Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

NEW SILVERSEA POLICY:

Effective immediately once final payment has been made on your cruise we will charge $1000 to your credit card for any potential damage to your suite while you are on board one of our vessels. If you cause no damage just go to reception toward the end of your cruise and have them eliminate the charge.

1. Go aboard with cruise already spoiled by damage charge.

2. While at reception checking your final bill simply have charge removed.

3. Hope you felt free to enjoy your cruise.

Now wasn't that simple?

Apart from the tactics used to get donations, I’m also put off by the lack of information about what this "charity" is and what it does. If you read what’s on the SS website, it sounds like they’re interested in palliative care for people with incurable illnesses, but what exactly they do toward that goal is not stated. The Foundation website isn’t much help. And googling "Fondazione Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio" didn’t provide answers either. The SS website describes it as an "independent, family–run charity". Thus, it doesn’t seem to be a public charity, which would carry out some type of direct, charitable activity. It sounds like what the IRS would deem a "private (charitable) foundation". They give grants to public charities and individuals and generally don’t provide direct services themselves. Whereas public charities get their funding from the public (which can be an individual, a corporation, a foundation), private foundations are funded (and controlled) by an individual (a person, a family, a company). Private foundations shouldn’t be soliciting from the general public. The address of the Fondazione Maruzza is in Rome -- perhaps the rules are somewhat different in Italy, but I’m sure they’re not that different.

Personally, I’d rather contribute directly to a public charity of my choosing, rather than give my money to a foundation that will make grants to whom they choose, and in their name of course. And, I’m sure there must be some financial or PR benefits to the family/company if they can give bigger grants to the charities they want to fund. And, how nice to be able to do this with someone else’s money.

Never have so many complained so much about so little. Not to belittle the fact that this charge might be annoying, but if we're on this board, then we'll likely drop $9000-12000 on a 10 day cruise for two. Are any of us really THAT concerned over an additional $20 charity contribution that we'll (1) not enjoy the cruise, or (2) think about finding another cruise line? If the price of the cruise was $9,020 (or $12,020), would you have gotten annoyed or looked at a different line? Silversea would not lose a single customer if they raised their prices $10 a person and donated the extra themselves. At least their way you have the option of removing it. 11 pages of posts (and counting)! Let's get some perspective!

Never have so many complained so much about so little. Not to belittle the fact that this charge might be annoying, but if we're on this board, then we'll likely drop $9000-12000 on a 10 day cruise for two. Are any of us really THAT concerned over an additional $20 charity contribution that we'll (1) not enjoy the cruise, or (2) think about finding another cruise line? If the price of the cruise was $9,020 (or $12,020), would you have gotten annoyed or looked at a different line? Silversea would not lose a single customer if they raised their prices $10 a person and donated the extra themselves. At least their way you have the option of removing it. 11 pages of posts (and counting)! Let's get some perspective!

You are missing the point. It is not the amount, it is the method. And to answer your questions - yes. As long as this charge continues in the manner that it is, I will not book Silversea. There are other cruise lines (Seabourn, Crystal and Regent to name a few).

jgrahamiii ....woooow, woooow, woooow!

I am going to rant, so if not interested, please move on...

I am so sick and tired of people making judgements or having expectations of how I SHOULD spend my money just because I HAVE it. Jgrahamii, yes, I spent just over 12 grand on my upcoming cruise, and yes, I can afford the charity charge BUT I WILL not be bullied into being told how to spend one single cent of my money...not 20 cents, not 20 dollars, not a dime! You know why I have money? Because I manage it properly and spend it where I want, as I see fit.

I get your attitude ALL the time. Going to lunch with me, well OF COURSE i'll pick up the tab, I live in a big fancy house. Have to carpool with me? Well of course I'll drive because I have a Benz. Going on a fancy cruise, well of course she can afford a charity donation. I am SICK SICK SICK of people making assumptions that just because I have the resources that I will spend it on THEM.

Ok...feel better now...lovely day here in Toronto, have a good day all :).

Bon Vivant- you raise a good point. A non profit soliciting funds (or demanding them) in the USA has to file lots of paperwork with the IRS. I wonder if the portion of this income collected from US passengers is being reported to the IRS, or somehow just being slid into the Monaco books- and who knows what those rules are. That would explain why the foundation doesn't show up on Charity Watch. A good way to solicit funds in the USA without IRS scrutiny, and another reason it sounds fishy.

I am so sick and tired of people making judgements or having expectations of how I SHOULD spend my money just because I HAVE it. Jgrahamii, yes, I spent just over 12 grand on my upcoming cruise, and yes, I can afford the charity charge BUT I WILL not be bullied into being told how to spend one single cent of my money...not 20 cents, not 20 dollars, not a dime! You know why I have money? Because I manage it properly and spend it where I want, as I see fit.

I get your attitude ALL the time. Going to lunch with me, well OF COURSE i'll pick up the tab, I live in a big fancy house. Have to carpool with me? Well of course I'll drive because I have a Benz. Going on a fancy cruise, well of course she can afford a charity donation. I am SICK SICK SICK of people making assumptions that just because I have the resources that I will spend it on THEM.

YEH !! NorthernCheapo, I agree with you 100% !

Bon Vivant- you raise a good point. A non profit soliciting funds (or demanding them) in the USA has to file lots of paperwork with the IRS. I wonder if the portion of this income collected from US passengers is being reported to the IRS, or somehow just being slid into the Monaco books- and who knows what those rules are. That would explain why the foundation doesn't show up on Charity Watch. A good way to solicit funds in the USA without IRS scrutiny, and another reason it sounds fishy.

