Motion Patches Question

robinsnest64

Many people use them, and they can have side effects. What happens to someone else really has no relationship as to what may happen to you. QUOTE]

Agree with rugrats. What happened to my wife has no relationship as to how your body will handle it.

But, since you asked. Scopolmine is a hullicinogenic(sp?). Yes, my wife had hallucinations in the middle of the night. No patch for her anymore.

Many people use them, and they can have side effects. What happens to someone else really has no relationship as to what may happen to you. Suggest you speak with your doctor if you have any concerns and read the link below:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/scopolamine-side-effects.html

So are you saying I should take my chances of sea sickness?

Many people use them, and they can have side effects. What happens to someone else really has no relationship as to what may happen to you. Suggest you speak with your doctor if you have any concerns and read the link below:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/scopolamine-side-effects.html

How in the world did you come to that conclusion by my post? I told you to educate yourself about the side effects, that just because others have/haven't had these side effects has nothing to do with how your body reacts, and to speak with your doctor about using this medication.

No one here is your doctor and no one here knows what other medication you may be taking. Don't ask for medical advice on a chat board.

8 years ago i used the patch and had every side-effect:eek: but the one they say could happen--dry mouth--it is different for everyone just like all methods used...you have to find what works for you:)

try something before the patch...use as a 'last resort'

Ginger caps, GingerAle, bands, OTC...also recently heard of something boaters use called MotionEaze sold at boating supply stores...that will be going with me on my cruise in December...usually GINGER works just fine, but i have the others just in case!!

Me too! My friend was extremely sick an I don't really want to take any chances. My husband used one on a deepsea fishing trip and was ok. Thanks for your reply:cool:

I have used the patch on 2 previous cruises. So far it has worked for me with no side effects. I would really hate to be seasick on a cruise. :eek:

My doctor wrote a prescription and actually recommended them for 1st cruise.

There are others who prefer the patch. Each person is different. The key is to consult your doctor which one will need to do since to get the patch requires a prescription.

Keith

Sorry I was meaning to reply to another, didn't mean to step on your toes, and I believe it is might right to ask what I wish, only those that want to can reply and I wasn't trying to get medical advice since I have already spoken to my doctor.

How in the world did you come to that conclusion by my post? I told you to educate yourself about the side effects, that just because others have/haven't had these side effects has nothing to do with how your body reacts, and to speak with your doctor about using this medication.

No one here is your doctor and no one here knows what other medication you may be taking. Don't ask for medical advice on a chat board.

Hi all, the advice about checking with your own Dr is good, but the advice about trying other non-medicinal remedies first is poor. Motion sickness is a disorder of balance and sensory perception, and is much harder to recover from than to prevent. This is why it's recommended to apply the patch before you experience the unwanted effects of motion sickness, not after.

The actual incidence of adverse reaction is very low, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you, I would hate my 1st cruise to be ruined by seasickness. I already spoke to my doctor who said the same thing as you did. Preventing it is easier than trying to get rid of it once it has set in. That is what happened to my friend, she put it on after getting sick but it did not help at all and trip was a bust. Glad to know not all have side effects just was curious. Thanks again for your reply.

Hi all, the advice about checking with your own Dr is good, but the advice about trying other non-medicinal remedies first is poor. Motion sickness is a disorder of balance and sensory perception, and is much harder to recover from than to prevent. This is why it's recommended to apply the patch before you experience the unwanted effects of motion sickness, not after.

The actual incidence of adverse reaction is very low, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

On our previous two cruises, we used the Scop patch (Rx). We will not cruise without it.

Dry mouth Yes

Blurred vision, only once.

Remember some people are just plain prone to motion sickness.

Part of the problem could be avoided by keeping yourself hydrated.

Drink plenty of fluids,

Best yet go with what works best for you.

Drammamine

Bonnine

Ginger

Scop patch

Safe travels to all.

Sue

my father got totally LOOPED with a scope' patch and a glass of wine ... he doesn't remember anything after the first glass of wine at dinner. He removed the patch the next morning.

So there ARE concerns ....

Try this - put a patch on one day NOW .... and see how you react. If you plan to drink on the cruise with the patch on - try it now AT HOME .....

I've dealt with a lot of sea sick folks in my time at sea . . .

No one is saying that; not even a little bit. Of course you have the right to ask what you wish, but your OP did rather sound like you were kind of asking for medical advice about the patch. (I don't understand what you mean about those who want to can reply though because that's how the forums work.)

In your first post, you did not mention that you have already consulted with your doctor, discussed the various options, and gotten a prescription. Didn't your doctor and/or pharmacist go over the possible side effects and the "do and don't" recommendations? If so, you already know the typical benefits and risks.

Since you asked though, I'll give you a couple of stories about the patch. On day 2 of one cruise a man we know used the patch. He touched the patch to check that it was still there, washed his hands (but perhaps not thoroughly enough), and then wiped his eye. It blurred his vision so much that he was unable to see clearly for the full remaining 5 days of the cruise. On another cruise, a friend of my mom's used the patch for the first 2 days. By day 3, she had horrible dry mouth and she had had "nightmares" most of the night. Were the nightmares related to the patch? I don't know, but considering that hallucinations are a possibility, she thought so.

