprofessional.

For the T/A to dampen the experience for the OP in the first place, shows a lack of customer service.

If a wedding planner dumped all the problems on the bride, or told her how hard or bad it is to run her wedding because of the cake company, why use a planner in the first place.

I disagree with Kieth that the T/A did the right thing by involving the client up front.

The client should only be brought in when all else fails.

Especially at this end of the luxury market.

I'm sure a lot of things go belly up behind the scene, that's why l use an experienced T/A.

My T/A would never face me with such inconsequential dribble and would have solved this without me ever knowing.

The T/A in question here did not do this, and they now have an unhappy client.

I am glad l don't use your T/A OP and thank god for mine.

If he or she can't even solve a luggage label, how can you trust them with an air ticketing or hotel or transfer problems.

I have to agree with Jaffa on this one. The tickets / tags etc. go to the TA first, then they are forwarded to the client. The TA should have rectified the problem before forwarding to the client.

Host Dan

I have to agree with Jaffa on this one. The tickets / tags etc. go to the TA first, then they are forwarded to the client. The TA should have rectified the problem before forwarding to the client.

Host Dan

Yesterday afternoon we got via FedEx the silver box with our cruise tickets. They were sent direct to us, not to our TA first. Nice dark red leather, baggage tags, stitched lettering saying "Silversea", helpful info to leave at home on how to contact us at each port in an emergency, etc. Very impressive! We only got two of the leather baggage tags. I just sent a little note to our TA. She has extras of those tags and will send a couple more to us for me and my wife. No problem or big deal, either way. We're more focused on the higher importance issues and questions, like getting sunny and 70F for June 30 and July 1 in CPH. I sent a message to some Ohio friends who are now stationed in Copenhagen. He is working on and taking responsibility for this challenge. His response to my weather request this morning: "Ok I'm doing a funky jewish viking rain dance right now."

This is what several of us said much earlier. This situation was not between SS and the customer but between SS and another vendor (the TA) The snag simply should be resolved. The end user does not profit from being involved in such minor machinations

Yesterday afternoon we got via FedEx the silver box with our cruise tickets. They were sent direct to us, not to our TA first. Nice dark red leather, baggage tags, stitched lettering saying "Silversea", helpful info to leave at home on how to contact us at each port in an emergency, etc. Very impressive! We only got two of the leather baggage tags. I just sent a little note to our TA. She has extras of those tags and will send a couple more to us for me and my wife. No problem or big deal, either way. We're more focused on the higher importance issues and questions, like getting sunny and 70F for June 30 and July 1 in CPH. I sent a message to some Ohio friends who are now stationed in Copenhagen. He is working on and taking responsibility for this challenge. His response to my weather request this morning: "Ok I'm doing a funky jewish viking rain dance right now."

Hmm, I wonder if this is something new. My TA mentioned a few months ago how impressive the ticket package was that he was sending to his clients... Any TA's out there that can let us know if SS now sends directly to the client, or maybe there is an option the TA can choose?

Host Dan

Terry, Are you hoping for rain? Isn't that what a rain dance brings? I have it on the highest authority that weather in Copenhagen and Norway will be perfect!!

I think the "joke" from our friend was that if you do a "funky jewish viking rain dance" in Copenhagen, it will achieve the opposite. Let's hope it works that way in this part of the world.

On Host Dan's question of "Any TA's out there that can let us know if SS now sends directly to the client, or maybe there is an option the TA can choose?", our TA decided sending it direct to us from SS was better. Her decision. It saved time and a logistical step. We're happy! It worked.

No need to rehash the facts except one - it is 6/10 and status quo.

The take away? You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Impression made.

Looking forward to a spectacular cruise!

I have to agree with Jaffa as well as I think I posted much earlier in this thread.

And I can't understand why docs would have been sent directly to the client. The TA should check them carefully for accuracy before the client sees them, shouldn't he/she? And to make sure the luggage tags are there!!!!

Mike,

I sail Silverseas and Queens Grill on Cunard, and I really do not see any difference in the type of passengers. I rarely have found any self-important persons on either lines. Perhaps the only difference is that passengers in Queens Grill are a little older than the usual Silverseas passenger. Personally, this does not worry me.

