Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

Cats - we said that when we handed over our credit card but still got the form (to be signed by both of us) a few nights into the cruise. So we signed that. It wasn't collected by the cabin staff (although it said is should be and we had left it on the bed) so we ended up taking that down to reception.

No charge. But I wondered, if I had not bothered with the form, would my account have been charged?

If you see this, I'd like to hear if you handed in the form as well, or if simply talking to reception when they take your credit card is sufficient.

Same for us. A simple request, at reception took care of it. Sometime these things are over-thought --- tell your TA, write to Sivlersea, write to the President! Just handle it quietly, politely, and it goes away. Or make a big fuss and . . . . what? More drama?

I hardly think that Big Brother was watching and was organized enough to create more drama for us because we asked prior to departure and again at reception and again at reception. And for the record...we were always polite about it.

Cats - we said that when we handed over our credit card but still got the form (to be signed by both of us) a few nights into the cruise. So we signed that. It wasn't collected by the cabin staff (although it said is should be and we had left it on the bed) so we ended up taking that down to reception.

No charge. But I wondered, if I had not bothered with the form, would my account have been charged?

If you see this, I'd like to hear if you handed in the form as well, or if simply talking to reception when they take your credit card is sufficient.

Canadian Kate: We too got the contribution opt-out form/information packet/bracelets halfway through our cruise. I debated taking it down to reception to double check that we wouldn't be charged, but decided instead to just pitch it and worry about things later when we got our final statement. There was no charity charge on our final statement, so for at least us Reception was as good as their word.

Canadian Kate: We too got the contribution opt-out form/information packet/bracelets halfway through our cruise. I debated taking it down to reception to double check that we wouldn't be charged, but decided instead to just pitch it and worry about things later when we got our final statement. There was no charity charge on our final statement, so for at least us Reception was as good as their word.

Thanks CatServants, Rally. Good to know that Reception is still doing as requested, most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

We currently are on the Shadow. Immediately upon boarding last Sunday, we went to the Reception Desk and asked that the automatic charity charge be removed. They said no problem. A few days ago we returned to our room in the evening and the two silver bracelets and a brochure on the charity were on the bed. An opt-out form was also there. We took the bracelets and form down to the desk. We said we had already opted out. They asked us to fill in the form again, which we did. Today, Saturday, we received a preliminary copy of our bill. The automatic charity charge was still on our bill. We took the bill down again and asked that the charge be removed. So, that is three times. This is more than we think we should have to do on our time. This is not great customer PR. We will certainly keep following up.

I feel your pain, Harbormaster...same thing happened to us a few weeks ago on the Spirit.

Absolutely rediculous. Is your cruise done? I actually left without ever confirming that the charge was actually removed or not. So, if you're still on the ship, do watch out for that final bill under your door.

The experience of different passengers seems to indicate that whether or not the charge is removed when asked depends entirely on the competence of the person you ask to do it. Apparently management doesn't think it is important enough to make a priority. Once again, small thing that is very annoying.

The experience of different passengers seems to indicate that whether or not the charge is removed when asked depends entirely on the competence of the person you ask to do it. Apparently management doesn't think it is important enough to make a priority. Once again, small thing that is very annoying.

I agree wholeheartedly - that is what happened to us on the PA II in August. The receptionist was very cold to me asking for the charge to be removed. She would not let me remove the charge for both my husband and myself .... my husband had to come down and do his own sign up ! The only dissappointment in an otherwise great cruise/

We currently are on the Shadow. Immediately upon boarding last Sunday, we went to the Reception Desk and asked that the automatic charity charge be removed. They said no problem. A few days ago we returned to our room in the evening and the two silver bracelets and a brochure on the charity were on the bed. An opt-out form was also there. We took the bracelets and form down to the desk. We said we had already opted out. They asked us to fill in the form again, which we did. Today, Saturday, we received a preliminary copy of our bill. The automatic charity charge was still on our bill. We took the bill down again and asked that the charge be removed. So, that is three times. This is more than we think we should have to do on our time. This is not great customer PR. We will certainly keep following up.

Similar situation on the Wind two weeks ago. Immediately upon boarding I asked at Reception that the charity charge not be included. Mid-way found the form and the bracelet on my bed. I took it back to Reception and asked the second time. It did not appear on my final bill.

Too much effort required to avoid an improper charge.

Two to one there are orders from up high (CEO's wife?) to have reception make it as hard as possible to remove the charge. "Be nice, smile and say yes, the leave it on."

Wripro:

You may be right about that, considering that some people are now finding that it takes some effort to get the charge removed. – several requests to Reception, having to fill out forms, and for each cabin occupant, and for each leg of a B2B journey. Hmm?? …has Reception become less efficient, or is there a directive from above to make it harder to get the charge off. If so, this will surely breed ill-will, and backfire for SS. But, maybe at the moment they’re getting away with it. I suspect that some people are too "ashamed" to have to make more than one attempt. They should, of course, make that effort --because what’s happening is just not right.

