Booking from the UK

wishful thinking

For what it's worth our last two Princess cruises have been booked through a UK cruise club (Clue; you'll never walk alone). We booked cruise only, bought our own flights and saved over £1000 on full cost of both. Four passengers for the price of three, that's a good enough deal for me!

That's just what we do these days! Research thoroughly and then see what agents can offer - I usually find this Club expensive! Then book, and book separate flights to FLL to suit us rather than to MIA usually two days early to chill ready for the cruise. Taking this all into account this saves us c£300 each to put towards transfers, tours, tips, drinks etc etc

£1100 on my next cruise, thats a cruise only price, Princess uk wanted £650 for 3 nts in a hotel in bangkok, £270 booking it direct with hotel. Ok the cruise we are sailing on does not end in Bangkok now, but its worth a mention.

That's just what we do these days! Research thoroughly and then see what agents can offer - I usually find this Club expensive! Then book, and book separate flights to FLL to suit us rather than to MIA usually two days early to chill ready for the cruise. Taking this all into account this saves us c£300 each to put towards transfers, tours, tips, drinks etc etc

We also book our own flights etc. It's just a shame we are unable to book the cruise we want until every other country has had their choice of cabins. You'd think Princess would be happy to sell them to anyone that can pay the price, not which country of residence they come from.

My friend WOULD if he COULD is what I can say, and I take what he says in good faith from a friend I have known for several years and helps me in other ways with his experience!!!! He's in business to sell cruises so why not to me? I discussed this with him again last Sunday when the Crown Princess was in Liverpool doing a round Britain cruise......

As I understand it, Princess US puts pressure on USTAs not to sell to Brits, Aussies etc. Most agents give in to this pressure but some are prepared to stand up to them and deal with us. I know of two agents who are very well known to US cruisers and also to Princess who will deal with us.

Let's be clear...there is no legal bar to a USTA selling a cruise to a non-US addressed passenger and no evidence of such a passenger being denied boarding simply for that reason

As I understand it, Princess US puts pressure on USTAs not to sell to Brits, Aussies etc. Most agents give in to this pressure but some are prepared to stand up to them and deal with us. I know of two agents who are very well known to US cruisers and also to Princess who will deal with us.

Let's be clear...there is no legal bar to a USTA selling a cruise to a non-US addressed passenger and no evidence of such a passenger being denied boarding simply for that reason

100% correct..!! The USTA I use is one of the 'Big Boys' who were asked to cease selling cruises to non US based clients but they stood up and said no to Princess and they have never known a client be refused boarding, simply because there is nothing wrong in what they're doing, other than upsetting Princess of course... Shame..!!

One USTA who is frequently mentioned on here has recently refused to sell cruises to europeans. They would not do this willingly if some penalty has not been imposed by the cruise lines as they must have lost a large amount of revenue. Of course I could come on here an say I had no problems booking in the USA but I did and was turned down by 2 USATA's so I gave up

Most interesting, IMHO, for the failure of any of the cruise lines to blame local laws for this. If there were any truth in the suggestion that UK (or other local) laws prohibit cruise lines from selling here, that would be the first thing they'd say. The mish-mash of excuses speaks volumes.

In reply to the OP, YES, we HAVE booked via our usual USTA a couple of months ago for our 2011 Med cruise.

Although unsubstantiated suggestions abound, I have never heard of anyone being denied boarding BECAUSE they are Brits who have booked using a USTA

Why do I use a USTA ? Amongst other reasons, I can cancel without losing my deposit, I can book earlier with best cabin availabilty and can benefit if the price drops before final payment is due.

Thank you Kool Kruiser for sharing that you had recently booked via your usual USTA and for clearly stating the benefits of booking via a USTA.

I was pleased to read that some of the big US TAs are standing up to Princess's bullying tactics.

Hi Kool kruiser how can I find out who is your usual US TA? The one we use to use will not accept any bookings from UK for most of the cruise companies. I have booked a cruise for Nov 2010 through a UK company at what I think is a reasonable price, however, I would prefer to do it myself and book through a US TA as I use to do.

Archived