Regards,

Louise

I have to disagree here - I find the crowd very different between Cunard QG & Silversea....and it's the Silversea crowd that are far more down to earth & not at all status obsessed like some Cunarders I have met.

As to customer service I find SS staff in London excellent, and most Fort Lauderdale staff to be too, although consistency can occasionally be an issue. With Cunard you are just a number - even in QG. Someone mentioned Oceania; I find their call centre staff in Fort Lauderdale to be downright rude consistently.

Marie-Alice

Look, it was the T/A who handled this booking with SS not the OP.

It's the T/A's job to solve, no-one Else's, not even the clients.

That's why you use a TA and pay them a commission.

To make the whole business transaction and holiday experience the best and most seamless as possible, dealing with the problems and smoothing out all the bumps in the road.

The T/A should have never handed/allowed the incomplete package to get to the OP in the first place. It's their job to check. He/she should have dealt with this behind the scenes and done their job without involving the client until it is a matter of last resort. Passing on or allowing to be passed on incomplete material rests fully with the T/A and is very unprofessional.

For the T/A to dampen the experience for the OP in the first place, shows a lack of customer service.

If a wedding planner dumped all the problems on the bride, or told her how hard or bad it is to run her wedding because of the cake company, why use a planner in the first place.

I disagree with Kieth that the T/A did the right thing by involving the client up front.

The client should only be brought in when all else fails.

Especially at this end of the luxury market.

I'm sure a lot of things go belly up behind the scene, that's why l use an experienced T/A.

My T/A would never face me with such inconsequential dribble and would have solved this without me ever knowing.

The T/A in question here did not do this, and they now have an unhappy client.

I am glad l don't use your T/A OP and thank god for mine.

If he or she can't even solve a luggage label, how can you trust them with an air ticketing or hotel or transfer problems.

I'm sorry but I reread the OP for probably the tenth time. All the OP said was that the TA called Silversea. The person at Silversea said it was impossible that the holder had one but they were sending another. And all the TA did was relay the response back to the OP.

Whether this happened on a mass market line, a premium line, a luxury line all the TA did was pass along what happened.

And in the end, regardless of whether the TA should or shouldn't have passed the entire conversation along (if it was my TA I would have appreciated getting the full response not some sugar coated response) it doesn't take away from the fact that it was not the brightest response from the customer service rep.

IMHO the response should have been. We apologize for the inconvenience and we will send a new one out.

I have a great TA as well. She solves the problem first and then lets me know the results. She is human though and once in a while I have caught something that she hasn't.

In this case, the TA did solve the issue before getting with the OP. Yes the TA didn't notice that only one luggage tag was in the final documents box but after the OP got with the TA the TA only came back after the TA spoke with the Customer Service Representative and said another luggage tag is on its way.

Here is the bottom line from my perspective.

Some say the TA shoudn't have said anything.

Some say the TA should have said what happened.

In the end, what's most important is what the OP thinks, not any of us.

As to the Customer Service Representative, I do think it was a dumb comment to make but like anything else some will agree and some will disagree.

I only responded to all of this since my name was mentioned otherwise I was trying to take a break from this. I think this is one of these threads that has been beat to death.

Keith

Terry out of curiousity did you pre cruise documents come directly to you or to your TA.

Also, it would be interesting to know why the final documents were sent to you.

Normally I don't think that happens unless the TA asks specifically that they be sent to the client and many times that requires them to send some paperwork to the cruise line to facilitate that.

It's actually nice that the final documents went to you. It seems that Silversea sends them out a little later than some of the other cruise lines (at least that was our experience last summer).

Keith

Terry out of curiousity did you pre cruise documents come directly to you or to your TA. Also, it would be interesting to know why the final documents were sent to you. Normally I don't think that happens unless the TA asks specifically that they be sent to the client and many times that requires them to send some paperwork to the cruise line to facilitate that. It's actually nice that the final documents went to you. It seems that Silversea sends them out a little later than some of the other cruise lines (at least that was our experience last summer). Keith

THANKS, Keith! Yes, this "silver box" came direct to us. Our TA asked/suggested and we agreed, strongly, that having it sent direct to us saved time and hassles, plus costs. The fact that Silversea sent it out FedEx kind of says maybe they were running just a little close. Some people leave early for their cruise and you need to allow some "time cushion" in case something needs to be corrected. All working well. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived