NCL Hell - Beware

Don,

not only are you playing the Thought Police but you are policing English Composition as well.

So...why did you feel the need to bring a sexual references into it?

Sexual reference ???

How do I always miss that .

If you have followed the debate on this thread between several Schengen/EU-citizens, you know that it is NOT the law. Besides: what "European law"? We are talking about Schengen-legislation here.

Schengen or not Schengen, anyway each person has to have a proper travel document when in a foreign country. And even for traveling within the Schengen countries you need to have a proper travel document although there are no border controls anymore. Even if you´re a citizen of a Schengen country you have to carry a proper travel document outside of your home country.

That IS law!

steamboats

I think that the poster meant to say "racial" not "sexual".

Sometimes my mind also thinks one thing, and types another.

No, I meant to sexual. How do you think the term "sucks" came about?

"You suck" is an abbreviation of accusing someone of performing fellatio.

I was busting the poster that implied the OP was racist for being a hypocrite.

Actually, it is believed to have derived from street racing. Slower cars were said to be left sucking exhaust fumes from the faster cars. :rolleyes:

And, personally, I commend the poster for asking the significance of the pickpockets' skin color. The OP said it, it is reasonable to ask what it means. :)

First, please allow me to divulge, despite the facts, that I'm an attorney in Illinois (state & federal courts) and retired Assistant Attorney General, I have no special knowledge of the current maritime, international, or passport control laws, especially in our super security times. Therefore, this information is not intended, nor should it be used, as legal advice.

Like everyone, when I go ashore, I rely on the "documents needed" recomendations of NCL. That's why we usually leave our passports in the cabin safe and we each carry copies of both our passports, unless NCL has said "passports required" ashore (e.g. Russia).

That said, I know that law enforcement begins with non lawyers from the bureacratic, police, and ship's crew ranks, who may have imperfect or incorrect knowledge of the law.

Since, NCL had seen and scanned the passenger's passports and IDs, upon intial boarding, they had actual knowledge of proper documentation for rentry at the final disembarkation port. Thus, I suspect (but don't know) the decsion by NCL to remove the passenger was based upon an incorrect interpretation of the law but a decsion that was forseeable in these toubled times.

If I'd been in this situation, once back on board, I would never have informed NCL of my passport loss and would have stayed aboard until the disembarkation port, enjoying the ship's venues. I would have followed the maxim: "what THEY don't know, can't hurt ME."

I would have begun the loss notification process by email from the ship. Then, I would have taken necessary document replacement steps, upon arrival in the final disembarkation port.

I don't intend any disparagement of the victims. In a crisis, no one is thinking with complete clarity. I'm attempting to suggest a plan for others who may be confronted by a similar situation, in the future.

Respectfully,

John (Uniall)

PS Most US states issue ID cards as well as driver's licenses. We carry our state IDs ashore and leave our driver's licenses and emergency use only credit cards in the safe with the passports.

Nah, I'm still going with Freudian slip.:p

Actually, it is believed to have derived from street racing. Slower cars were said to be left sucking exhaust fumes from the faster cars. :rolleyes:

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. That's exactly where it comes from.

To the OP - too much information. You should have thought the problem through on your own instead of running to the employees for help.

Never fails to amaze me how many people in this world are content being led around by the nose hairs. Pay attention to your surroundings next time.

You would think the ships were adult daycares for pete's sake.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. That's exactly where it comes from.

To the OP - too much information. You should have thought the problem through on your own instead of running to the employees for help.

Never fails to amaze me how many people in this world are content being led around by the nose hairs. Pay attention to your surroundings next time.

You would think the ships were adult daycares for pete's sake.

This is a nasty und unnecessary post. I work in the hospitality industry and airline business for a long time now. Passengers think "I am sure they have dealt with this situation before, let's ask what they would/can do". And yes... if somebody is ill in my hotel, I do know which doctor to ring. When I was still working at the airport as a checkin- and gate supervisor, I dealt with lost/stolen/expired passports all the time, multiple times a day.

Perhaps a lesson which we can take from the situation is to think through what we would do if we were in the situation where our passport and credit card(s) had been lost or stolen, in a foreign port.

