Any musicans out there? I need help!

MD_Dan

Our 16 year old daughter will be a Jr in High School in September. She plays both flute and french horn. We've said yes to bringing the flute but how do you guys feel about the french horn? We've told her that we'd ask Royal Caribbean if she could play a little in some off-beat area such as the theater when the ship is docked (and most people will be off the ship). She's really worried about losing her chops in the 9 days cruise. Who in Royal Caribbean should I talk to?

A little background here. She'll be out of the country for 5 weeks during the summer. She's taking her flute but just plans to buzz in her french horn mouthpiece. The cruise ends 2 days before school starts and she wants to minimize summer regression.

I don't see it being a problem to practice in her cabin during daytime hours, as long as it is not too loud, as to bother your neighbors. She could also practice off the ship in port too.

You should check with that cruiseline. On our last Princess cruise, we brought on a guitar and an ukulele (we knew there were ukulele lessons on that cruise) with no problem. In fact, hubby meet some fellow guitarists and they had a jam session on the Promenade deck.

Oh my! A french horn is very loud and bulky to haul to the ship and store in the cabin. I routinely allow my piano students to cease practice during family vacations. It sounds like she is a very motivated, hard working musician and it won't take her long to get her chops back. Most of the kids in her band have not touched their instruments all summer, I'll guarantee you. She'll still be three steps ahead of them!

Now that cruise lines keep the pianos locked up when not in use by a professional, I can understand the situation.

I think a conversation with one of the ship's performancers and/or entertainment managers when you arrive on the ship may open up the chance for some private space for practice. Don't bother with the front desk people as they will say 'no' quickly.

I've negotiated successfully for practice space and time on all but one cruise line and that was an up market luxury line. One musician to another, you can nearly always get help.

..We've said yes to bringing the flute but how do you guys feel about the french horn? We've told her that we'd ask Royal Caribbean if she could play a little in some off-beat area such as the theater when the ship is docked (and most people will be off the ship). She's really worried about losing her chops in the 9 days cruise...

Since you've asked, I will give my advice and thoughts.

First of all, the areas of the ship that may not me open to the public during the daytime (such as the theater) are still closed to the public due to rehearsals. I don't see her being allowed access to crew areas for the purpose of practicing her musical instrument, or for any reason.

Secondly, She will not "lose her chops" in 9 days. Our son played trumpet, euphonium, and drums and he was fine during breaks from school. The first few minutes may have been a bit of a rough re-entry :D but generally, musicians bounce back with resiliency. If this was my child, I would let her know that she may be worrying needlessly. It's my hope she will go on this cruise and relax and really enjoy her vacation.

Thirdly, perhaps her flute can be played quietly in your cabin but the French Horn is something completely different. No offense intended, but I would think this would disturb other passengers. One complaint and she could be shut down for the remainder of the cruise and then you've gained no ground.

Lastly, I checked and musical instruments are not on the "forbidden items" list. Having said that, if you call RCI and talk to three different people, you may get three different answers. Sadly, the customer call center can be inconsistent with their answers. Like I said, since you asked, I would say no to the French Horn on this cruise.

Have fun on your family vacation. :)

I agree with Langley Cruisers.

Most of the time when bingo, performances and anything else official is not going on in the theatre, it is closed for entertainment rehearsals so that is most likely not an option.

The cabin walls are not all that sound proof so practicing there could be dicey. I've heard some things when people thought they were being quiet.;) Also, one never knows when your neighbor might be taking a nap or has retreated there for some quiet time.

There are no out of the way places on cruise ships, even when in port. There are a lot of passengers who stay on board and they do that to enjoy the quiet. She won't be allowed in the theater because the staff have their rehearsals at that time and it's closed to everyone. I would not recommend practicing in the cabin because those walls are terribly thin and the sound would definitely travel. And, what if your neighbor has young children who are napping, or what if a neighbor wants to take a nap? I know I wouldn't be too happy to hear any musical instrument in the cabin next door.

I don't think she's going to lose anything in nine days. I don't play for months on end and still have no problem picking up where I left off.

How will she bring two instruments on board an airplane if you fly to the port? You will be paying a lot in airline fees for not only luggage but for the instruments.

Everyone gave such good advice.

If the cruise line had said no, I would have arranged for her to play (and rent and instrument?) at ports of call. The next best thing was to get permission to take the instruments on the ship and then play them someplace at the ports of call. The next best thing would be to get permission to play (discretely) on the ship when it was a dock. The ultimate was to get permission to play in say a meeting room or conference center for 30 minutes a day (even during the dinner hours, reducing the chance for an irritated cruiser).

It all reminds me of a bad joke (that I'll modify for this circumstance). A person went on a cruise and his coworkers asked him how it went. He said that the people there were really rude. People in the cabin on the right pounded an the wall all night. People on the left side screamed at him at the top of their lungs. "Oh my! What did you do?", asked the coworker. He said that he just continued to play his bag pipes.:)

I can sympathise with your daughter - I'm a flamenco dancer and didn't want to lose my feet whilst on a 6 week cruise. I asked our cruise director on Marco Polo if I could use the theatre stage out of hours and it was no problem at all. Guess it just depends on the line.

