Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

Just got our docs for our upcoming cruise. There is a notification that we will automatically be charged a few dollars for a charity that Silversea is involved with. Though, I'm all for donating to charity, I thought it was odd that we were told our contribution is automatically added to our shipboard account and we can remove the charge by visiting Reception during our voyage. Is this something new? I have not encountered it on any other cruiseline that we've sailed on. The name of the charity is Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation.

We've never had that happen. But, our last cruise was Thanksgiving. The charity is for cancer, breast, I think. The SS brochure has an article about it and I think it is on the website.

I just have mixed feelings about this. Thoughts anyone?

I was also surprised by this when we received our documents. i don't have a problem donating, like you said, but thought it was odd to automatically add to account. Maybe they should ask if we agree to this first?

I think this is a bit presumptuous on SiverSeas part? No? Host Dan

"Presumptuous" is a high-class phrase for what I would call "sneaky". The definition for that word is "Going beyond what is right or proper; excessively forward." Seems to fit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Sure does sound sneaky. It reminds me of my experience a few weeks ago (see Silversea v Seabourn comparison thread) where I came home to find the on-board sales consultant booked me into a reservation for an August cruise (which my TA promptly canceled) - when all I did was converse with her about the options while on-board but never put down any form of deposit. It was no big deal to cancel the booking of course, but Ms. pushy sales lady (read through my other post) had no reason or right to do that.

Sorry to hear that they are doing it this way. I think it's the wrong approach. Giving to charity is something that is nice and it is great that Silversea has selected a charity in which to help but this is not the way to do it.

Keith

I do not see why guests are automaticaly entered into the Chairmans wifes charity.It does put you off Silversea a bit.

Also the booking of a cruise by the cruise consultant for which Stines had made up his mind not to take,Stinks.If the cruise sales consultant was any good, she could earn her commission honestly.

In common with many others (I suspect), we support various charities, both with and without planning. But I don't care for "inertia selling", even in a good cause, and my instinctive reaction is to remove this well-meaning but misguided involuntary charge and suggest to others that they do the same.

I would have it removed, just on 'principle"...charity is not demanded...it's freely given. If a corporation automatically ADDS it to your bill (then expects you to "opt out") that's demand.

Refuse.

I hate it at every store you go to, when they ask if you want to "donate" to this or that.....they are in business to sell me something...not to collect for charity.

I have a friend who is in the Cause-Related Marketing Business, and that is what is going on here.

Silversea wants to look like "the good guy" and though the money will come from passengers, Silversea will use this to tout themselves as caring, even if they mention (which they probably will) all their wonderful passengers who donate to this charity.

Put "forced charity donation "cause-related marketing" into Google.

I would be concerned from another standpoint, and that is your privacy. By donating to this charity, in whatever way you do it, your personal information (some of it, anyway) without your knowledge or permission will likely get passed along to that charity and then that charity will sell or "$hare" it with yet other "charities."

This is enough to put me off Silversea until Silversea totally drops this practice.

I am happy to donate to charities of my choice, but it is my choice to do it, and I generally do it via cashier's check, often anonymously, unless I am very familiar and happy with the way the charity handles my donation.

This practice is absolutely outrageous. I simply couldn't object to it more. And I have worked professionally in charitable fund raising. First, you must be asked BEFORE you make a gift. Second, it is insulting to say the least to even ask for a gift without offering sound information about the charity for which you are soliciting and the specific purpose the requested gift would be used for. I would bet the Silversea executives who are behing this outrage don't know these specifics. Most people don't realize that a huge huge portion of the gifts these kinds of solicitations often secure are used solely to pay the overhead costs (mostly fund raisers salaries) of securing them in the first place. And that goes for many of the hugely popular "walks" that so many folks enthusiastically participate in. It is simply foolish for anyone to make a charitable contribution of any kind without having a lot of advanced specific information about the charity soliciting them and specifically how their gift will be used. Silversea is nuts to be doing this!

This is outrageous, and if they are still doing it in October, I will be sure to ask that the unauthorized charge be removed from my on-board account ASAP!

How truly misguided of Silversea executives do do such a stupid thing.

IMHO, I think that some people here are taking this a bit to strong. This is a very difficult time for a lot of people financially, and I am sure that a lot of charities are suffering, in these hard times there are those of us who can manage to go on a SS cruise, is a Dollar a day to charity really going to make a major differance to any of us, yes I know that giving charity should be 100% voluntary,but can you blame SS for trying to raise some cash for a non profit cancer foundation set up in memory of the chairman Manfredi's late sister Maruzza.

I might think twice about doing a shore excursion for a $150 plus but the $21 that this will cost I can put up with. My late farther passed away from cancer 12 years ago this week. I am sure everybody on the CC site knows somebody who has lost the battle with this horrid disease.

Just my 2 cents worth.

IMHO, I think that some people here are taking this a bit to strong. This is a very difficult time for a lot of people financially, and I am sure that a lot of charities are suffering, in these hard times there are those of us who can manage to go on a SS cruise, is a Dollar a day to charity really going to make a major differance to any of us, yes I know that giving charity should be 100% voluntary,but can you blame SS for trying to raise some cash for a non profit cancer foundation set up in memory of the chairman Manfredi's late sister Maruzza.

