Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

[quote name='merryecho']If they remove it the first time I ask that is nice, but it has nothing to do with the fact that they have no right to take my money without asking in the first place.
Umtali- apparently this is the latest thing in charity circles. The safeway I shop at started asking if I would like to contribute 1$ to their charity of the week when I enter my club card number. I am usually in a hurry when I shop, and not expecting this question, I punched yes a couple of times before I figured out what was going on.
I am glad some of us are keeping this thread alive until SS responds.[/quote]

Merryecho, at least they had the decency to ask first.

Thanks Debbie for posting this information. I received word from SS that this is the way they heve decided to handle the auto charity charge. A guest no longer has to go to reception to ask for it to be removed. Simply opt out using the form (if you wish to do so), and leave it for your butler / suite attendant. The charge will be removed with no problem.

Host Dan

Sorry Dan, this is a sorry cop out. They are still counting on people to not notice the charge, or not take the time out of their vacation to (or remember to) bother with it. It is still an underhanded way to make money for their personal charity.
The proper way to do it is leave the form and the bracelets in the cabins, and ask people to check the box that puts the charge ON their account- not require people to ask to have it taken OFF.

I agree, SS is a wonderful cruise line- I should think the owners would be embarrassed to resort to this kind of shakedown- can anyone imagine doing this to a guest or a customer?

Here we are many posts after this subject was raised. I posted at the beginning "what's the big deal?" Any of us who cruise SS can afford the contribution. If you don't approve the cause it's easy to opt out. I agree that SS handled it badly; you don't need to say "a charge has been added to your bill"; what you can say is "every dollar spent on SS includes a fractional charge that will be donated to charity." If you knew it was part of your cruise fee would you cancel: I doubt it. The cause is a good one. DW and I leave on Voyage 4034 12/3 and we will increase our donation. We also believe the no tipping policy is a good one for those who are stretching, but if you can a contribution to the crew fund is appropriate.

[quote name='DebbieH103']We are on Spirit now and received two of those friendship type rubber bracelets, a charity pamphlet and an opt out form.[/quote]

We join Spirit 2 December and still feel somewhat equivocal about this issue ( although I can understand peoples polarised positions). Just for information , are many current passengers wearing the bracelets? With pride?

[quote name='newlondon']Here we are many posts after this subject was raised. I posted at the beginning "what's the big deal?" Any of us who cruise SS can afford the contribution. If you don't approve the cause it's easy to opt out. I agree that SS handled it badly; you don't need to say "a charge has been added to your bill"; what you can say is "every dollar spent on SS includes a fractional charge that will be donated to charity." If you knew it was part of your cruise fee would you cancel: I doubt it. The cause is a good one. DW and I leave on Voyage 4034 12/3 and we will increase our donation. We also believe the no tipping policy is a good one for those who are stretching, but if you can a contribution to the crew fund is appropriate.[/quote]

Sorry misread your departure date- so my original post ( now deleted)was not appropriate. Oops!

[quote name='Host Dan']Thanks Debbie for posting this information. I received word from SS that this is the way they heve decided to handle the auto charity charge. A guest no longer has to go to reception to ask for it to be removed. Simply opt out using the form (if you wish to do so), and leave it for your butler / suite attendant. The charge will be removed with no problem.

Host Dan[/quote]

We had the form delivered to our room on a recent Spirit voyage. It said to fill it out and leave it for the butler. 3 days later, with it having been prominent in the room but not being picked up, we dropped it off at reception.

[quote name='MARIANH']We join Spirit 2 December and still feel somewhat equivocal about this issue ( although I can understand peoples polarised positions). Just for information , are many current passengers wearing the bracelets? With pride?[/quote]

They are, after all, embossed rubber bands. If you choose not to donate, you won't feel conspicuous by not wearing the "bracelet."

[quote name='merryecho']Sorry Dan, this is a sorry cop out. They are still counting on people to not notice the charge, or not take the time out of their vacation to (or remember to) bother with it. It is still an underhanded way to make money for their personal charity.
The proper way to do it is leave the form and the bracelets in the cabins, and ask people to check the box that puts the charge ON their account- not require people to ask to have it taken OFF.