Thanks, merryecho. This charity thing has seemed fishy and not on the up-and-up to me too. In addition, I resent the tactics – which truly do put some pressure on people. It’s not about the amount of money involved, but about the ethics of SS’s behaviour that is so disappointing. I wanted to put in my two-cents, even though I risk riling some readers who seem not to want to hear about it any more. Maybe, with more of us questioning and complaining, SS might finally get it, drop this dubious activity, and restore our respect for the company. I’ve always liked their product, but when I see them doing things that seem devious and bullying, I have to reconsider whether I want to continue doing business with them, even if I like their cruises.

I’d be more willing to give (and I’d have more respect for SS), if they were promoting a known public charity that has no connection to SS or the owner’s family. But, this is a private, family-run foundation, not a public charity. (I wonder if Bill Gates pressures his customers to give money to his "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation"?)

Although I question the ethics/legality of soliciting the ‘public’ for a private fund, I’d have more respect for SS if they just politely, unobtrusively asked. However, it smacks of coercion that they automatically charge, and put customers into a potentially embarrassing position by forcing them to request removal of the charge.

I will agree I'm spending over $30K. I should be the one to choose not them. It's not the money.

Great post Northerncheapo. This is exactly why people are so annoyed by this stupid practice.

Cheers

Jennifer

Since the charges for onboard accounts seem to come from somewhere outside of the US, I doubt whether the IRS would be a factor.

One could, of course, ask the IRS about it...

NEW SILVERSEA POLICY:

Effective immediately once final payment has been made on your cruise we will charge $1000 to your credit card for any potential damage to your suite while you are on board one of our vessels. If you cause no damage just go to reception toward the end of your cruise and have them eliminate the charge.

1. Go aboard with cruise already spoiled by damage charge.

2. While at reception checking your final bill simply have charge removed.

3. Hope you felt free to enjoy your cruise.

Now wasn't that simple?

Is this true? Or are you making a point?

I would like to address some concerns that readers of this board have raised regarding the roll-out of the Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation onboard our fleet. If you're not aware, the Maruzza Foundation is a non-profit organization in memory of Maruzza, the beloved sister of Silversea's Deputy Chairman, Manfredi Lefebvre D'Ovidio. The Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation is committed to improving quality of life for children and adults with incurable illness by increasing access to comprehensive palliative and hospice care.

Recently, we initiated a program that enables guests to conveniently donate to the foundation by adding an automatic $1 per person, per day charge to their onboard account.

This is a fully optional donation and guests may opt out by contacting the Reception Desk onboard the ship at any time prior to the end of their cruise.

We are getting the word out about this new program to all guests through a number of ways. For one, guests will receive an insert with their final cruise documents briefly explaining the program. Also, on day 3 of their voyage, guests will receive (in their suites) a brochure detailing the work of the foundation as well as an "awareness bracelet" to show their support. Again, guests may opt out at anytime while onboard as well as contribute additional funds if they wish.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter.

Thank you.

Stephen Tucker

VP Field Sales

Silversea Cruises Ltd.

Steve, you miss the point that it should be left to your guests to decide what is deducted from their accounts not the VP Field Sales of Silversea. It should not be a function of your guests to take steps to eliminate an unauthorised charge.Please note the irritation caused on this thread so we can all continue to enjoy the finest luxury cruise line.Your excellent staff on the ships are being badly served by dogmatic management who make and try to uphold such poor decisions.

Steve,

Forgive me but your response is pure BS. You say your program allows us to "conveniently donate" to this charity. In fact, it gives us no choice unless we make the effort to go to Reception and remove the donation, assuming we know about the subterfuge in the first place. A convenient way to donate would be placing a flyer in each suite explaining the charity and its good work and telling people to go to Reception IF THEY WISH TO DONATE. Not the other way around as you have done it. This is what Seabourn does during its trivia games when it announces that anyone who would like to donate to Breast Cancer research please contact reception.

Steve,

No forgive me! Your response is total BS. This, combined with your: (1) UK billing practice, where many of your guests will be charged a foreign transaction fee even though SS says that all charges are in USD and (2) the fact that SS delivers a very good but not outstanding product for the price paid... spells bad news IMHO for your line. Time will tell of course, but good luck. I'm out until things change/improve.

Oh- you get a memory bracelet! That's OK then (that was a joke) This is just the kind of marketing expense that I don't want my charity dollars to go toward.

This topic really rang a bell with me, as I recently read an article about 'personal non-profits' being the new trend for trust fund children who don't really want a job, but want something fun to do and a way to write off lots of expenses. Voila- start your own charity and get your parents friends (or customers) to fund it. Pay yourself a big salary and write off the expense of extravagant fund raising parties. The article listed some politicians children as examples. Could that be what is happening here?

Oh- you get a memory bracelet! That's OK then (that was a joke) This is just the kind of marketing expense that I don't want my charity dollars to go toward.

This topic really rang a bell with me, as I recently read an article about 'personal non-profits' being the new trend for trust fund children who don't really want a job, but want something fun to do and a way to write off lots of expenses. Voila- start your own charity and get your parents friends (or customers) to fund it. Pay yourself a big salary and write off the expense of extravagant fund raising parties. The article listed some politicians children as examples. Could that be what is happening here?

Ta da !!!!:mad:

Good pick up, Merryecho. It sure smells like a scam to me.

Would this kind of a mandatory contribution to "charity" be legal in the US? I have never seen anything like this, ever.

It's presumptuous, even outrageous...but I would use the words automatic contribution rather than mandatory since it can be cancelled.

Archived