IMO (and I am not a doctor or other medical professional), the patch should be used for those who have extreme motion sickness and who either do not find relief from other, less harsh, options or who have had bad reactions to them (e.g., sleeping all day with Dramamine or still feeling queasy using ginger capsules). I know that many people have trouble getting back to normal if they don't use strong preventive measures.

If you want to start right away with the patch, I think Capt BJ has a great suggestion about trying one now to see how you react. If you have no side effects, great. If you do, you can go back to your doctor for additional advice.

beachchick

No one is saying that; not even a little bit. Of course you have the right to ask what you wish, but your OP did rather sound like you were kind of asking for medical advice about the patch. (I don't understand what you mean about those who want to can reply though because that's how the forums work.)

In your first post, you did not mention that you have already consulted with your doctor, discussed the various options, and gotten a prescription. Didn't your doctor and/or pharmacist go over the possible side effects and the "do and don't" recommendations? If so, you already know the typical benefits and risks.

Since you asked though, I'll give you a couple of stories about the patch. On day 2 of one cruise a man we know used the patch. He touched the patch to check that it was still there, washed his hands (but perhaps not thoroughly enough), and then wiped his eye. It blurred his vision so much that he was unable to see clearly for the full remaining 5 days of the cruise. On another cruise, a friend of my mom's used the patch for the first 2 days. By day 3, she had horrible dry mouth and she had had "nightmares" most of the night. Were the nightmares related to the patch? I don't know, but considering that hallucinations are a possibility, she thought so.

IMO (and I am not a doctor or other medical professional), the patch should be used for those who have extreme motion sickness and who either do not find relief from other, less harsh, options or who have had bad reactions to them (e.g., sleeping all day with Dramamine or still feeling queasy using ginger capsules). I know that many people have trouble getting back to normal if they don't use strong preventive measures.

If you want to start right away with the patch, I think Capt BJ has a great suggestion about trying one now to see how you react. If you have no side effects, great. If you do, you can go back to your doctor for additional advice.

beachchick

While I agree with you 100% and you offer GREAT advice, after reading the OP's comments, the OP only wanted to HEAR positive feedback.

My mom and my wife both use it for several years. They have complained about Dry mouth but nothing else. We were out a few years ago and hit the edges of a tropical storm and that boat was moving HEAVILY!!! and they were both fine...

My wife actually only uses 1/2 the patch and even during that storm while she was feeling the motion it didn't make her sick... But like has been said here before everyone is different and talk to your doctor.

I'm sure the patch works great for most, but I'd try it before the cruise to see if you have any problems. It made me psychotic and paranoid, and this lasted for three or four days after the cruise too. It's not for me.

beachchick

Hi There

A couple of points that shouldn't really go uncorrected.

The effect of blurred vision is a pharmalogical side-effect, not a response to physical contact with the eye.

Also, Scopalimine really isn't the 'big-guns' as you suggest. It's licensed for moderate motion-sickness so there really is no need for people to suffer or compromise their enjoyment by trying lesser remedies first. if your own physician has prescribed it, it's because he thinks it appropriate.

Have a nice holiday

Hi There

A couple of points that shouldn't really go uncorrected.

The effect of blurred vision is a pharmalogical side-effect, not a response to physical contact with the eye.

Also, Scopalimine really isn't the 'big-guns' as you suggest. It's licensed for moderate motion-sickness so there really is no need for people to suffer or compromise their enjoyment by trying lesser remedies first. if your own physician has prescribed it, it's because he thinks it appropriate.

Have a nice holiday

Perhaps I should have clarified, but then again it doesn't matter all the much to the person who can't see whether it's the result specifically of touching an eye or the fact that the medication (pharmalogical effect) has blurry vision as a side effect.

I did say that I'm not a medical professional and that is was my opinion (based on observation, not research) that more people have bothersome side effects from scopolamine than from many OTC remedies. Of course no one should suffer from motion sickness and I also pointed out that robinsnest64 later told us that she had discussed it with her physician, so it seemed reasonable to assume that her doctor had gone over the benefits and risks. The fact is that she asked us for information that several members have provided. She doesn't know if she will have motion sickness on her cruise. I hope she does not. But I would not use the patch even before I knew I might need it because it is a systemic medication that can (not does, but can) have serious side effects--and that is again my opinion as a lay person, not a physician.

I disagree that all of the other remedies are "lesser" than the patch because several of them are as effective for so many people. Should we go right to a transdermal patch without even knowing whether we're prone to motion sickness? I assume (yes, I know how dangerous that can be) you are a medical professional and have more knowledge about it? I never said I had anything other than personal research and observation experience.

beachchick

I think this is great advice. It's what I plan to do but haven't done yet. I got my rx from the doc, and also bought bonine. I am worried about getting sick and not being able to come back from it.

I thought about just getting on the ship and seeing how I felt -- but then I'm worried I won't overcome it if I do feel ill!!

My DH has epilepsy and there is a warning on the scop patch about it, in his particular case his neurologist gave the ok -- but still...

my father got totally LOOPED with a scope' patch and a glass of wine ... he doesn't remember anything after the first glass of wine at dinner. He removed the patch the next morning.

So there ARE concerns ....

Try this - put a patch on one day NOW .... and see how you react. If you plan to drink on the cruise with the patch on - try it now AT HOME .....

I've dealt with a lot of sea sick folks in my time at sea . . .

Archived