Is an 11:10 am flight from Miami doable?

loug1601

Hi,

Thinking of booking a flight at 11:10 on Sunday 10/24 from Miami to Newark, using Continental Airlines.

We can be off the ship (Liberty of the Seas) as early as necessary. The next flight is not until 4:30 pm. We would hate to wait that long.

There will be 4 of us. Two fifty somethings and to twenty somethings, no kids.

Shoud we feel "relatively" safe booking this flight? I want to book today.

Thanks,

Pat

You know already how early you can get off the ship (assuming the ship arrives on time, of course)? What day of the week (thinking of traffic)? Is the price the same for both flights? If you took the early flight and didn't make it, what would be the consequences in terms of re-booking (assuming there were still seats on the latter flight)? MIA lines, at the ticket counters and security, can be long. Would it be a burden to take your time disembarking, have lunch nearby or at the airport, and take the later flight? Is there a place you could store the bags so you could walk around the port/downtown area before going to the airport?

Your chances of making that flight aren't good at all. The lines at MIA are long and slow. The TSA lines are really slow.

And the walks are very long inside the airport.

You can't leave your ship until it is cleared by customs. If there is any delay at all, you have no chance to get that flight. It is cheaper and available for this reason.

I wouldn't feel relatively safe booking this flight. I book nothing before noon from Miami on a weekend day and prefer 1 pm. You don't know what time you are going to be off the ship as none of us know until that moment comes and you dont know what kind of lines you are going to find at the airport. We've found some pretty long slow lines at that airport.

If everything does go smoothly for you then that flight time would be fine. Its a gamble only you can decide for yourself. Good Luck!:)

I would not do this. I don't care how many people tell you that it will be alright. There are too many things that can go wrong and this includes ship arriving to port late, ship not being cleared on time due to a variety of reasons, not immediately finding the luggage and the list goes on and on.

Again, you will find some that say it was all fine but that does not mean it will be fine for you.

Keith

While the theory that anything can happen is true - we have made an early flight with no problems over the past 5 years (as recently as last month)

We have caught the same AA flight that has left as early at 10:30 and as late as 11:00 AM.

Check in on line from the ship. We take a cab and use the curb side for bags, but at that time I don't see why inside wouldn't work just as well.

Go for it. Beats sitting around all day.

I wouldn't do it.

You may make it, but you may not.

I'd hate to ruin the last day of the cruise worrying about getting off the ship early and hope there are no delays, etc.

Have you considered AA at 11:50?

What are the consequences if you don't make the flight? Change fee, plus chance that later flights are filled (or by that time have higher fares)? Someone may say "go for it," but you're the one who would have to pay extra fees, etc. If you feel the risk is worth sitting around all day (or killing time by walking around the port/downtown area), then, indeed, go for it. Just be aware of the consequences if you don't make it.

I wouldn't risk it, but do airplines still do "stand-by" flights? Catch earlier if you have time, but count on the later flight? Kathy

Kathy just about every flight seems to be full. So, if you miss your flight even if there is another flight later in the day the odds are fairly high that it will be sold out.

Keith

seems like it would be tight. The ship would need to get there right on time and disembarkation would have to go really smooth...which it didnt when were there, and you would need to be sure to be in one of the very first groups off the ship. I would back it up a little

My take is that I just spent a good deal of money for a relaxing vacation and the last thing I want to do is throw the money away by stressing myself on the last day.

That being said, Royal Caribbean suggests the it's quite possible, see here.

Wow - thats a handy tool - I didn't even know that was there.

We do a lot of short cruises on the Majesty. Always catch the same AA flight from Miami to Raleigh that has left as early as 10:40AM and as late as 11:10AM. AA changes the schedule. But in any case - I have never missed a flight yet.

I've flown CO out of MIA many times. Unlike some airlines, namely AA which has a major hub in MIA, CO has a very small presence at MIA and therefore checkin and security lines are not long at all (in my experiences). I personally wouldn't hesitate to book this flight.

I've flown CO out of MIA many times. Unlike some airlines, namely AA which has a major hub in MIA, CO has a very small presence at MIA and therefore checkin and security lines are not long at all (in my experiences). I personally wouldn't hesitate to book this flight.

CO doesn't have it's own "security line".

You know these types of threads seem to go on and on and on without any closure. I think the OP needs to figure this out. It is not all about lines at the airport. It is about whether the ship arrives on time and whether it is cleared on time and then the other factors just add to this.

If this was me, I would go with the later flight so I didn't spend half my time on the cruise worrying about this. I have seen first hand ships delayed getting cleared in Miami, New York City and Los Angeles (San Pedro) and folks missing their flights.

I am also the person who recommends flying in at least a day before the cruise and earlier for those cruise outside the USA. Some agree and others don't.

In the end, it is the OP or others in this situation who have to live with the consequences of the time the book a flight. So, it's great to say it will be fine or it will be not but the OP has to make the decison and if the OP misses the flight it is the OP who has to deal with the situation.

Keith

Archived