Over the door shoe organizer

Biker201

I've never seen them provided or sold on any of the cruises I've been on. I know people talk about them on the cruise threads..but they bring their own, usually bought cheap at places like Dollar Store.

Personally I've not found them useful. Had one, left it behind (deliberately) on a cruise or two ago, and haven't missed it.

I took one last year for our Pearl Alaska cruise and I loved mine. My DH and I were in a mini-suite balcony and there was NO space on the counter top in the bathroom for all my "stuff". Maybe I travel with more stuff than most, but it was wonderful to go to one place to find it all and it doesn't take up much room in baggage. I found mine at a drugstore.

People bring their own.

I got mine at the thrift store and some get theirs at the dollar store.

When there are only two of us I don't need one but when there are 3 or 4 of us it really helps. I really like to have "everything in its place" and counters clear. It's a great place to keep things that you want to grab as you go out like camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, and also for things that everyone might want access to: scissors, OTC meds, shampoos and conditioners (I don't like the ones provided).

I bought one at a Dollar Tree, took it on a cruise, could never figure out a use for it, gave it to Goodwill when I got home.

We've always found that there was enough storage in the cabin for us to stay organized.

Absolutely EVERYONE had this on their list. Bought it. Carried it. Left it on the ship in the closet where it had spent the entire week. When there are 2 people in a cabin, there are little shelves and big drawers EVERYWHERe. They are in the bathroom behind the mirror (sort of like a medicine chest). There's a ledge in the shower for shower gel, shampoo, conditioner. In the room there are two night stands, each with a deep drawer. There are little shelves hidden on the side of the mirror of the dresser. There is a dresser with many drawers. There is a set of shelves beside the closet and then a very ample closet. I absolutely hate clutter and that over the door thing just looks like a cluttered mess to me. There's plenty of room to have everything in it's place. It just wasn't needed and was something else to pack. Save the suitcase space.

griffy116,

What cruise line where you on that had so much space? It's my understanding that space can be tight.

I would say, it depends on how many are in your cabin and if you are a light packer or packed the kitchen sink.

I would perfer to have it to keep things organize.

griffy116,

What cruise line where you on that had so much space? It's my understanding that space can be tight.

I would say, it depends on how many are in your cabin and if you are a light packer or packed the kitchen sink.

I would perfer to have it to keep things organize.

Yes, space is "tight", but griffy is right - there really is lots of storage space in all sorts of unexpected places. And you are right -- if you've not "packed the kitchen sink", there is plenty of shelf, closet and cupboard space to keep your things organized. You're both saying essentially the same thing.

I cruised RCCL and the selves and drawers I mentioned are on every cabin on every RCCL ship we've sailed (9 cruises). Some are tucked away, like the ones on the side of the dresser mirror. I've learned, since the airlines started charging for luggage that I can pack less and that I don't feel I've sacrified or been deprived of anything. I've seen people that carry Brita water filters, their own toilet tissue, duct tape, bungee cords, fans, travel steamers, night lights, power strips, extension cords, speakers for balcony, walkie talkies, reusable water bottles, back packs and on and on and on. That's a suitcase full without any clothing!!! On our first cruise, I packed everything that someone said was essential. As we did more cruises, we eliminated long lists of items never needed. I believe my post said "if there are 2 people in a cabin" that there are a number of things you won't need. "Wanting" these things is a different subject. I've seen people waiting to Board, carrying their pillow from home, which is their choice...not mine. My Mother wanted to carry an inflatable life raft on her first cruise, "just in case" we sank. We didn't take that either. We carry a few travel packets of Pepto-Bismol, Ibuprofen, band-aids, a small sewing kit (size of a matchbook). We steam our wrinkles out in the shower (or worst case, send to be pressed). We mix and match clothes and shoes for days, evenings and formal nights. We take our undies and shoes in the zip locks (they even make x-tra large for shoes), which make all the drawers and shelves very tidy and also very organized and make packing and unpacking a breeze. As I've said, I don't like camping because you've got to take pack and unpack so much stuff. It's not like you are stranded in the middle of nowhere. If we need something or forgot something, we buy it and consider it a nice souvenior when we get home, such as t-shirt, earrings, baseball hat. That's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