I agree, SS is a wonderful cruise line- I should think the owners would be embarrassed to resort to this kind of shakedown- can anyone imagine doing this to a guest or a customer?[/quote]

Merryecho: I agree 100%. It is a sneaky tactic. They are counting on those who won’t notice the forms among all the other paper that arrives in the cabin. And, it sounds like you can’t be confident that your butler will deliver the form – you still have to follow-up to make sure Reception gets it. You have to wonder why it’s so important to get this money from us, if these ‘donations’ aren’t in some way benefiting the company’s bottom line. Otherwise, why would they risk creating ill-will and bad PR.

It needs to be an opt-in, not an opt-out thing – just like any other reputable charity operates. It is a shame that a good product is being damaged by management’s decision to indulge in devious practices.

[quote name='Portolan']They are, after all, embossed rubber bands. If you choose not to donate, you won't feel conspicuous by not wearing the "bracelet."[/quote]

I didnt notice anybody wearing the bracelets on our cruise in August. So if the bracelets are meant to raise awareness it wasnt working either.

Newlondon- how do you know the money is going to "a good cause"? How much of it actually reaches those in need, and how much is spent on 'administration'? You won't find any info about that on the charity's website.

As I posted earlier, I recently read an article about 'personal charities' being the latest scam for children of the very rich. They don't really want a job, but want something to do, so they create a charity that they get Daddy's friends to fund. Then they can write off extravagant fund-raising parties, including first class travel and hotels. No one really cares how much goes to the charity recipients.

That is ONE reason I so strongly object to this practice- no transparency.

This type of forced "contribution" is illegal in some parts of the world. It amazes me that Silversea would open themselves up for a lawsuit. Many of us would be more than happy to contribute (more than what is being illegally taken from passengers). I plan on spending a maximum of 120 seconds on this issue while on board this coming week. If the charge is not removed by the time we arrive home, after I request to have it removed, they can deal with my attorney.

[quote name='Travelcat2']This type of forced "contribution" is illegal in some parts of the world. It amazes me that Silversea would open themselves up for a lawsuit. [B]Many of us would be more than happy to contribute (more than what is being illegally taken from passengers). [/B]I plan on spending a maximum of 120 seconds on this issue while on board this coming week. If the charge is not removed by the time we arrive home, after I request to have it removed, they can deal with my attorney.[/quote]

Take a look at the website of the Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation. The financial Information page is still a "Work in Progress", even though they say they’ve been operating for years. I don’t know why anyone would be happy to contribute anything, under any circumstances. There are many solid, well-established charities out there whose operations are more transparent than this one. They deserve your money more.

Thanks Debbie for posting this information. I received word from SS that this is the way they heve decided to handle the auto charity charge. A guest no longer has to go to reception to ask for it to be removed. Simply opt out using the form (if you wish to do so), and leave it for your butler / suite attendant. The charge will be removed with no problem.

Host Dan

Thanks for your effort on behalf of the vast majority of Silversea clients who continue to voice disapproval at this sharp practice by the owners.We are halfway there with the OPT OUT form. When we reach the moral and legal operation of an OPT IN form or better still no forms or options at all we can hopefully close this thread which has done Silversea more harm than good.Nothing against the charity but the choice to contribute should be ours and not the owners on our behalf.

We sailed on Silver Spirit from Lisbon to Barbados and were taken aback when we received the paperwork notifying us of the "automatic contributution" to this foundation. My immediate reaction was "what are they thinking?" We went to the reception desk, returned the little rubber bracelets, and said "no, thank you." There were no hassles, and the charge did not appear on our bill. But on returning home, I was surprised to find this forum and see how many other passengers felt the same way as we did. I totally agree that if Silversea wants to continue this practice it should be on an "opt in" basis rather than making it seem like extortion. And I also hope that Silversea management hears the level of emotion on this topic and decides to change its policy.

