interior room for 2 couples?

vacation 2011

I can't believe there aren't more people coming here and saying "yes, you are never in your cabin anyway". I read that comment constantly here on CC regarding 4 sharing a cabin, I guess the only difference here is that it is 2 couples instead of 4 friends or parents w/2 kids.

The last time we cruised with our kids in the same cabin was in 2004 and we swore we would never do it again. That was a balcony cabin not an inside. When I read the above quoted statement all I can think of is, yes, you do have to get out of your cabin to save your sanity. It wasn't just getting ready or bathroom use that was the problem, it was farting, snoring, moaning, restless legs kicking, getting up to use the bathroom mulitiple times during the night. Then, the kids (early teens) wanted to sleep till the crack of noon, we are both early risers, so no room service to have coffee on the balcony.

I absolutely don't agree that it is worth it to save a very few dollars. I also don't agree with the statement another person made to not take excursions in Europe. So the very best these people should do is to #1 wait another year and save more cash or #2 try to get a second part time job and earn the cash for the trip now or #3 severely limit your spending at home to be able to afford the trip.

OK, so I went and checked the pricing and it would be a significant change in price, around $600 per person. Unbelievable how much the prices are so much higher than when we went in October of 2008, we paid less than this for junior suites on a 13 night cruise :eek:

Still $100 per night per cabin is a small price to pay for your privacy and to preserve a friendship. Plus your health, I cannot imagine the intestinal/bladder disruption of having to wait your turn for the bathroom.

So my vote and advice remains the same.

Just think....the WORST case scenario....what if the dreaded Norovirus struck!!! Can you imagine being stuck with 4 people in one cabin - all or one with Noro..??? And one bathroom....:eek:!!

I don't even wanna think about it........:p

You might want to shop this around to the TV networks. Two couples sharing an inside would make a dandy reality show. :D

Maybe you'd make enough money from the TV show to book a lifetime of cruises with a balcony cabin for 2. :D

I would say that unless someone is going to pay YOU a great deal of money to share an inside with 3 others for 12 days, don't do it. :eek:

Good luck!

As other posters have said, it is rare to have a thread on CC where there is so much agreement. The only other one I can remember is the one on the Celebrity boards a year or so ago where we all talked about our dear pets, past and present, and what they meant to us.

Please do not be scared away by our collective strong response. I think that all posters on this thread are sincerely trying to help you prevent a nightmare scenario and come away from this vacation with "wow" memories of only the best kind.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and, as another poster said, we'd love to hear back from you, no matter which way you choose.

Have fun.

Susan

DH and I don't even think an inside is big enough for two of us. I cant' imagine. I would opt to save for a few more months and then book two cabins for a later date if money is the issue. I know my DH doesn't think it's a vacation if he can't have "some fun" so this would never work for us. LOL

Booked on Ruby 7/3/2011 Barcelona to Venice. Have interior room for 2 couples. Want to spend money on tours. Does anyone have advice if this is the way to go?

I agree with everyone else that this is a disaster waiting to happen. If money is a concern book two of the cheapest guarantee cabins available and hope for an upgrade.

I will be the echo of the echo and say no way!! Please reconsider and don't do this. You can budget another way, but 2 couples (let alone one family of 4) in one inside cabin will be waaayy too close for comfort.

As George Costanza said,

''There's no "buffer zone"." :p

I can't believe there aren't more people coming here and saying "yes, you are never in your cabin anyway". I read that comment constantly here on CC regarding 4 sharing a cabin, I guess the only difference here is that it is 2 couples instead of 4 friends or parents w/2 kids.

The last time we cruised with our kids in the same cabin was in 2004 and we swore we would never do it again. That was a balcony cabin not an inside. When I read the above quoted statement all I can think of is, yes, you do have to get out of your cabin to save your sanity. It wasn't just getting ready or bathroom use that was the problem, it was farting, snoring, moaning, restless legs kicking, getting up to use the bathroom mulitiple times during the night. Then, the kids (early teens) wanted to sleep till the crack of noon, we are both early risers, so no room service to have coffee on the balcony.

I absolutely don't agree that it is worth it to save a very few dollars. I also don't agree with the statement another person made to not take excursions in Europe. So the very best these people should do is to #1 wait another year and save more cash or #2 try to get a second part time job and earn the cash for the trip now or #3 severely limit your spending at home to be able to afford the trip.

