I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

This is a picture of a wild badger in our garden.

That door is open and the badger is just over eighteen inches away from me which meant my camera was struggling to focus on this beautiful animal. The camera is hand held with a shutter speed of just 1/15th of a second, the only illumination is from the kitchen light. These creature are beautiful things to look at but by crikey they can be vicious and I was laid on the floor with nothing between us other than my camera :)

Badgerlt_JGS2162.jpg

Gorgeous bird. What is it? I'm assuming some type of falcon.

Hi Sparky,

Good question and here in the UK we call it a Red tailed Buzzard. I think Americans call them a red tailed hawk.

I enjoy capturing detail but because of my medical condition, my subjects have to come to me. This is another shot taken through my pesky double glazing. Such a delicate bird...

Wheatear_JGS4408_zps1c4af7c3.jpg

Freezing the wing of a free flying bee was a challenge and a half as I am just a happy snapper that lacks expertise and know how, but I guess if we snap enough images, we will eventually get something acceptable:

Beec_JGS4745.jpg

Hi Sparky,

Good question and here in the UK we call it a Red tailed Buzzard. I think Americans call them a red tailed hawk.

I enjoy capturing detail but because of my medical condition, my subjects have to come to me. This is another shot taken through my pesky double glazing. Such a delicate bird...

Freezing the wing of a free flying bee was a challenge and a half as I am just a happy snapper that lacks expertise and know how, but I guess if we snap enough images, we will eventually get something acceptable:

Beec_JGS4745.jpg

Great pictures!!

Hi Sparky,

Beec_JGS4745.jpg

We have red tails here - one of the more common hawks in Texas. My problem is that they're usually circling overhead rather than coming for a landing and posing for pics. I can see I'm going to have to get a Great Britain bird book before we come over your way next year so I can identify the birds we see.

Great shot of the bee. :)

We have red tails here - one of the more common hawks in Texas. My problem is that they're usually circling overhead rather than coming for a landing and posing for pics. I can see I'm going to have to get a Great Britain bird book before we come over your way next year so I can identify the birds we see.

Great shot of the bee. :)

I am no bird spotter and I find most of our birds to be very timid but my cousin who has lived in Florida for over forty years misses the variety of small birds that we have. That red tailed buzzard is not a UK resident bird, but we are fortunate in having the World's fastest bird residing over here. More to the point, I am lucky enough to have a pair that annually nests on a nearby cliff.

Eyesleftc_JGS5088_zpsbda0fbdf.jpg

Again, another shot taken in my back garden and this is our jet propelled 'eye in the sky'

Note that nostril.. It has a membrane that when this bird is in a high speed dive.. it closes over and cuts off air flow. The reason being this creature can easily exceed 200mph and whilst that type of air flow might clear your sinuses... I am guessing it might also blast out more than the odd cobweb.