I might think twice about doing a shore excursion for a $150 plus but the $21 that this will cost I can put up with. My late farther passed away from cancer 12 years ago this week. I am sure everybody on the CC site knows somebody who has lost the battle with this horrid disease.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with a good amount of what you have said. Specifically, that there are a lot of very worthy charities, that the amount of money is small relative to the cost of the cruise or to other items such as shore excursions. Having lost my Mom to cancer and my sister in law to kidney cancer at age 53 (she never smoked and lived a very healthy life) and within six months after it was discovered, my wife and I do a lot for the cancer society. By the way this is one of the reasons that we look at the half glass as being half full and do our best to focus on all of the good in life because life is very short and no one knows what is in store for them.

With that said there are ways and ways to collect money for charity. Another cruise line that we sail on raises money for charity from both the crew and the passengers but it does so in what I would consider to be a normal way. Passengers have the opportunity to donate money from via their shipboard account or though an auction that is held on the ship from time to time. The daily program shows how they can contribute. I think that is a nice approach and we are all for helping others for need.

I don't think it is right to automatically take money out of the account and then to say you can go by the front desk if you would like to not particpate in this. I just think it takes away from something that is good and also puts those who might not want to contribute and puts them in an awkward situation.

I think the better approach is for Silversea to note in their daily program that if guest would like to contribute here's how it works. They could also mention it in the final documents.

Again, we give a good deal to charities. We are very supportive of the Cancer Society. I think that Silversea's effort is commendable. I just think the approach needs to be changed to take something that is a very nice gesture and make it a positive experieince for those who want to contribute while not putting those who do not in an awkward position. It probably means that they will raise less money but to me it's the right way of conducting this effort.

Keith

I think the better approach is for Silversea to note in their daily program that if guest would like to contribute here's how it works. They could also mention it in the final documents. Again, we give a good deal to charities. We are very supportive of the Cancer Society. I think that Silversea's effort is commendable. I just think the approach needs to be changed to take something that is a very nice gesture and make it a positive experieince for those who want to contribute while not putting those who do not in an awkward position. It probably means that they will raise less money but to me it's the right way of conducting this effort. Keith

THANKS to Keith and the others for highlighting and commenting on this issue! When we get on the Silver Cloud this coming Thursday in Copenhagen, we will check on BOTH . . . this item being hidden away on our bill, plus any questions on how our on-board charges will be sent to our credit card, US versus a UK bank. We appreciate these "tips" on what to look for with our billings, etc. Lots of good and helpful info on these boards. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

with all due respect to cruzemaven; this is one cc member that has posted this. i was on the Cloud in March, the Shadow last Aug. and just paid for the Spirit for my upcoming cruise and in NONE of them was a charity charge posted to my account ! i would like to see if there were any more passengers that this happened to !:confused:

with all due respect to cruzemaven; this is one cc member that has posted this. i was on the Cloud in March, the Shadow last Aug. and just paid for the Spirit for my upcoming cruise and in NONE of them was a charity charge posted to my account ! i would like to see if there were any more passengers that this happened to !:confused:

I believe this has only come into being in the last week or two. I rang SS about my upcoming trip, and asked about this and the new formal night changes, it was from them that I was told the amount was a dollar a day per pax.

I've been on Silversea before as well and never saw this either. We are travelling with 8 couples and they all received the same card inserted with their documents. Why would I make this up? This is the website that Silversea stated we should visit to view more information about their charity. ...check it out if you don't believe me: http://www.maruzza.org

I've been on Silversea before as well and never saw this either. We are travelling with 8 couples and they all received the same card inserted with their documents. Why would I make this up? This is the website that Silversea stated we should visit to view more information about their charity. ...check it out if you don't believe me: www.maruzza.org

When I clicked on the link it was not in English.

I think this should bring up the Engiish Version.

http://www.maruzza.org/maruzza_en/index_en.html

Keith

Click on the British flag for English and then after you read the description click on Our Partners on the top heading and you will see Silversea listed as the corporate sponser and that their guests are invited to donate. Inviting and automatically charging is not the same thing. We will not negate the charge on our bill because it is really quite small...but I still think it is presumptuous to do it that way. I just can't imagine any of us in business charging a customer a little extra for our pet charities..and then telling them that they can ask for a refund...very odd.

Whoever thought this up is very missguided. Along with some of the other posters I am aware of the charity, and have always been happy to have an option to choose to give if I so wished.

To turn this on its head is not only presumptious, but just plain wrong.

For starters if its not in the T's & C's it should not be there. Second, it reminds me of the first time on a mass market cruise line when optional tipping was moved to an automatic billing. I understood the financial logic of forcing people to remove the charge, some will not notice, some will be too embarressed to remove it, some will not care either way, and at the end it will be the poor girls on the reception desk who will have to deal with it.

At best, it will end up being another small item of irritation that tarnishes a fantastic product, at worst it could be the thin end of the wedge.

I hope someone at Silversea has enough sense to rescind this before we get our next set of documents in August

Archived