Do you order at home as you do on a ship

katiel53

I might indulge a little more and get dessert every night, something I wouldn't do at a restaurant. But I'm real big about not being wasteful so if I order it, unless it's just nasty then I'm going to eat it

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that in the MDR you order all the courses up front....which appetizer, which main and which dessert would you like? There was also bread and butter on the table to start with. I enjoy food, so I ate most of everything that was served to me. I never eat that much at one sitting at home. Not complaining...just answering the question!

I tend to skip the entree for 2app and a salad/soup. I do dessert on a cruise but seldom at home. Now DS has a hollow leg and he often does eat 2 entrees or goes for pizza afterwards , but then he eats like that always.

If your restaurants where you live are anything like ours - portion sizes are SO huge that a salad before the entree will fill you up - :eek:

I like the fact that on a cruise I can order an appetizer, plus a salad and an entree and finish them all :o:o

I've never ordered more than one of anything. Someone I cruised with years ago did order two entrees at dinner, but that's the only time anyone I've been with has ordered multiples of anything.

I'm usually full after the first plate of whatever I'm eating! Unfortunately...there's always so many yummy options. :)

The main difference in our opinion is that the serving sizes are smaller and encourage experimenting. If the servings were the same size as a land-based restaurant, it wouldn't even be up for debate, as it won't fit inside! For example, some of our favorite places here in Houston will bring you 3 crab cakes as an appetizer whereas a ship will bring you one. We like that aspect of cruise dining.

I usually order more than at a restaurant (soup, salad, appetizer, entree, dessert on the ship) but portions are smaller, and I don't waste anything.

This. At a regular restaurant, I might order a salad or soup and entree. Don't usually get appetizer or dessert unless its like a 4 course deal or something where it is included. But the portions are bigger at regular restaurants too. At a regular restaurant, I might take half my entree home.

On the ship I usually get an appetizer (which is about 2-3 bites), soup or salad entree, and dessert. Usually my DD eats some of what I order too, because she (like many kids) thinks that mommy's food tastes better. Unless I don't like something, I eat most of the food I order, except dessert- usually only eat half of it.

Now DH can order two apps or appetizer and salad, 2 entrees and a dessert. He has a bigger appetite than me.

Sometimes I will order 2 appetizers, especially since now salad & soup in this section. But have never ordered 2 main courses or 2 desserts. It's just too much food.

On celebrity, early in the cruise I told my waiter I was trying to decide between 2 different desserts. I would decide on one & he would bring the other later. If he could tell I was deciding between two he kept bringing them both. I told him not to do that since I was trying not to become hugely fat. He'd sneak up to the table laughing & set the dessert down & run away - devil.

I usually eat about the same at home as upon a cruise ship. The variety on the ship is certainly greater than at home and I usually don't have dessert at home often. A appetizer, salad, and main entree, and usually dessert is way plenty for me. I do however, hate to see the food waste, especially at the buffet. On our last cruise, on another line, they offered eight different types of hand dipped ice cream. I watched a lady request a dip of each in a large bowl, take exactly one bite of two of them, and leave the bowl to melt and someone else to clean up. :(

Occasionally, if the appetizers sound really good, I'll order salad, multiple appetizers,( and no entrée.) That's something I wouldn't do at home.

I often order an appetizer and a salad at home in a restaurant . Sometimes soup.

If it's what I want, it's what I do.

No real change on the way we order on cruise ships from what we order at restaurants at home.

LuLu

~~~~

I might order two appetizers at sea where I would not at a land based restaurant but it has more to do with the cost than anything else- on land I have to pay extra for it. I will generally eat what I order unless it's not to my liking (and if I do order two appetizers I know that I really like one of them). (I did try the frogs legs. Can say that I have. Not likely to order them again.)

I order more food on a cruise, but I try not to waste it. Eating in restaurants, I almost never get an appetizer. I also almost never get dessert unless it's a special occasion. On a cruise, if two appetizers catch my eye and I think they sound good, I will order them. If I like it, I will eat it all. If I don't, I won't. Same with meals, sometimes there are sides that come with the meal that I try and if I don't like it, it stays on the plate. The difference, though, is if you order something in a restaurant and don't like it, you can send it back and generally not have to pay for it. I'll even say that a really good server will notice that you're not really eating it and proactively offer to get you something else instead, and not charge you for the item you didn't like.

My habits on the ship are pretty much the same as at home. I waste more food on the ship, because when I eat out at home I generally am able to take my uneaten food back home and eat it the next day.

So for dinner I usually get

1 appetizer

1 dinner entree (which is about half eaten) + extra vegetables (because they give you almost none regularly, I eat those)

Dessert every other night.

Sometimes I get two appetizers and share with my husband. We do that when we go out too.

I rarely eat at the buffet, when I do, I take sparingly and do not waste. If the dining room had smaller portions available, I'd be less likely to waste there.

I've lost weight every cruise, except one where I stayed the same- same amount of food, more exercise.

I am not of the "clean your plate" mindset either at home or on a cruise. People at home love to go out to eat with me because they know they're getting free food! I order a lot and eat less than half of it, generally. I generally don't waste much though because I share it out and I have 3 teenagers to help me most of the time. I just want to try different things. This is why buffets are really my favorite...get a bite of everything!

NEVER - this is the week to try different food. Where ever possible I order what I can't or haven't had back home but then I am not a picky eater and very adventuresome in what I will try. We bbq all year round so steak or pork chops I can have any time I want - also, depending on the style of chicken I may order that. If I look at the menu and don't know what something is or can't pronounce it then I will order it. I don't think I found anything that I didn't like, maybe it wasn't my favourite and I wouldn't order it again but it wasn't gross. Oddly the one thing I don't care for and won't order again is the Chocolate Melting Cake - everyone else I know loves it. I will order dessert but never have it back home either when we are at a restaurant or at home. We are big soup and salad people so always order these and we are big seafood fans so we always order appies as well

I do not. My ordering habits stay fairly consistant.

Same here, I don't like to waste food so don't order if it is not goin to be eaten and don't want to sit with table mates who do that :D:D

Occasionally we will order some something to share (DH and I) but only if we know we will eat it.

I love a variety at meals. I have been known on many occasions to order two dinners at restaurant - I will eat maybe 1/4 of each and take the rest home. I have also ordered three appys when a place does not do a combo - again - many leftovers.

That being said I do try to not order so much that there is a lot of waste as leftovers are not possible, but I do order some extras to try - will usually try to share them with others.

No, of course not, but then in a restaurant you cannot order multiples and pay for only one meal. That said, I would never order more than one entrée, yet I've seen people order multiples every night in the MDR on Carnival. Occasionally I have had them bring me two desserts when I was having a hard time choosing, but that was the waiter's decision. I did not ask for both. What I would consider doing on a cruise that I would not do elsewhere is to try something I wasn't sure I would like. If I absolutely hated it, then I would ask them to bring me something else. I haven't done this yet, but I would consider it. More likely, I would ask for a taste from my husband or another family member's dinner rather than order a whole entrée I wasn't sure I was going to eat.

Archived