Luggage allowance

Emtbsam

While I fear this may incur the wrath of some CC'ers, here goes.

I have noticed a number of times that people cite luggage allowance as the reason for their reluctance to bring formal clothes. IMHO, if one can afford the cruise, one should be able to afford the $50 or so that it costs to bring an extra suitcase with appropriate clothing.

I have noticed a number of times that people cite luggage allowance as the reason for their reluctance to bring formal clothes. IMHO, if one can afford the cruise, one should be able to afford the $50 or so that it costs to bring an extra suitcase with appropriate clothing.

I agree with you 100+%.

It's a relatively small amount relative to the entire cost of the cruise.

If this amount would deter us from taking the cruise we would sail on a less expensive line.

Keith

Wow, what a good point!

You are exactly correct.

Totally agree !!!

We normally travel business class when going transatlantic and the baggage allowance is three 70lb bags plus carry-on.

For the two of us that means a total potential luggage haul of 420lbs plus the carry-on.

I'm not sure we actually own that much clothing !

Dear friends:

While the ten or twenty people who post on the Silversea cruise critic board may agree 100%, the 300 - 500 people who do not post but who otherwise sail on the Silversea ships probably don't agree, and this is why the present and future trend will probably be to encourage, but not mandate, formal dress on cruises.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

While the ten or twenty people who post on the Silversea cruise critic board may agree 100%, the 300 - 500 people who do not post but who otherwise sail on the Silversea ships probably don't agree, and this is why the present and future trend will probably be to encourage, but not mandate, formal dress on cruises.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Not sure why you make that assumption re: the views of the people who don't post. Plus, it's simply a factual statement that the amount charged for extra luggage is quite small compared to the amount that one is paying for the cruise itself.

Not sure why you make that assumption re: the views of the people who don't post. Plus, it's simply a factual statement that the amount charged for extra luggage is quite small compared to the amount that one is paying for the cruise itself.

I agree with what you have said.

I think for the vast majority of folks sailing Silversea that the issue of the luggage is not a big to do.

I also think that the demographics of folks who do not post would be more in keeping with traditional dress codes.

But either way, IMHO when we take clothes for formal night that incrementally this does not cause us to take another piece of luggage. We're not talking about that many items since we would have to wear other clothes if there was not a formal night. Yes, I realize it means a tuxedo, a couple of gowns, a couple of extra shoes but it also means some other items don't have to be taken and this certainly would not drive another piece of luggage for most if not all people.

Keith

I agree. A Tux does not take up any more room than a suit, and I have found that generally dresses take up less room than pants, a jacket, and a blouse or sweater.

Just to disagree its not the cost of the luggage its a vacation. If I want to experience SS that does not mean I want to play dress-up. Reading some of the comments on this post creates an impression as they used to say in the movies that SS is only for the "Hoity-Toity" crowd..

But I do have a question for some of you if $50 bucks is no big deal to dress up why is the $40.00 charge for charity such a big deal? On one hand you complain SS is imposing the charity charge on you and taking away your free will regarding donations and is such a hassle yet on the other bystating the $50.00 is no big deal, and we should all dress up, aren't you lso imposing your choice on me and other cruisers, who do not want to go formal yet still enjoy the SS experience??

Just a thought

:cool:

Just to disagree its not the cost of the luggage its a vacation. If I want to experience SS that does not mean I want to play dress-up. Reading some of the comments on this post creates an impression as they used to say in the movies that SS is only for the "Hoity-Toity" crowd..

But I do have a question for some of you if $50 bucks is no big deal to dress up why is the $40.00 charge for charity such a big deal? On one hand you complain SS is imposing the charity charge on you and taking away your free will regarding donations and is such a hassle yet on the other bystating the $50.00 is no big deal, and we should all dress up, aren't you lso imposing your choice on me and other cruisers, who do not want to go formal yet still enjoy the SS experience??

Just a thought

:cool:

IMHO, you're comparing apples and oranges.

If you use a Platinum American Express you will get 2 free bags on Delta for international travel and a bottle of Dom waiting for you in your suite on the ship in addition the the SilverSea Champaign! I'm just say'in...

If you use a Platinum American Express you will get 2 free bags on Delta for international travel and a bottle of Dom waiting for you in your suite on the ship in addition the the SilverSea Champaign! I'm just say'in...

Some of the guests travelling these days might not get approved for a Platinum Amex Card.:rolleyes:

I think the discussion of benefits from the "AMX Platinum" card is not accurate. If you have a Delta AMX Platinum card -- the one that carries an annual fee of $150 --you are now entitiled to have one piece of luggage checked in free.

If you have a regular Platinum AMX card -- the one that carries an annual fee of $450 -- you receive a $300 cabin credit (on several cruise lines, including Silversea) and a bottle of Dom on Silversea if you pay for the cruise with only AMX cards. As far as I have been able to determine, there is nothing about free checked luggage associated with this card, however, there is a luggage insurance plan that can be added with this card.

There are two distinct benefit programs associated with the two cards.

I think the discussion of benefits from the "AMX Platinum" card is not accurate. If you have a Delta AMX Platinum card -- the one that carries an annual fee of $150 --you are now entitiled to have one piece of luggage checked in free.

If you have a regular Platinum AMX card -- the one that carries an annual fee of $450 -- you receive a $300 cabin credit (on several cruise lines, including Silversea) and a bottle of Dom on Silversea if you pay for the cruise with only AMX cards. As far as I have been able to determine, there is nothing about free checked luggage associated with this card, however, there is a luggage insurance plan that can be added with this card.

There are two distinct benefit programs associated with the two cards.

You are correct Dreps..

Host Dan

Although, I just re-read the Delta Platinum AMX benefit, and more precisely, the first piece of luggage is checked in free along with the first piece(s) of luggage checked in by your traveling companion(s) on the same reservation--up to 9 waivers.

Please spare a thought for Australians travelling to Europe to join a cruise.

23kg checked baggage limit in economy, 30kg in Business, with excess charged at AUD50 per kg if paid at the airport! Ouch.

(one kg = 2.2 pounds).

Steve.

Please spare a thought for Australians travelling to Europe to join a cruise.

23kg checked baggage limit in economy, 30kg in Business, with excess charged at AUD50 per kg if paid at the airport! Ouch.

(one kg = 2.2 pounds).

Steve.

Steve,

Which airline are you quoting from, as they are not all the same with allowances.

If you are a serious cruiser then Business is the only option if you are going for a long time,or sending the luggage ahead is a great alternative.

Archived