how comfortable are the sofabeds?

I'm always on the sofa beds, and they really aren't that bad. They aren't raised though - it flips out onto the floor. Unless you're in a suite, then they have legs.

Of course, I could sleep anywhere if I'm tired. Oh, just read that you are in a suite. So they have legs and springs. It's pretty comfy. I wouldn't worry about him.

We have a GS on the Mariner booked and 1 adult will be on the sofabed, just wondering really how comfortable he will be?

If you have slept on a sofa bed on land they are no different at sea. IMHO one night is Okay but for seven nights is a streach

My son, daughter in law and I sailed in a Grand Suite on the Explorer. I gave them the bed, and I slept on the sofa bed. I was very uncomfortable the first night, and I asked the suite attendent the next morning to please find me an egg crate or something to make the sofa bed more comfortable. It felt a bit better, but I longed for my wonderful bed at home every night.

The reason I chose a suite over 2 balcony cabins was, that I wanted them to join me in the Concierge Lounge in the evening. I'm a Diamond + member and could have used the lounge nightly by myself, but they wouldn't have been allowed to come along, unless they were in a suite.

I spent over $9,000.00 for a 9 night cruise for the 3 of us, and I slept on a couch. I would never do this again, as RCCL's regular beds are very comfortable.

Ginnie

My son, daughter in law and I sailed in a Grand Suite on the Explorer. I gave them the bed, and I slept on the sofa bed. I was very uncomfortable the first night, and I asked the suite attendent the next morning to please find me an egg crate or something to make the sofa bed more comfortable. It felt a bit better, but I longed for my wonderful bed at home every night.

The reason I chose a suite over 2 balcony cabins was, that I wanted them to join me in the Concierge Lounge in the evening. I'm a Diamond + member and could have used the lounge nightly by myself, but they wouldn't have been allowed to come along, unless they were in a suite.

I spent over $9,000.00 for a 9 night cruise for the 3 of us, and I slept on a couch. I would never do this again, as RCCL's regular beds are very comfortable.

Ginnie

Try TWO egg crate mattress toppers! That helped me make the sofabed much more comfortable. ;)

I'm always on the sofa beds, and they really aren't that bad. They aren't raised though - it flips out onto the floor. Unless you're in a suite, then they have legs.

Can you explain more what the distinction is? The sofa beds I've seen in D1s are also raised and have 'legs'.

I was sharing a balcony on Explorer with my friend and her sister back in '02, and I found the sofa bed unbearable. I don't remember the category but I do remember it wasn't a traditional folding sofabed, it kinda slid out from under the cushions. It wa hard as a rock and was unlevel where the top layer met the bottom layer. We cushioned it as much as we could and it was still horrible.

Instead of any one of us suffering on that thing for the week, we switched beds nightly so we each had like 2 nights on the sofa and 5 on an actual bed. :)

Ginnie

It probably would have been more economical to book 2 balcony cabins and pay for cocktails ;)

I've never slept on a sofa bed I thought was comfortable.

It probably would have been more economical to book 2 balcony cabins and pay for cocktails ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking - I need my sleep.

After that experience, I agree with you 100%.

The main reason I like the Concierge Lounge is, that as a widow, it's easier to meet other people in that setting, than in a large lounge.

I had a totally different experience with a sofa bed on one of our cruises than other posters.

Due to a mistake by a TA, which is history and a non-issue anymore, our family of four was in a cabin with two beds and a sofa bed. Because we were saps, we gave the boys the beds and took the sofa bed. It was so much more comfortable than the beds themselves. In fact, the boys wanted to switch sleeping arrangements, but we refused. :eek:

This was on Rhapsody in 2002, so maybe the sofa beds have been replaced since then.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a picture of a sofabed made up? It's difficult to judge scale from the website pictures. Just having last minute nerves for my 6ft 3in son's comfort (he wasn't this size when we booked 16 months ago:eek:

Information:

Room 7678 D1 Balcony,

Independance of the Seas

Does anyone have a picture of a sofabed made up? It's difficult to judge scale from the website pictures. Just having last minute nerves for my 6ft 3in son's comfort (he wasn't this size when we booked 16 months ago:eek:

Information:

Room 7678 D1 Balcony,

Independance of the Seas

In a D1 your sofabed should be about the size of a double bed. My 6'4" son has slept on them and he is fine. I would not put two adults on it, however.

In a D1 your sofabed should be about the size of a double bed. My 6'4" son has slept on them and he is fine. I would not put two adults on it, however.

Thanks for that, don't feel quite as guilty now having the bed:D

Try TWO egg crate mattress toppers! That helped me make the sofabed much more comfortable. ;)

We did three women in a suite on the Serenade, and Carol had enough prior experience with the sofabed to know to ask for two. I'm assuming she was comfortable enough as we didn't have any mid-week request to change the sleeping arrangements :p Two egg crates are bulky - our cabin attendant used to stuff them behind the sofa during the day!

Archived