Perhaps a better option than initially reporting this siuation to the ship's staff would be to work on getting the credit card(s) cancelled, and also on researching the information about the embassy at the next port (hours, location, etc.) so you can have a day to deal with the situation upon arriving at the next port.

One other lesson I have taken from this thread is to use one credit card for the on board account, and to lock that credit card in the room safe, while taking a different credit card ashore. That way, if the shoreside credit card is stolen, and needs to be cancelled, I'm still able to make charges on board.

Whatever happened, it sounds like a horrible experience for the OP. Let's hope we can all learn from it.

• 2 weeks later...

The OP was advised to write to CC by the members of a long running thread on the main UK review site. The same thread contains information of how other cruise lines have dealt with similar problems. Many pickpockets are immigrants to Europe from N. Africa and Eastern nations. Boat people from places such as Morocco arrive frequently, and many more displaced persons are trafficked through Europe. Most of these will need a passport, and there will always be a "Mr Big" to organise this. Wherever there are crowds, these stateless people will gather, and look for easy pickings. Ports have been notorious for this for centuries.

Jo.

You all realize that it's been 17 days, and the OP hasn't been back to post again, even once...save your breath.

I think she probably prefers to post on the UK site, which is still very much alive and less critical.

Jo.

I think she probably prefers to post on the UK site, which is still very much alive and less critical.

Jo.

First of all - Which UK site are you talking about ?

Secondly - I don't think pick pockets are just in Europe. Some cities are more notorious but I think they exist in any city where there are crowds.

When we were in Lourdes, France which is a religious pilgramage town, there were police patrolling the main areas where crowds gather because of the pick pockets.

The trouble is that if your passport/credit cards are stolen when you are on holiday it can be a disaster , if they are stolen in your home town it is an inconvenience.

Presuming the OP was being sincere - NCL could have been more helpful. On the newsletter there is always the name, address, tel. number of the local agent. NCL could have phoned him and instructed him to come and pick up the husband.

We always leave our passports on board but I never thought what a problem it would be if we had to miss the ship.

Secondly - I don't think pick pockets are just in Europe. Some cities are more notorious but I think they exist in any city where there are crowds.

When we were in Lourdes, France which is a religious pilgramage town, there were police patrolling the main areas where crowds gather because of the pick pockets.

The trouble is that if your passport/credit cards are stolen when you are on holiday it can be a disaster , if they are stolen in your home town it is an inconvenience.

Presuming the OP was being sincere - NCL could have been more helpful. On the newsletter there is always the name, address, tel. number of the local agent. NCL could have phoned him and instructed him to come and pick up the husband.

We always leave our passports on board but I never thought what a problem it would be if we had to miss the ship.

Probably this:

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000002451 StartFragment:0000002292 EndFragment:0000002415 http://www.cruises.co.uk/674-questions_answers/7489-barcelona_pickpockets_beware.html

Thanks.

When someone mentioned the UK site I thought there was a UK version of CC !!!!

Unfortunately there are still some American posters who seem to look down on us Europeans and seem to be highly critical with phrases like "european hygene leaves much to be desired" "european standards are lower" "cruise expectations are lower for Europeans" "european hotels are not up to US standard" and that is why so many Brits feel more at ease on the UK forum.

It's such a pity that these prejudices cloud some threads.

Thanks.

When someone mentioned the UK site I thought there was a UK version of CC !!!!

Unfortunately there are still some American posters who seem to look down on us Europeans and seem to be highly critical with phrases like "european hygene leaves much to be desired" "european standards are lower" "cruise expectations are lower for Europeans" "european hotels are not up to US standard" and that is why so many Brits feel more at ease on the UK forum.

It's such a pity that these prejudices cloud some threads.

This is so sad to hear.

You all realize that it's been 17 days, and the OP hasn't been back to post again, even once...save your breath.

yes she has, and her posts have been deleted. there's comment on same further up

What, you mean "American" isn't always "the best"? ;)

If it's any consolation, the "ugly American" probably comes from an inferiority complex. We (my generation at least, not sure what is taught nowadays) were brought up thinking that UK and European art and culture were superior, but we got "everything else" right. LOL. I prefer to enjoy the differences when I travel and not think in terms of inferior or superior.

Archived