i have taken it and used the last 4 cruises or so..only 2 of us...it holds alot of stuff that i dont want thrown in a drawer so i cant see and since it is clear i can easily see it when i need it-all those extras we bring along...its a NECESSITY for me when i cruise...EVERYONE has to find what works for them...doesnt matter if there are 2 people or 4:)

before the cruise i hang one up in the bathroom and use it to gather up all those extras that we need to take and instead of throwing in a bag so i cant see what i already have...they are in the pouches and easily seen.

True that the cabins have lots of storage space, drawers, shelves etc. But I will feel 3/4 nuts well before the end of the cruise if I've had to go on a treasure hunt looking through all that lovely storage space for the one thing I needed to head out the door, etc. If you are extremely organized, don't pack much, remember exactly where you set things down all of the time then it might be a waste of packing space. For me, not so much. It helps to have those little clear pockets & more "set places" for me where things go. Makes my vacation more pleasant to have the organizer.

We will be in a GS so I won't need mine but My 2(teen) DD's will be sharing a room down the hall and I have one for them to use. 2 teen girls :eek: That is alot of bathroom things. One has contacts so that is a bunch of junk right there, add in make up and hair supplies, medacines... I'm sure they'll put it to use!

When my DH and I were on the HAL Westerdamn in an inside room :eek: there was NO room at all! I would have killed (ok maybe just mammed ) for something to give me some extra space!!!

Being the organized person that I am, I decided having one of these clear over the door shoe hangers was necessary. I don't know when or where everyone else found theirs, but they are no where to be found in CT! I've been to 4 Dollar Tree stores, several other discount stores, CVS, Walgreens, Target and Walmart. I found 2 that are made with fabric pockets, which defeats the purpose of being able to see what's in the pocket and they were $15. Good luck finding one where you live. As for me, I've wasted enough time and am sure I'll have a great cruise even if Im not as organized as I'd like!

I've seen them at bed bath & beyond, fred meyer and also walmart. I know some stores are regional & may not be in your area.

Online is an option, I think $15 or so is typical price wise. I saw this one that is listed as a cap organizer for $7.99. A little smaller, but looks like it holds plenty. http://search.organize.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.organize.com%2Fovdocaporwhc.html

The same site has a longer shoe organizer with 2 smaller pockets at the top. I think it's nice when not all the pockets are the same size.

Or one from target online if you don't have the stores locally - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CGAQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.target.com%2FHousehold-Essentials-Over-Organizer-Pockets%2Fdp%2FB000CEC16A&ei=-zVfTIadA4eesQPG7PGrCA&usg=AFQjCNFLqfu8Ft-34opZ9S3O5JhzE5W_QQ

But like you said, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise either way. :)

Being the organized person that I am, I decided having one of these clear over the door shoe hangers was necessary. I don't know when or where everyone else found theirs, but they are no where to be found in CT! I've been to 4 Dollar Tree stores, several other discount stores, CVS, Walgreens, Target and Walmart. I found 2 that are made with fabric pockets, which defeats the purpose of being able to see what's in the pocket and they were $15. Good luck finding one where you live. As for me, I've wasted enough time and am sure I'll have a great cruise even if Im not as organized as I'd like!

Do you have a Lowe's near you? Found mine there in the Closet section.

We've always had plenty of room for things, but as some have mentioned, finding things is another story. Plus DH is "finding things in front of his nose" challenged. The shoe organizer has been a blessing.

Here's our shoe organizer from the last trip

shoe%20hanger.jpg

Where in CT are you? You can have mine! Took it twice but don't think I'll bother with it again. It was definitely helpful when we had 3 people in a small interior room (my son's girlfriend travels with a lot of beauty aid stuff!) but for just my cruise roomie & I it's not necessary. I just came across it in the closet a few days ago when I was looking for something else... Seriously, you want it, it's yours!

Archived