Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

Portolan- perhaps the poster meant that you aren't charged up front, as you are for the cruise, port charges, taxes, etc., where you are likely to see it and ask what it is. Instead, it is added toward the end of the cruise, where, according to several posters, many people don't notice it.

[quote name='merryecho']Portolan- perhaps the poster meant that you aren't charged up front, as you are for the cruise, port charges, taxes, etc., where you are likely to see it and ask what it is. Instead, it is added toward the end of the cruise, where, according to several posters, many people don't notice it.[/quote]

but what I meant was that there was never a point, as far as I'm aware or have read about here, when the charge was shown at embarkation. So the fact that it still isn't shown now isn't a change. Unless, of course, you go back to the time before they started this whole charity thing.

[quote name='Portolan']but what I meant was that there was never a point, as far as I'm aware or have read about here, when the charge was shown at embarkation. So the fact that it still isn't shown now isn't a change. Unless, of course, you go back to the time before they started this whole charity thing.[/quote]

For some reason I thought that generally the charge was put on the cabin account right at the beginning of the cruise. So if on Day 2, for example, you were to access your account on your cabin TV to see what's on it, you would see the item listed there. But, maybe I'm wrong about that. For Scandun, it sounded that the charge wasn't shown on his account statement throughout the whole cruise (even though he didn't inform them till the end that he didn't want it ). That's why I thought they were doing something different -- but maybe not. In my case, it never appeared on the statement when I checked from my cabin because I informed reception right after boarding that I didn't want it (not everyone's experience).
Anyway, the automatic charity charge still exists!

BTW- don't count on deducting this charitable contribution. "The Code does not allow U.S. persons any income tax deduction for direct contributions to foreign charities. Section 170(c) of the Code provides that an income tax deduction is permitted only if the donee organization was created or organized in the United States or any possession thereof."

[quote name='merryecho']BTW- don't count on deducting this charitable contribution. "The Code does not allow U.S. persons any income tax deduction for direct contributions to foreign charities. Section 170(c) of the Code provides that an income tax deduction is permitted only if the donee organization was created or organized in the United States or any possession thereof."[/quote]

Well, you may not be able to deduct the contribution from your taxes, but you do get to deduct it from your wallet.

Ok, update on my charge...

Readers Digest version of what has happened up to now:
[LIST]
[*] I emailed SS prior to departure to remove charge
[*]TA asked SS to remove charge prior to departure
[*]sent a written request to remove charge prior to dep.
[*]verbal request upon boarding ship
[*]declined literature upon ship
[*]half way thru cruise charge was there, asked for removal
[*]upon disembarking charge was on invoice
[*]we had to leave before getting final invoice so I didn't know if I was infact charged or not
[/LIST]Received an email from my TA who rallied to SS for a copy of last invoice and the charity charge was in fact removed. I think it was easier to buy my first house than it was to remove this charge.

A

Northerncheapo- maybe you should mention to your credit card company that Silver Sea is charging all of their passengers without permission. Probably not enough of us to make a difference, but who knows? American Express once signed me up (and charged me) for a magazine I didn't want, and when I complained they said they "thought it was something I would like." I asked my postmaster about it, who had them stop the practice company wide or be charged with mail fraud. I don't usually carry things to this extreme, but some things just get to me.

Merryecho, oh I know what you mean...I have a rant a few pages into this thread that expresses my sentaments over this practice.

UPDATE>>>>>

Rec'd an email copy of my invoice and the charity charge WAS removed on the invoice! yahoo

And it wasn't really that hard....

Baaaahhh haaaa haaa haaaaaaaaaa!

[quote name='Northerncheapo']Merryecho, oh I know what you mean...I have a rant a few pages into this thread that expresses my sentaments over this practice.

UPDATE>>>>>

Rec'd an email copy of my invoice and the charity charge WAS removed on the invoice! yahoo

[B]And it wasn't really that hard....[/B]

Baaaahhh haaaa haaa haaaaaaaaaa![/quote]

Not too hard ....but almost as hard a buying a house...with all the communication, paper work, and follow-up.