I'm a belly dancer and I practice an hour and a half almost every day. Thanks for the tip, for next time I cruise As a dancer I also can relate to your daughter, I understand her passion to play. If I had a 6 week cruise I'd be very upset if i couldn't practice dance.

I'm sorry but can this be real? A French Horn? I cannot imagine having room to fit it in with the vast quantity of clothes and everything else I need to take. For me it's a matter of giving her a huge NO, NO, NO to the French Horn. It's only 9 days after all!!!

...I would have arranged for her to play (and rent and instrument?) at ports of call.

I have to say, I'm absolutely gobsmacked at this. You would spend time and money to not only rent your daughter a French Horn while on vacation, but to also make an effort to get to wherever the rental place is? Isn't this your vacation too? I'm practically speechless. :eek:

I actually think I may have heard everything now.

When I was growing up the girl across the street played a French Horn. I could hear it in my bedroom, across the street, on the back side of the house.

Please have respect for your fellow cruisers and leave the horn at home. This is a great chance for her to get out and round out her experiences!!

Ok I think I can respond to this, being a musician myself, and i've played both flute and mellophone (which is a marching band french horn).

She will NOT lose her chops in 9 short days. I've gone months without playing flute and can pick it back up very quickly. While it's AWESOME that she's so dedicated to her music, she needn't worry about this. She should relax and enjoy the trip.

Sure, she could bring her mouthpiece from the horn and practice if she's afraid of losing her embrouchure, but honestly, I don't see this becoming an issue for someone who is very obviously into studying her craft.

Also, I have to disagree with the flute being any better of an option, a flute isn't quiet either! :-) I feel awkward playing mine in my own home since I live in a condo above someone, and don't want to ever disturb them with the loud instruments. There's some volume control on either instrument, obviously, but for the most part, i'd say if she wanted to truly practice (which would include playing full out and observing dynamics) then neither instrument would be less bothersome to a resting passenger in any adjacent room.

Hope this helps.

OP: Non-musicians cannot understand the passion to play that musicians have. However a cruise ship is not a very good environment to practice an instrument that has a sound range of over a few feet. As stated most cruise lines have rules specifically prohibiting bringing instruments on board. That said, I personally would not have a problem with someone practicing their flute somewhere that it does not interfere with other passengers in any way. My hats of to your daughter to being so passionate about her craft.

Well, I have to disagree about those who say passengers won't be allowed in the theatre etc during non-performnce hours. I have been allowed to do so. In fact when the dancers found out that I have played for many ballet classes, they asked me if I would do a ballet clases for them! I did and we had a great deal of fun.

I have also played in closed lounges and bars on many ships including the old QE2 where they did not lock up the pianos.

As I said in my original post, the parent will have to do some negotiating, but likely has done so many times before. For myself, I just keep asking my questions until I get the answer I want.

Hi,

I'm the mom of the child in question. She will just have come back from five weeks overseas, where she was able to bring her flute but not the horn. She is very anxious about another week and a half of the summer without being able to practice. she was just promoted to the next level band, and wants to prove herself.

We would never allow her to practice where it would disturb someone. I think we can use common sense about it. If they give her permission to use an out of the way conference room or the theater, great. If not, we will come up with plan B. If worse comes to worse, we will have brought a large brass sculpture into the room.:rolleyes:

Thank you to all the music lovers and musicians who gave her support or kind words

Again....We will not allow her to disturb anyone!

MD_Dan's wife

I'm a musician (really just Music Therapist now since I rarely play for anyone not associated with the work I do) as well. I just came off of a 2 week cruise having not played my guitar. I was planning to bringing my ukulele to play quietly in my cabin, but I had no room and didn't want to lug something extra around with me. I just went back to work today and had no problem getting back into guitar and singing. My left hand was a big tired at first, but then my muscle memory was clear as day. You'd be surprised how well muscle memory is retained. I do think your DD will be fine. If she's been practicing regularly before vacation, she should be fine. If she brings her mouthpiece to buzz in, it will keep the embouchure strengthened. I think very short practices with the flute would be fine in an area that wouldn't disturb others, but no reason to go on for hours and hours. Even if she didn't practice at all during that time, I can assure you that she will not lose all skill and technique. Music and memory are quite amazing. It will all come back very quickly. It truly is like riding a bike. Practice is about quality not quantity. Even if you do a short 5-10 minute practice on a passage that's difficult or short etude exercises, that's much better than running through a whole piece several times or playing scale and arpeggios for an hour or 2.

Clarinet is my main instrument which I rarely play these days, but I do find that I can get the stamina and strength back within a week or 2 with short practices after leaving it in the case for several months at a time.

I hope this was helpful.

Wish I played something more portable although I do have a lot of music apps on my iPad. Amazing things!

I always wanted to play a flute but my mouth wasn't made right for that.

My best wishes to this young person who has such a fine sense of determination. Rare!

Archived