Me too. It really irks me when members write that. What they should say is "if you're like we are and you only use the cabin for showering, dressing, and sleeping, then it could be fine." We do spend some time in our cabin, specifically on our balcony. That's why we don't cruise unless we have a balcony. Cabin size, type, and location are very important to us, but I don't assume that everyone feels the same way. It's as if we must be cruising "the wrong way" if we don't get out and go, go, go constantly like they do. (Okay, rant finished.)

In any case, even if they are the go, go, go types, I can't imagine two couples (or any four adults) spending 12 days in a 140-180 sq ft space, especially since that includes the tiny bathroom, closets, and storage. Plus, which couple gets relegated to the sofa bed or pullmans? How do you allocate closet and storage space? How do you change clothes in privacy? I suppose if both couples don't care about such things, it might work as long as they treat it as dorm living, including "signals" for private time... But for anyone who has outgrown that, there's simply no way I could recommend it.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...
Don't do it. My DD and SIL booked inside and shared wtih their small son and his Mother. It's been 4 years and we are still hearing the horror stories of this shared cabin. Your best bet would be to find someway to come up with the money for 2 inside cabins. Here are a few of the glitches they ran into: MIL had to positively, couldn't wait, dinner didn't agree with her stomach get into the bathroom. My daughter had to get out of the shower with a head full of shampoo. Bunk beds for DD and SIL and no privcy while dressing. My SIL and Grandson are still scarred for life from a bathroom door (not properly latched) swinging open during a storm while his Mom was dressing. Stepping into a steamy bathroom after 3 others have showered and gotten water and their toiletries all over the place. Two women trying to blow dray their hair and get dressed when the bathroom schedule got off kilter due to activities. Awkward moments when SIL and DD got into an argument while MIL and their son sat up looking on because there was nowhere to go. Closet space. MIL had room service delivered on the morning after DD and SIL went out drinking the night before and woke them up at the break of dawn. MIL getting up and down in the night to use the bathroom and the light waking up their son every time. Son stepped off his bunk into the Grandmother's chest. Thinly veiled remarks at DD because she took more than her alloted time to get ready for dinner at night. Thinly veiled remarks by DD to MIL about all the bathroom trips in the middle of the night. I'm sure I've forgotten some of the problems but this is just an example of what can happen..it wil RUIN your friendship. My daughter has yet to recover enough to ask her MIL to go on another vacation with them, which is a shame. One neat couple and one messy couple is enough to do in the vacation too. Why don't you try locking yourselves into one of your walk-in closets for a week before going on the cruise. If you come out of the closet at the end of the week still friends, then book the inside cabin. If one or more is arrested for assault or murder, the others should book separate cabins for the cruise.

This made my not being able to sleep bearable! But after laughing so much, I am now fully awake! :D Wonder if the son stepped off the bunk onto Grandmas chest on purpose! Thanks for the laugh!

Oh yeah, and I vote NO. This is not Las Vegas!

Several years ago, my parents took sailing lessons. Friends decided they were going to "go with them" on this adventure. While they had their own "cabins" (more like coat closets) it was such close quarters for a week that unfortunately, their friendship, radically changed...for the worse.

While we've never stayed in an inside cabin, I can say there is no way I'd share with another couple even in a mini suite!

Based on the fact that four of you were even considering this, I'm going to assume that you are all VERY close friends with a lot in common. That's fantastic! Keep it that way!

Best of luck on your adventures and happy cruising! :)

Doesn't sound like a good plan! For our two upcoming cruises:

3 BFFs sharing a CC balcony room. If the 4th had been able to come, we'd have gotten 2 rooms. (No modesty issues here - we are three women who have been friends for 40+ years even though we are each only 39 :rolleyes:)

Family of 4: 1 balcony room for us, 1 inside for our girls. 4 people + 1 bathroom DOES NOT = vacation!

Let us know what you decide!!

