I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

One of our local TV stations showed a snippet of the balloons this morning.

Quite a sight.

Yesterday was just a warm up on a somewhat windy day for a spectacular Sunday morning. Here is what we saw on Saturday

Howdy, folks. After a long summer of not having much time to shoot, I finally got a chance to get out and click when it wasn't boiling hot. The subject is my new partner at work. The gear was a 5D Mark III + EF 28mm f2.8 IS USM. RAW processing with DxO Optics Pro 8.3. Edited in CS5 with Nik Viveza 2 and DxO ViewPoint (to correct keystoning).

10158777095_480178d7b9_b.jpg

DEX1wm by AV8PIX Hickory Shampoo, on Flickr

A new addition to the birdlife in our area - quite large and they can be VERY loud - even call in the middle of the night. Apparently they are the largest parasitic cuckoos in the world.

For more details see http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Scythrops-novaehollandiae

This was taken from our balcony. Click on the picture for the video

DSC04101.JPG

Lovely

Our Monarchs left PA at the beginning of September.

Thanks. They must just be getting to the tip of the Eastern Shore because one of the park rangers commented that these were the first that he had seen. I only saw two on Thursday. I'd love to be there when the masses of them come through.

Went out to a little car show yesterday at a local airport near the foothills and enjoyed the 85° weather with amazingly clear skies. Mt. San Antonio (center) is about 12 miles away and 8,600 ft. higher, but you can almost see the individual rocks covering the peak!

p975535189-6.jpg

Dave

Nice shot. It looks like you walked up to that bird and took the picture from about a foot away from his face. I imagine that wasn't the case however.;)

:)Twas nearer to fourteen inches ;)

Where would we be without our telephoto lens?

The picture was taken with my trusty 500mm lens and I was indeed a respectable distance away.