Digital Readers

cindep

I absolutely LOVE my Sony touch reader. As it does NOT have wireless or 3G, does anyone know how the airlines are handling them? Will I have to put it up until after it is safe to use "approved" electronic devices? Can I hold it during take-off/landing, or will it have to be stowed in my carry-on?

I've only had it a couple of months and this is the first experience I'll have travelling by plane with it.

Yes it is! I just didn't want to have it out reading away and have the flight attendant come by and tell me to put it up. I do still know how to read "the old fashioned way", but it isn't nearly as much fun!

You will be asked to turn it off for a brief time on take off and landing because there are just too many types of e-readers for the flight attendants to keep up with which ones do what. I put mine in my purse just to avoid the risk of dropping it.

Don't loose it!

Yes it is! I just didn't want to have it out reading away and have the flight attendant come by and tell me to put it up. I do still know how to read "the old fashioned way", but it isn't nearly as much fun!

Darcy's experience is not the only correct answer.

You may get that 1 flight attendant who's had a bad day and INSIST that you stow it during take off and landing. You could argue your point with them, and then find yourself back at the gate in cuffs.

I'd recommend stowing it in the seat back in front of you just to alliviate any potential issue. The old saying of choose your battles wisely works in this case.

I absolutely LOVE my Sony touch reader. As it does NOT have wireless or 3G, does anyone know how the airlines are handling them? Will I have to put it up until after it is safe to use "approved" electronic devices? Can I hold it during take-off/landing, or will it have to be stowed in my carry-on?

I've only had it a couple of months and this is the first experience I'll have travelling by plane with it.

Yes, all electronics should be put away during takeoff and landing.

As it does not transmit a signal, no problem during take off or landing.
It's electronic. It is not hard to understand why it falls within the "no electronics during take off and landing", which applies equally to iPods, CD players, etc even though they are not intended for the transmission of radio frequency signals either. The problem is that all electronic devices do - so they have to be off.

20 or so years ago, cassette tape Walkman devices were the biggest cause of interference w/ naviation instruments. As Globalizer stated, all electronic devices are "unintentional radiatiors" (emit radio waves even though they aren't meant to). The best announcement I've heard- "Anything with an On/Off switch, must be turned OFF now. We will announce when you can turn them back ON"

OK, so I'm good with the Reader off during takeoff/landing. Can I have it on my lap, or do I need to put it inside my carryon? I've been reading a lot lately about putting ANYTHING in the seatback pocket is a big no no.

OK, so I'm good with the Reader off during takeoff/landing. Can I have it on my lap, or do I need to put it inside my carryon? I've been reading a lot lately about putting ANYTHING in the seatback pocket is a big no no.

One of the previous posts was the best. "Turn it off" You may now hold it just like a paperback book. All that is required is "off". No need to stow.

Have a wonderful trip.:)

For SAFETY'S sake, get all the crap out of your hands, off your heads and stowed PROPERLY on take offs and landings.

Since this is the most prevalent time when an emergency evac may be needed, I don't want to have to be crawling over people's crap, getting caught in headphone wires or any of the other assorted problems when people have just too much JUNK out during takeoffs and landings.

PUT IT AWAY-all of it. You will thank me if you ever have to evac a plane. May even save your life.

Talked with the flight attendant on Saturday about this. She said that until the FAA rules on e-readers, they are definitely treated like other electronic devices. I did put it in my carry-on and only took it out when approved electronic devices could be used. In a way, that kind of stinks as you have at least 30 minutes of a flight where you can't read where you could with a normal book or magazine. Not a deal breaker, just an observation.

In a way, that kind of stinks as you have at least 30 minutes of a flight where you can't read where you could with a normal book or magazine. Not a deal breaker, just an observation.

It's a SAFETY issue. You REALLY aren't supposed to even have your books/magazines out during take off/landing.

Think about the logic of it-you have to evac the plane. Everyone has crap around their seats, in their laps, etc., etc.

HOW are you going to get out of your seat in a very rapid manner? You can't if you are fighting with books, ereaders, purses, various things hooked into power ports, Bose headphones, etc. etc.

There TRULY is a reason why you should just sit there with your hands free and you mind on the job at hand.