Sara

Spend a week in a walk in closet together. If anyone lives to talk about it, they should be fine. Those on trial for murder, should ask their attorney to only choose people who have been on a cruise as jurors. No one who has been on a cruise could come to a verdict other than justifiable homicide for someone in a cabin with 3 other people. As I said, my sister and her son and my Grandson and I shared an oceanview for a week. My sister is the most generous, compassionate, patient person I've ever met. On the last day of the cruise, she threw a toothbrush on the floor of the cabin and ground it in with the heel of her shoe because she swore my 3 year old Grandson had used her toothbrush and I insisted his was in my purse, in the case, still wet from where he had used it after breakfast :eek:. Don't laugh...cabin rage is as real as road rage folks. Something just snaps, you see what's happening but it's like you were outside your body. You hear the sarcastic remark coming out of your mouth and you say to yourself, "Did I just say that out loud?" It's like it's happening in slow motion and you don't remember what you did after you snapped. When your 9 year old nephew runs in the bathroom ahead of you and locks the door, you shoot him the bird without realizing your hand is up and finger pointing. You can't be held responsible for your actions. He has a strong bladder, but yours is full from the extra drinks up on the pool deck, on a day at sea, where you sat down among hundreds of others and declared, "finally, some privacy for a change..." The extra drinking to compensate doesn't help, but you just keep ordering drinks...first it's the fruity drinks...then it's doubles...then you order a mango tango with just the alcohol..no Mango, no Tango in the glass. Luckily, we had separate cars for the drive home and some privacy therapy in our own homes, and we were able to pretend the cabin rage didn't happen to us. The four of us have been on 7 additional cruises together and never once have we mentioned sharing a cabin again.

The OP might like to try an experiment before making any cruise plans. Invite another couple over to your home for an evening. Then try spending the night in a 12 x 12 bedroom (with a tiny bathroom) with that other couple. Not my idea of fun...but of course if you are into swapping it might be interesting :)

Hank

Just to put things in perspective in regards to the size of an inside cabin, here is a typical inside cabin with the pull down bunk beds:

IMO, much too small for 4 adults to share. I can only wonder how these 4 kids survived the experience - I'm thinking the cabin was a zoo! LOL!

I agree that such a trip would make a fantastic reality show!

Inside rooms are crowded for just 2 people. I can't imagine what

it would be like with 4 people. I would not want to do it.

I disagree. The inside cabins on the ships I've cruised (Carnival and Princess) are the same size as exterior or balcony cabins.

I would still NEVER cruise as a couple with another couple. I usually cruise with two girlfriends and we are not crowded, but that's like a slumber party. Closet is more than ample for 3 of us. I wouldn't even have FOUR of us in a cabin together, though.

Can't even imagine how stressful that would be AND THEN YOU ARE TRAPPED WITH THEM:eek::eek:

Spend a week in a walk in closet together. If anyone lives to talk about it, they should be fine. Those on trial for murder, should ask their attorney to only choose people who have been on a cruise as jurors. No one who has been on a cruise could come to a verdict other than justifiable homicide for someone in a cabin with 3 other people. As I said, my sister and her son and my Grandson and I shared an oceanview for a week. My sister is the most generous, compassionate, patient person I've ever met. On the last day of the cruise, she threw a toothbrush on the floor of the cabin and ground it in with the heel of her shoe because she swore my 3 year old Grandson had used her toothbrush and I insisted his was in my purse, in the case, still wet from where he had used it after breakfast :eek:. Don't laugh...cabin rage is as real as road rage folks. Something just snaps, you see what's happening but it's like you were outside your body. You hear the sarcastic remark coming out of your mouth and you say to yourself, "Did I just say that out loud?" It's like it's happening in slow motion and you don't remember what you did after you snapped. When your 9 year old nephew runs in the bathroom ahead of you and locks the door, you shoot him the bird without realizing your hand is up and finger pointing. You can't be held responsible for your actions. He has a strong bladder, but yours is full from the extra drinks up on the pool deck, on a day at sea, where you sat down among hundreds of others and declared, "finally, some privacy for a change..." The extra drinking to compensate doesn't help, but you just keep ordering drinks...first it's the fruity drinks...then it's doubles...then you order a mango tango with just the alcohol..no Mango, no Tango in the glass. Luckily, we had separate cars for the drive home and some privacy therapy in our own homes, and we were able to pretend the cabin rage didn't happen to us. The four of us have been on 7 additional cruises together and never once have we mentioned sharing a cabin again.

Holy crap - this is the funniest thing I have read in a really long time!!! ROTFLM ASS OFF!!!!!!

Archived