I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

We had those flowers in Florida when I was a girl. We called them bottle brush. Can you guess why? :rolleyes:

In California as well! Bee magnets!

I need to head out to the back yard and shoot some more photos of ours...this is the only one I could find!

p938487261-5.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces

We had those flowers in Florida when I was a girl. We called them bottle brush. Can you guess why? :rolleyes:

Plenty in San Diego too! Almost bought some last weekend for a hedge but decided that they were too common!

Edited by dileep

Beautiful birds -- what kind are they?

What are the red flowers in pictures 1 and 2?

sparky-elpaso is right - they are Noisy Miners. These were juveniles and definitely lived up to the 'noisy' part of their name ...

The red flowers are called bottle brush here as well (official name Callistemon)

I'm not Boelki but I know what kind of bird. It's a Noisy Miner. We stopped for a snack at the zoo in Sydney and had one come down and take crumbs out of my hand. Not a bit afraid of me.

sparky-elpaso is right - they are Noisy Miners. These were juveniles and definitely lived up to the 'noisy' part of their name ...

The red flowers are called bottle brush here as well (official name Callistemon)

Thank you both for giving me the name of the birds and the flowers.

We have some noisy birds as well -- Blue Jays.

Some Fall colors taken yesterday in South Eastern Ontario.

If you live where the colours ( or Colors ) are putting on a great display. Please post them. It is a special time of year !!

IMG_2624_zps6e6c26f5.jpg

IMG_2590_zps4231affc.jpg

IMG_2582_zps8fb7a4e9.jpg

IMG_2571_zps0d3e0991.jpg

Beautiful pictures.

We have a mixed bag here in western PA. We haven't had a decent rain in 3 weeks. So some trees have already dropped their leaves. Some are just starting to turn. A few have gone to brown. In our yard, ours are still green.

Love the trees. I grew up in Michigan and while I don't miss the snow, etc. (here in El Paso) I do miss the trees changing color. Leaves here mostly just turn brown and fall off. :rolleyes: If the trees here do change it's usually just shades of yellow - no hardwoods like maples or oaks for oranges or reds.

Our trees turn from vivid green in the summer, to...ah, vivid green in the fall...and just slightly less vivid green in the winter, but back to vivid green by Spring. Anyone want to see my fall color photos from down here? ;)

Maybe some of the folks in the north could send you some pretty orange and red leaves and you could staple them to your green trees.

Our trees turn from vivid green in the summer, to...ah, vivid green in the fall...and just slightly less vivid green in the winter, but back to vivid green by Spring. Anyone want to see my fall color photos from down here? ;)

We have been quite a few times in Florida over the years -- have seen your trees and palm trees. Some leaves turn brown and drop off the trees.

Sounds like a great reason to come to Canada / New England for a vacation. on Land or on a cruise ship at the end of Sept. Then you can have lots of fun photographing the color / colour !!

Exactly right! I did that a few years ago...first fall colors I'd seen in 20 years:

original.jpg

Of course my luck...warmest and latest winter in years - Quebec City was 60 degrees and sunny! ;)

Dave...I've found Nik Color Effects' Indian Summer effect does nicely in this regard, converting Florida's green to reds and oranges:

B48370FAFB4A476A87FA108517F4034C.jpg

Dave...I've found Nik Color Effects' Indian Summer effect does nicely in this regard, converting Florida's green to reds and oranges:

Excellent...a few bucks for a piece of software beats going all the way north for a few leaves! I may never have to leave the warm darkness surrounding my desk ever again!

:D

Dave

Edited by pierces

Indeed, Dave! BTW for comparison sake, here's the original 'green' version:

original.jpg

Same effect could be done messing with color sliders, but this is a one-click conversion.

Same effect could be done messing with color sliders, but this is a one-click conversion.

That's why I bought the Topaz Adjust when it was on sale. I can do any of the hundred or so 1-click settings using the tools in PS or Lightroom and save them as custom presets but it would take me a lot more than $25 of my time!

I have never had a problem with paying for software the works and makes my life easier.

Dave

I dusted off an old friend of a lens last night and did a little walk about today. They just don't make lenses like they used to!!

These are from a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 (circa 1974) mounted on my K7.

Statue in the "Ghost" series in my hometown featuring many "game-changing" people.

10094434166_00e0602895_c.jpg

Smoke n Mirrors - Fall is in the air in Alberta, Canada

10094434736_c353bd87a1_c.jpg

That's why I bought the Topaz Adjust when it was on sale. I can do any of the hundred or so 1-click settings using the tools in PS or Lightroom and save them as custom presets but it would take me a lot more than $25 of my time!

I have never had a problem with paying for software the works and makes my life easier.

Dave

Great advice Dave. I will have to consider this for Lightroom!