Any chance of getting a 10:30 outbound flight?

moondoggie

Some airlines, such as American, no longer allow free standy ... they call it a same-day ticket change and charge $50/person.

I can see them doing that if they 'have you over a barrel' because you missed your flight and have to take a later one, but it would be self-defeating for them to do that if you wanted an earlier one.

Oh well, great minds at work.....

So what's the earliest you would book?

Noon? 1p?

At FLL or San Diego where the airport is really close by I might take a chance on 11:30. In places where you have an hour ride to the airport, 12:30 or later.

At FLL or San Diego where the airport is really close by I might take a chance on 11:30. In places where you have an hour ride to the airport, 12:30 or later.

I would NEVER take a chance on 11:30. Read my above post.........THAT happened in San Diego.

(Re: same-day-flight changes for a fee) I can see them doing that if they 'have you over a barrel' because you missed your flight and have to take a later one, but it would be self-defeating for them to do that if you wanted an earlier one.

They charge for earlier flight changes because of the following situation:

You are in city ABC on business travel.

You want to get to DEF at the end of the business day.

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 5PM

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 6PM

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 730PM

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 9PM

The 5PM flight is the most expensive, since all the other business travelers want to be on it as well. The 6PM is just a bit cheaper. The 730 really doesn't have many business folk on it, and the 9PM flight is nearly empty.

So, why not book the (super cheap) 9PM return flight, get to the airport early, and hope for a free standby onto the 5PM or 6PM? You might get stuck in a middle seat for an hour or two, but think of your savings...

If you do that, the airline "lost" the $$ difference could have gotten if you had originally booked the flight that you really wanted (and ended up standing by for).

Make sense?

As others have said, how comfortable are you with the risk. For us, out of FLL, I'd do it in a minute and not even be that worried. Airport is very close to the pier. Though it is not a very efficient airport, I would still do it.

If you've ever been to the Fort Lauderdale airport you wouldn't even ask that question. It's just not built to handle the bulk of cruise ship passengers, especially when there's more than one ship coming in the same day. The place can be a zoo. So in answer to your question, my answer is "no". Why not see if you couldn't get transportation to Miami and fly out from there?

Interesting topic this and as usual on CC, some very informative information coming from it. Now, not having been to FL before, same day as disembarkation from Westerdam, (arrival 0700) we are flying from FL to Quebec City via Detroit with Delta, 3.15pm flight from FL, that should be enough time to cater for disbark, immigration, transfer to FL, check in etc?

What say ye ?

I can see them doing that if they 'have you over a barrel' because you missed your flight and have to take a later one, but it would be self-defeating for them to do that if you wanted an earlier one.

Oh well, great minds at work.....

While I understand your explanation and logic ... just pointing out that as of February (I think) this year American is charging $50 as a same-day ticket change fee for those who wish to standby for an earlier flight. I think some high-flying premium people may be exempt, but the fee applies to the rest of us. Not sure which, if any, other airlines assess the same type of fee.

I believe that if you miss your flight for some reason other than airline delays, you will be waitlisted and fly when a seat becomes available. That likely is typical of most or all carriers.

Fees, such as those for same-day ticket change or checked bag, are adding some major monies to the bottom line of the airlines that assess them.

I think some high-flying premium people may be exempt,

Most airlines exempt those with status (not just the highest status) from these kinds of charges. And while I am one of those with status on multiple airlines, I would still risk making a 10:30am flight out of FLL on an airline on which I had no status - the $50 change fee is part of the risk assessment.

They charge for earlier flight changes because of the following situation:

You are in city ABC on business travel.

You want to get to DEF at the end of the business day.

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 5PM

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 6PM

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 730PM

There is a flight going ABC->DEF at 9PM

The 5PM flight is the most expensive, since all the other business travelers want to be on it as well. The 6PM is just a bit cheaper. The 730 really doesn't have many business folk on it, and the 9PM flight is nearly empty.

So, why not book the (super cheap) 9PM return flight, get to the airport early, and hope for a free standby onto the 5PM or 6PM? You might get stuck in a middle seat for an hour or two, but think of your savings...

If you do that, the airline "lost" the $$ difference could have gotten if you had originally booked the flight that you really wanted (and ended up standing by for).

Make sense?

Yes.

And no.

If the early seat goes out empty, they will still get zero dollars for it. And if the scenario's I mentioned happen, they will lose even more.

Archived