FYI -

Asking for no charity charge on our account pre boarding by an indication on our guest information form (along with beverage choice in suite, etc) did NOT work.

Stopping by the front desk after noticing it on our interim bill ($20) DID work. We never got any information in our cabin with bracelets, etc, like others have reported although our friends - two cabins away - did get the propaganda.

[quote name='chicagogal']FYI -

Asking for no charity charge on our account pre boarding by an indication on our guest information form (along with beverage choice in suite, etc) did NOT work.

Stopping by the front desk after noticing it on our interim bill ($20) DID work. We never got any information in our cabin with bracelets, etc, like others have reported although our friends - two cabins away - did get the propaganda.[/quote]
This unfortunate saga continues to annoy many Silversea regulars. Is it possible for host Dan to make the owners aware of the thousands of viewings this post is attracting and the negative publicity resulting from the unauthorised charges being made by the owners to their clients credit cards. IF Dan is unable to intervene our next port of call is national press and travel agents to make the potential cruising population aware of this dishonest and immoral practise.

I've contacted Silversea to see if they possibly could offer the optional contribution to the charity to passengers, but in a very different way... Hopefully I will get a response.

Host Dan

[quote name='Host Dan']I've contacted Silversea to see if they possibly could offer the optional contribution to the charity to passengers, but in a very different way... Hopefully I will get a response.

Host Dan[/quote]
Thanks Dan. Lets hope for a sensible compromise for voluntary donations only to the owners charity.

Well done Dan, they are welcome to ask, plead, even beg for my dollars- just stop grabbing them out of my pocket. I imagine this policy brings in quite a lot for the charity- I wonder if they have considered how much ill will they have bought with the money.

What is being done by Silversea is illegal, immoral and highly improper. Imagine, if you will, when you next go shopping at your local supermarket, bottle store, market place..whatever, the proprieter decides to take some of your hard earned, without your permission, adds it to your bill there and then to contribute to whatever charity they have in mind for that day!!!

That is exactly what Silversea is doing.

Just returned from a trip on the Cloud with 2 other couples. About 3 days into the cruise, we received in our room a pamphlet describing the charity and the charge along with a card to remove the charge to be left for the butler or brought to reception. One couple filled out the card and left it for the butler, one filled it out and brought it to reception. The last just asked reception to remove the charge the night before debarkation when they settled their account. When we received our mid-cruise statements the next day, the charges had not been removed yet for the first two couples, but neither said anything to anyone figuring that it would be taken care of in time. By the evening before debarkation, the charge had been removed from all accounts (for the last couple, it was removed immediately upon asking). No problems or fuss (also no bracelets were handed out). Should it have been necessary to ask to have this charge removed-- no. Was it a big deal or an effort for anyone -- no.

If they remove it the first time I ask that is nice, but it has nothing to do with the fact that they have no right to take my money without asking in the first place.
Umtali- apparently this is the latest thing in charity circles. The safeway I shop at started asking if I would like to contribute 1$ to their charity of the week when I enter my club card number. I am usually in a hurry when I shop, and not expecting this question, I punched yes a couple of times before I figured out what was going on.
I am glad some of us are keeping this thread alive until SS responds.

For the many SS loyalists who are concerned about the removal of the "voluntary" Charity Charge, I suggest that you read Rojaan19's brilliant thread, titled a belated report on their PAII August trip. It is such an interesting, detailed description of what sounds like a fascinating adventure. Everything sounds terrific except the hassle they had having the charity charge removed.

For those who are exploring sailing on SS but are put off by this situation, I think it is very important to point out that this is just plain weird, an aberration, and has zip to do with what is, otherwise a wonderful product. We have sailed on all the luxury lines, and SS is, for us, the very best. Thanks again Rojaan 19 for your beautiful post .

Archived