Dining menu options

pawlett47

We will be shortly going on a Princess cruise for the first time(Crown), having previously sailed with Celebrity and P&O.

Any advice as to what are the" must try items" on the MDR menu, and to how the quality of food compares to Celebrity/P&O.

Thanks

We will be shortly going on a Princess cruise for the first time(Crown), having previously sailed with Celebrity and P&O.

Any advice as to what are the" must try items" on the MDR menu, and to how the quality of food compares to Celebrity/P&O.

All of the menus in all of the dining rooms are the same, i.e., there's no "Main" dining room. The menus change from day-to-day but there are "Always Available" items that are great. Food and tastes are very subjective.

Love the "Love Boat Dream" for dessert, rich, chocolate and like a mousse but richer.

I think the food on Princess is about the same as on Celebrity. We prefer traditional fixed dining and have managed to get it for all but one of our Princess cruises. But the menus are the same in the "anytime" dining rooms.

The International Cafe is one of our favorite places for a light lunch or afternoon snack. They serve the best chicken salad there as well as sandwiches and pastries.

Princess serves tea in the dining room every afternoon. You need to try it at least once. When we sailed on Celebrity, they only offered a formal tea once during our cruise.

Some of my favorite entrees have been lamb chops, scallops, prime rib, lobster tail with huge shrimp, and shrimp fra diavalo.

What I really like you may hate!! But here are my "must eats"....

* fettucine alfredo - as a starter / first course

* pina colada soup

* cheesecake (I know you cabn have this anywhere but I love it!)

* volcano

* room service - caramel flan (more like a creme caramel)

* choc chip cookies

There are lots of other yummy things to eat but these are my favourites.

Sorry can't compare to P&O as never been on their ships. Did Celebrity once but it was many years ago (my first ever cruise), so any food comparison is useless - and I can't really remember the food anyway.

Best wishes.

We were on the Crown last Spring and were generally disappointed in the quality of food as well as the range of choices in the MDR. It's one of the reasons we'll do four nights in the specialty restaurants on our 12-night cruise in ten days. Not sure about Celebrity. We had better luck on RCI and Carnival. But it's edible function/banquet food.

Desserts......anything crème brule, soufflé, flambéed is usually to die for

Onion soup is the best .....almost a full meal in itself.

Pizza is great as previously mentioned. This is a great option if you do an excursion and yo get back late in the afternoon.

Think about the ultimate balcony dinner ($50 p/p) or the chef's table ($75 P/P) or the champagne breakfast( $32) all wonderful options. Have enjoyed all of these.

Love the "Love Boat Dream" for dessert, rich, chocolate and like a mousse but richer.

Used to love it, but they have changed it over the past several years. Not as rich now. And instead of a crunchy bottom, it now has a brownie bottom. And it no longer has the piece of Godiva chocolate with the sea witch symbol.

Desserts......anything crème brule, soufflé, flambéed is usually to die for

Onion soup is the best .....almost a full meal in itself.

Pizza is great as previously mentioned. This is a great option if you do an excursion and yo get back late in the afternoon.

Think about the ultimate balcony dinner ($50 p/p) or the chef's table ($75 P/P) or the champagne breakfast( $32) all wonderful options. Have enjoyed all of these.

Ditto on the desserts!!! The cre'me brule is to die for!

Thanks

Every night has a different theme. Here are some of my favourites:

First Formal night (forgot the name of the menu for that night):

Pasta w/Veal and Mushrooms

Caribbean Dinner:

Key Lime Pie

Chef's Dinner:

Goat Cheese Souffle

Italian Dinner:

Eggplant Parmesan

The Always Available part of the menu includes a very nice shrimp cocktail, a really good Caesar salad, which will come with anchovies upon request, and Fettucini Alfredo, which is divine and can be ordered in a starter or main course portion.

In general, anything Italian on the menu is wonderful as Princess has Italian chefs/menus from when they absorbed the old Italian line, Sitmar.

Buon Appetito!

Used to love it, but they have changed it over the past several years. Not as rich now. And instead of a crunchy bottom, it now has a brownie bottom. And it no longer has the piece of Godiva chocolate with the sea witch symbol.
Bummer! I'll have to check it out on our September cruise.

The souffles on Princess are always good.

Does that include carrot souffle? I can only get it from one place locally, so eating it on a cruise ship would be awesome.

The poster who said fettuchine alfredo should be a starter course has no idea how hard it is to stop eating that stuff. No matter where I order it from, I eat more than half of my main dish plate.

Do all 17 Princess ships have the same dining room menu, pizzas, and buffet choices?

Chef's Dinner:

Goat Cheese Souffle

Italian Dinner:

Eggplant Parmesan

I wholeheartedly agree with both of these, and am looking forward to having them again this year, plus the fettucini alfredo. Unfortunately they don't serve the caribbean dinner on Alaskan cruises, so I don't recall seeing key lime pie, which is a shame because I love it.

Having never been on Princess, I've been stalking the Princess boards for the last few weeks to learn what I can. I've noticed several people commenting on special orders 24 hours in advance.

Is there a limit to what you can order off menu, and how often you can do it?

What are the best "off menu" dishes?

I agree with the fettucine alfredo. Order it from the starter / first course selection. It comes in an edible cheese bowl!

I also order fresh berries for breakfast in the MDR. Not on the menu, but they will brng it.

Archived