Greatam, sure wish you had been around when we were trying to convince passengers just to listen to the safety briefing! It was so frustrating to stand up there and give the briefing and all you could see was newspapers, magazines and sleeping passengers. We used to try to invent ways to get attention so people would listen. I had two emergency situations in my career and both of them we,luckily, had time to prepare. Passengers sure paid attention then!

Greatam, sure wish you had been around when we were trying to convince passengers just to listen to the safety briefing! It was so frustrating to stand up there and give the briefing and all you could see was newspapers, magazines and sleeping passengers. We used to try to invent ways to get attention so people would listen. I had two emergency situations in my career and both of them we,luckily, had time to prepare. Passengers sure paid attention then!

It REALLY irritates me when those around me are BS'ing, got their hands full, plugging in all their "stuff" and just generally NOT paying attention. I fly a lot and I ALWAYS listen, look to make sure there is a life jacket (international flight over water), COUNT the seat rows, pay attention to where the exits are. Call me anal but I had to get out of a plane once. The screaming women (I am female) looking for their d*** purses just about had me push a couple out of the plane bodily. I have NO patience for stupidity and I really love my life. I am NOT going to die in an airplane when there is time to get out just because someone has their hands full. I am going over the top of them and they can keep looking for their purse/unhooking their "stuff"/trying to get out of their seat while the plane catches fire.

It is truly amazing that foreign airlines generally DO NOT have the same non attention that US airlines do. My recent (June 13) Etihad flight had everyone I could see (I was in business class) paying attention. One guy was missing his lifejacket which was very quickly remedied (he actually got two). Guess it is just Americans who think they know it all.

FWIW...over at FT, there will be a second annual Delta-Do in Atlanta in October. As part of it, they are offering Delta's "Road Warrior Training", which includes DL safety training. Part of that will involve emergency evacuation, training on opening exit doors and windows, slide evacuation, and what I'm really looking forward to - water evacuation. It should be an exciting day and I'll report back on the safety aspects.

For the OP.....if it has an on-off switch, it is to be turned off. If approved, it can be used above 10,000 feet. Readers and laptops are NOT to be stored in the seatback pocket at any time, as they are not certified for that kind of stowage. And if you want something to do in those 30 minutes....think about where your nearest exit is and what to do to get there.

We used to try to invent ways to get attention so people would listen.
The rule that I would have if I were running an airline: Not paying attention to the safety briefing = automatic offload.

If that rule is good enough for the crew, who fly more often than virtually all of the passengers, it's good enough for the passengers.

AMEN!! My DH used to be one of those who hid behind a newspaper during the safety briefing, he sure learned quick that when he was with me he paid attention and knew how to get out of that aircraft if he needed to. I would be one that would be walking (or running) over people too, I have no use for those who insist on not following the rules. Happy and safe flying!

FWIW...over at FT, there will be a second annual Delta-Do in Atlanta in October. As part of it, they are offering Delta's "Road Warrior Training", which includes DL safety training. Part of that will involve emergency evacuation, training on opening exit doors and windows, slide evacuation, and what I'm really looking forward to - water evacuation. It should be an exciting day and I'll report back on the safety aspects.

For the OP.....if it has an on-off switch, it is to be turned off. If approved, it can be used above 10,000 feet. Readers and laptops are NOT to be stored in the seatback pocket at any time, as they are not certified for that kind of stowage. And if you want something to do in those 30 minutes....think about where your nearest exit is and what to do to get there.

You will enjoy that training. I did it up in Tulsa many years ago complete with fake smoke.

That is when I learned that I am not able to open the emergency doors due to my age and small size.

Readers and laptops are NOT to be stored in the seatback pocket at any time, as they are not certified for that kind of stowage.

LOL.... the first time I ever saw the sign "not for stowage" on an airplane I wondered if Elmer Fudd wrote the sign. This was followed by an argument between my father and me about the difference between "stowage" and "storage". To this day I sill believe there is none and that the word "stowage" looks silly, but I smile when I see the sign remembering my Dad. :)

The rule that I would have if I were running an airline: Not paying attention to the safety briefing = automatic offload.

Can you imagine.... "I got thrown off the plane for daydreaming" ;)

The only problem I see with this is that those who fly every week, or those who are on their second or third take-off of the day, might find it excessive.

Archived