We sailed on Silver Spirit from Lisbon to Barbados and were taken aback when we received the paperwork notifying us of the "automatic contributution" to this foundation. My immediate reaction was "what are they thinking?" We went to the reception desk, returned the little rubber bracelets, and said "no, thank you." There were no hassles, and the charge did not appear on our bill. But on returning home, I was surprised to find this forum and see how many other passengers felt the same way as we did. I totally agree that if Silversea wants to continue this practice it should be on an "opt in" basis rather than making it seem like extortion. And I also hope that Silversea management hears the level of emotion on this topic and decides to change its policy.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet on the crossing. There were about 28 cruisecritic.com people on board which made for a lively cruise.

Wripro, You post so well I felt compelled to say your latest was below you. I still feel that the communication by SS was done badly, but the end result would have been the same if it was added to the fare as opposed to the obc. Mrs. SS is a very nice woman-we met her cruising the Norwegian fjords and Mr Lefebreve is a Teddy bear in appearance and a very sharp business man. I couldn't agree more that this whole 400+ thread with high emotions should have been avoided. Just goes to show how important appearance is.

I bet you didn't see too many people wearing rubber bracelets on that crossing. Of course, Mrs. Silversea CEO probably wears diamond bracelets to all her deductible fund raisers for this so called charity.

This sort of gratuitous comment is offensive or perhaps worse. In any event it is unacceptable IMHO. It seems outwith the ethos of CC. Can it be removed?

I bet you didn't see too many people wearing rubber bracelets on that crossing. Of course, Mrs. Silversea CEO probably wears diamond bracelets to all her deductible fund raisers for this so called charity.

This sort of gratuitous comment is offensive or perhaps worse. In any event it is unacceptable IMHO. It seems outwith the ethos of CC. Can it be removed?

What is offensive about it?

I bet you didn't see too many people wearing rubber bracelets on that crossing.
Nothing offensive about this?

Of course, Mrs. Silversea CEO probably wears diamond bracelets to all her deductible fund raisers ...
If she does wear diamond bracelets then this is a true statement. If she doesn't, the statement is still not offensive.

... for this so called charity.
This charity has been questioned by many on this thread. This charity, based on the current information available, would not qualify as a charity in the Untied States. Perhaps with more disclosure it might, but until then, people have a right to question it.

What is offensive about it?

Nothing offensive about this?

If she does wear diamond bracelets then this is a true statement. If she doesn't, the statement is still not offensive.

This charity has been questioned by many on this thread. This charity, based on the current information available, would not qualify as a charity in the Untied States. Perhaps with more disclosure it might, but until then, people have a right to question it.

Well, with the greatest respect your interpretation seems to me to be somewhat naive. Do you not think the words as constructed and the inherent implication regarding probity are inappropropriate? Disparaging, snide and unsubstantiated comments have no place on CC threads IMHO. They add nothing to our knowlege of the foundation. Clearly we could do with facts rather than speculation. But of course others may not agree and I may have misunderstood the CC ethos.

I could not agree with you more that transparency could help us all make informed decisions. Yes, we could do with more information about the foundation and from what I have read, Silversea do not not seem to be handling the automatic charge at all well.

I will be on Silver Spirit in December and perhaps will be better informed after that. Naturally, if any material facts emerge from this experience, I will share.

Well, with the greatest respect your interpretation seems to me to be somewhat naive. Do you not think the words as constructed and the inherent implication regarding probity are inappropropriate? Disparaging, snide and unsubstantiated comments have no place on CC threads IMHO. They add nothing to our knowlege of the foundation. Clearly we could do with facts rather than speculation. But of course others may not agree and I may have misunderstood the CC ethos.

I could not agree with you more that transparency could help us all make informed decisions. Yes, we could do with more information about the foundation and from what I have read, Silversea do not not seem to be handling the automatic charge at all well.

I will be on Silver Spirit in December and perhaps will be better informed after that. Naturally, if any material facts emerge from this experience, I will share.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion and reasonable people can disagree. That said, if you do find some information worth sharing, please do.

Archived