I have not read all of the posts but was protesting the charge with your credit card company discussed? The bookwork and time to settle the dispute should discourage SS from imposing the charge.

Hank

I have not read all of the posts but was protesting the charge with your credit card company discussed? The bookwork and time to settle the dispute should discourage SS from imposing the charge.

Hank

I think that SS always removes the charge if asked - eventually. The problem is that the charge should never have been made in the first place, and passengers shouldn’t have their time wasted and be put in the awkward position of having to go Reception to make the request, fill out forms, etc. I don’t know if there have been cases where the charge was still there on the final statement and SS refused to remove it when the passenger disputed it. In such a case, I wonder if your credit card company would be much help. After all, you did (as they request) register your credit card with Reception at the beginning of the cruise -- which allows them to make a charge to your credit card without you having to come to Reception and sign at the end. Having registered your card with them, you’re probably agreeing to be indebted for whatever they charge you. Usually, I like to settle my account in person at the end. Never had to dispute anything – but if I had to, it may be easier if I hadn’t already given them my credit card details.

I think this "automatic charge" is getting out of hand. To have to go to Reception several times during your cruise is ridiculous and for SS to not respect your wishes is very rude.

I put "no charity donation" on my guest information ... I don't want to have to go several times to reception during my B2B.

I guess it remains to be seen as to what happens.

Cheers

Jennifer

I think this "automatic charge" is getting out of hand. To have to go to Reception several times during your cruise is ridiculous and for SS to not respect your wishes is very rude.

I put "no charity donation" on my guest information ... I don't want to have to go several times to reception during my B2B.

I guess it remains to be seen as to what happens.

Cheers

Jennifer

Let us know how it goes. Best wishes for a great trip in all other respects.

For the amount of hassle that I went thru trying to get the charity charged removed, and not even knowing if it actually WAS removed in the end (do they send a hard copy of your bill to your home or what? Still havent rec'd anything)...

I hate to say this, but it's not worth the $14...you win SS...you wore me down...you made it hard...you win...

<insert gauntlet here>

NO! Northerncheapo, please,please don't give in. This is exactly what the people who dreamed up the Charity Charge are counting on..that's why I and others have called the scheme sneaky. Remember, your money is going to fund a private family foundation...a "charity" with it's financial disclosure info under construction after many years in existence. Some things really are worth outrage and a strenuous fight. Think of where our open hearted willing donations could go and all the verifiably reputable charities we could help. $14 doesn't sound like much but multiply it by all the passengers sailing on all the SS ships everyday. Suddenly the picture becomes very clear...this is no small issue.

Bonvivant,

Why should anyone be ashamed to go to Reception more than once? They are the ones who should be ashamed for perpetrating this forced donation on its unsuspecting clients. I would be happy to go as many times as necessary.

If I see an overcharge for a $10 item on my bill I try to remember to mention it the next time I pass the reception desk, but usually don't. I wouldn't bother to make a special trip for it, as when I am in my cabin it is worth $10 to me to be able to put my feet up and relax, not run back downstairs.

So having to go out of my way, more that once, to get rid of this charge would really get my hackles up. But in this case I would return as many times as it took. Not only do we have no idea what is being done with the money, as no watchdog agencies have ever heard of it, Mrs Silversea is enjoying being madam bountiful with OUR money. It seems she has plenty of her own- let her support her own charity as we do our chosen charities .

Cruisinpashmina, I know I know...I totally agree with everything you say but what a pain in the freakin' a** this is.

Ok...i put the gauntlet down after returning from my trip (a bit jet lagged) only to have to burry my brother in law...got my second wind now...I'll find out for sure if I was charged or not and fight the good fight!

Here I go..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The good news is, I'm half Sicilian so we're equally matched, LOL LOL!

Not only do we have no idea what is being done with the money, as no watchdog agencies have ever heard of it, Mrs Silversea is enjoying being madam bountiful with OUR money. It seems she has plenty of her own- let her support her own charity as we do our chosen charities .

Irelevant of your choice to support or not support the chairty, I think you should be more carefull with the words you are using, some might go as far to say they might be libelous and slanderous. On the chairty web site it claims to be partnered with the Italian Ministry of Health unless you have proof to the contary you could find yourself not only open to libel and slander from the chairty, but also the Italian goverment, also KPMG are mentioned for providing the certification of the budget of the charity, they are one of the largest tax audit companies in the world.

Do you really think that the Italian Goverment and the like of KPMG would put there name to something if it was not 100% above board.

Irelevant of your choice to support or not support the chairty, I think you should be more carefull with the words you are using, some might go as far to say they might be libelous and slanderous. On the chairty web site it claims to be partnered with the Italian Ministry of Health unless you have proof to the contary you could find yourself not only open to libel and slander from the chairty, but also the Italian goverment, also KPMG are mentioned for providing the certification of the budget of the charity, they are one of the largest tax audit companies in the world.

So was Arthur Andersen until the Enron accounting scandal became public.

Do you really think that the Italian Goverment and the like of KPMG would put there name to something if it was not 100% above board.
YES!

Archived