Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

Anyone who finds my post offensive would do well to worry about how offended SS passengers are by this automatic charge.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I may be in a good position to judge for myself after my December cruise on the Spirit. No doubt you would be interested in any feedback. Unless of course you have first hand knowlege from sailing Silversea and have experienced the automatic charge in action. Be that as it may, remember - two wrongs do not make a right ( IMHO of course).

I am not a fan of the automatic charity charge. On our recent TA on the Spirit, we opted out of it and will continue to do so on our upcoming cruises. I only saw one person wearing the rubber bracelet, but frankly, I didn't spend any time looking for them.

The information left in the cabin did state that the charity is a 501c-3, so if that statement is accurate, donations to the charity would be tax-deductible for US citizens.

Wripro, Imo you're digging yourself deeper. You are a well travelled individual who, as I said in my previous post, adds well thought out ideas and constructive info. Your comments on Mrs. SS were beneath you. Secondly, Why should anyone worry about those who don't like the charity charge; they can easily cancel it. If they are offended I'm not going to worry; as SS travellers worrying about this I would characterize them as having deep pockets and short arms.:eek:

wripro's joke about diamond bracelet was pointed but not offensive; in fact, it is rather tame compared to most of the jokes on American comedy shows. If you watch David Letterman, even Jay Leno, etc., they do materials that are far more questionable in terms of taste. I am surprised that this fairly mild joke would cause much indignation on here - after all, the second rate comedian on my last Seabourn cruise had materials that were truly offensive and off-color.

sfvoyage, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I did not take the comment as a joke, but rather a catty jab at a woman who I had met and found quite pleasant. Good taste is good taste and imo wripro has consistently been on the side of the good guys as opposed to others who are constant critics-they know who they are. This is the reason I took her to task.

I was simply being sarcastic, people. The lunacy of offering a stupid rubber bracelet in exchange for a forced donation prompted me to make the comparison to the perpetrator of this whole scam and the idea that she probably wears diamonds around her wrist and not rubber. If anyone considers this beneath me I can assure you it is not!

wripro's joke about diamond bracelet was pointed but not offensive; in fact, it is rather tame compared to most of the jokes on American comedy shows. If you watch David Letterman, even Jay Leno, etc., they do materials that are far more questionable in terms of taste. I am surprised that this fairly mild joke would cause much indignation on here - after all, the second rate comedian on my last Seabourn cruise had materials that were truly offensive and off-color.

wripro: I was simply being sarcastic' date=' people[/b']. The lunacy of offering a stupid rubber bracelet in exchange for a forced donation prompted me to make the comparison to the perpetrator of this whole scam and the idea that she probably wears diamonds around her wrist and not rubber. If anyone considers this beneath me I can assure you it is not!

Right on and WRITE ON to wripro!!! Sarcasm is a form of ridicule or mockery that can be used harshly or contemptuously, for purposes to make a point. It may be used in an indirect manner, or as a form of irony. Hostile, critical comments may be expressed in an ironic way, such as saying "don't work too hard" to a lazy worker.

Sarcasim can be acerbic, acidic, barbed, biting, caustic, corrosive, cutting, pungent, sardonic, satiric (or satirical), scalding, scathing, sharp, smart-aleck, smart-alecky, smart-mouthed, snarky, tart, etc. You've got to admire the "art form" by wripro. This is a serious policy failure by an otherwise generally very good Silversea management. The practice needs to be fixed. Ignoring it won't make it OK or acceptable. Keep up the good work!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 24,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Aboard the Cloudm we had a ship organized Cruise Critic cocktail party today. We were asked what is the major complaint on Cruise Critic. We answered the automatic charity charge. The Officers said they do not like it and wish it would go away. They would like to do a walk or something and have people donate that way.

I was simply being sarcastic, people. The lunacy of offering a stupid rubber bracelet in exchange for a forced donation prompted me to make the comparison to the perpetrator of this whole scam and the idea that she probably wears diamonds around her wrist and not rubber. If anyone considers this beneath me I can assure you it is not!

I'm sure many readers didn't find your comment offensive. Incisive, sarcastic maybe -- but it made a necessary point. Mrs. SS may be a pleasant, affable person (most business people are in social situations) -- but, that doesn't excuse her from criticism (and deserved mockery) for her charity fiasco. I thought your comment was justified -- and it's not beneath me either to say so.

Aboard the Cloudm we had a ship organized Cruise Critic cocktail party today. We were asked what is the major complaint on Cruise Critic. We answered the automatic charity charge. The Officers said they do not like it and wish it would go away. They would like to do a walk or something and have people donate that way.

Our experience on a recent Cloud cruise was the poor girls on Reception hated it,the remainder of staff asked about it felt the same and now the officers have indicated their disapproval there are only the owners who like it wonder why?

The form just worked so easily and so well that I would not worry. Everyone has a charity these days. American interrupted our movie on the way home to solicit for Unicef. They collected $138, so they were happy with themselves.

One of the luxury Leading Hotel of the World hotels that I do a lot of business with trolls the beach on Thursdays, and the staff will say to me, "Debbie, I have to beg today", and they get so down on those days. These things are tough calls.

I think the form should change to an opt-in vs. an opt-out, but they will collect less, and they know it.

I would say that the new policy of "opt-out" form w/o having to go to reception is here to stay. That said, I think this thread has served its purpose, and will need to close.

Thank you-

Host Dan

Archived