LOP

When are you a Cruise Pro?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. When are you a Cruise Pro?

• 1-5 cruises
    • 6-10 cruises
    • 11-15 cruises
    • 16-20 cruises
    • OMG, is there any other way to vacation?

Sorry, there is no number that makes you a pro. Although some people do think the higher the number the more "pro" they are:( We've sailed with people that started every sentence every night at dinner with something like "this is our 40th cruise " but after listening to them for a few short minutes its hard to beleive they could be sooooo clueless and were far from pros.:eek: We've sailed with those that have sailed 4 times that were very knowledgeable about cruising that I would consider a pro. Every one's learning curve is different, but for most it's a matter of an open mind and willingness to learn that mades them a pro, not the amount of cruises that they've taken.

Sorry, there is no number that makes you a pro. Although some people do think the higher the number the more "pro" they are:( We've sailed with people that started every sentence every night at dinner with something like "this is our 40th cruise " but after listening to them for a few short minutes its hard to beleive they could be sooooo clueless and were far from pros.:eek: We've sailed with those that have sailed 4 times that were very knowledgeable about cruising that I would consider a pro. Every one's learning curve is different, but for most it's a matter of an open mind and willingness to learn that mades them a pro, not the amount of cruises that they've taken.

So true. I believe after you have sailed 3 to 4 times you know the ropes. Usually you are not given any surprises and life on board is a breeze.

I think you can sail on different ships and different lines accumulating a large number of cruises and not be a pro. On the other hand, you can sail on the same ship a few times a be a pro. LIke someone said above, it is also going with an open mind and learning all the time.

The number of cruises is important, but variety of cruise lines and ships helps a bunch. grandmato4 makes a good point about how perceptive people are and how much they educated themselves.

Ten cruises on the same line, is not the same as eight cruises on four different lines.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I think to be a "pro" you have to have to sail on all the lines and in every cabin, attend every activity, eat in every restaurant, etc...

I learn something new on each cruise. I will learn new things by doing a B2B, and when I try a different cruise line.

I don't think there is a magic number. We've been on 19 cruises, 7 different lines but I'd never put myself out there as being a "pro".

I know how to pack well...for us. I know what we like and don't like...for us. I know what expectations to have and that will be different for us than for other people.

I can answer basic questions for friends and co-workers, but I also believe in allowing them to find out some of the stuff for themselves. For instance, I will tell them that dinner is in the dining room and you want to dress nicely, but I wouldn't dream of giving them a menu. I'll tell them to order different brochures for different lines, but I'd not tell them to not cruise Carnival because I didn't care for them. I will tell them about ID requirements and insurance, they make their own choices about that.

I think the real answer is a travel agent who specializes in cruises and knows a lot about different cruise lines. And...has cruised on a number of cruise lines. Like any other industry, travel agents study and work towards their education and are worth using. You just have to find the right one.

How many cruise do you have to have under your belt before you are considered a "Pro"?:D

Actually it is not based on the number of cruises you have been on. It is based on the number of posts you have on Cruise Critic.

Depends on the person. If someone is here every day learning all the rules and cabins, and facts about ships ... some people are going to pick up information faster than others.

I know Im the type to want to know all the details I can learn.

In response to number of replies here. It depends. I know in the Alaska section I have given some help for those going it alone on day trips or extended trips in Alaska. The reason is simple I know Alaska. I dont know the cruise ships of alaska as ive never actually been on a cruise before so some things I cant help with. But I also love to read and learn the ropes as much as I can before I go. It helps me have a better vaca but thats me. So each of us are differnt when it comes to who is a cruise expert and who isent.

Adri :)

I am a "cruiser" in the sense that I sail out for days at a time in a 26ft sloop on the Great Lakes. I have only cruised comercially 3 times (booked for my 4th in November) Thanks to all the expert advice and insights from all of you I feel like I am "standing on the shoulders of giants" when choosing, booking and planning my cruise.

I am an expert by absorbtion.

Thanks guys!

I am a "cruiser" in the sense that I sail out for days at a time in a 26ft sloop on the Great Lakes. I have only cruised comercially 3 times (booked for my 4th in November) Thanks to all the expert advice and insights from all of you I feel like I am "standing on the shoulders of giants" when choosing, booking and planning my cruise.

I am an expert by absorbtion.

Thanks guys!

I would love to take a sail boat out on Lake Michigan. DH and I want to own a sail boat one day... but we are so addicted to cruising that we keep spending our $$ that way!

We have well over 100 cruises and I don't consider myself a cruise pro.

There is always something new to learn about the ships and ports.

KK,

You are much closer to being a pro compared to 99.9% of all Travel Agents!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I would love to take a sail boat out on Lake Michigan. DH and I want to own a sail boat one day... but we are so addicted to cruising that we keep spending our $$ that way!

The trick is to be born to a mom and dad that sail. Then you can just take your dad's boat out whenever you want to. That's what I do and it's so much easier than buying and docking your own boat. ;)

Dad and I taught my kids to sail long ago and now I'm teaching my husband. (we are newlywed) so I always have access to a boat and crew.

But there is nothing like *BIG WATER* and I'll be takingy new husband on his first comercial cruise this November. My goal is to get him hooked on water so I can become a "cruise expert" as soon as possible!

The trick is to be born to a mom and dad that sail. Then you can just take your dad's boat out whenever you want to. That's what I do and it's so much easier than buying and docking your own boat. ;)

Dad and I taught my kids to sail long ago and now I'm teaching my husband. (we are newlywed) so I always have access to a boat and crew.

But there is nothing like *BIG WATER* and I'll be takingy new husband on his first comercial cruise this November. My goal is to get him hooked on water so I can become a "cruise expert" as soon as possible!

Good luck! You are right, there is nothing quite like being out in the open water of the beautiful ocean.

I've sailed on 18 cruises on seven different cruise lines. I don't consider myself a pro, just a gifted amateur.

Ditto, I thought a "pro" was someone who got paid for their expertise. No one is paying me to go on a cruise, therefore I'm not a pro yet, just an amatuer. ;) But I'm hoping to be a lottery pick one day though.

I think it depends. I've been on 3 and am "pro" enough to advise my noncruiser friends on what to do and not to do for their first cruise. I'm not "pro" enough to advise on the difference between a 4 C and 6 C room category. :D

Archived