Toiletries

In the 2011 Regent Summer Collection brochure it says Hermès toiletries in Penthouse Suites and higher. Below that it says L'Occitane amenities in all suite categories. Does anyone know if this is true for the current year's sailings? I have read so many complaints about the Regent toiletries and persoally did not care for them on our Alaska cruise last August. We are going on a Regent cruise next month and were wondering if Regent is listening. Have they have switched over to these new brands?

By the way, I never got a brochure in the mail so I visited the website and requesed one. I received it rather quickly. I guess they are not mailing them to past cruisers. I received the brochure with a welcome letter thanking me for my interest in cruising with Regent. I automatically receive lots of brochures from Regent's competitors without even requesting them.

So I assume you're in one of those penthouses? We were in a PH in December and there was certainly no Hermes in sight.

I hated the regular toiletries, and my husband broke out in a rash. So this December we'll be packing our own (a pain.) I really wish they would provide something decent.

We were in a 'regular' cabin this past April. There were no l'Occitane toiletries but 'R' for Regent's brand. They are unimpressive but adequate. They are packaged in rather stiff containers that look attractive when lodged upright on your sink's counter but are very difficult to operate/utilize with wet or soapy hands. Everyone seemed to be complaining about them. The soap was square.

Anyone who prefers luxurious toiletries should consider bringing their own.

we didn't see any L'Occitane products either - Regent brand only - and i totally agree with the above posters about them - nice to look at, terrible to use - i, too, hate packing shampoo and such, on our next cruise, i'll use some of our OBC's and treat myself to some from the spa -

j

Aboard Mariner in NOV/DEC 2009 and again MAR/APR 2010...We had Hermes which we both find to be quite nice...

This is why I recommend having your own brand of toiletries. My DH dislikes the scent of Hermes so much that he asks me to put it in another room -- wrapped in paper -- then plastic. . . . and put in a drawer in the closet:confused:

Luxury Cruise passengers should expect and be provided with good quality toiletries with packaging that works in the shower for passengers with arthritic hands. There should be no need or desire to purchase toiletries in the ship's Spa or lug them across the country(ies). Toiletries are not a high cost item and should be available for the comfort of the passenger.

Luxury Cruise passengers should expect and be provided with good quality toiletries with packaging that works in the shower for passengers with arthritic hands. There should be no need or desire to purchase toiletries in the ship's Spa or lug them across the country(ies). Toiletries are not a high cost item and should be available for the comfort of the passenger.

I agree with you -- especially regarding the packaging that is difficult for anyone to use. Their challenge seems to be providing toiletries that most people like due to the diverse needs of their guests. If we look at shampoo alone, some people have dry hair, oily hair, limp hair, thick hair, etc. It does not seem possible to meet the expectations of all passengers. Here I am complaining about Hermes -- a wonderful product. . . . . but, not something that works for us. IMO, Regent should find a good line of products -- for the average person -- easy to open and use -- and, if some people do not care for it, it is up to them to pack their preference.

Finally some others share my feelings! I am booked on two future Regent cruises (have never sailed with them before) but have been getting very concerned over some of the changes I've been reading about. When a luxury cruise line cuts back in such a visible area as shampoo and soap and can't continue to provide an upscale brand that its passengers would normally expect in a hotel room, I wonder about cutbacks that aren't so visible. Travelers with "problem hair" already know to take special shampoo if we need it, but if we are used to staying in upscale hotels and normally don't pack special shampoo, why should we have to pack shampoo and soap when we travel on Regent??? If the "R" toiletries were an upscale brand, the manufacturer would be identified on the packaging. I realize this is a very small item in the overall scheme of things, but what it could potentially indicate is what concerns me.:(

As a side note, sometimes the perfume in the upscale lines is offputting. I don't recall the Hermes scent, but the Bulgari (Green Tea) lotion is one I can no longer tolerate, even though I used to wear the fragrance years ago. However, if Regent supplied Bulgari in the suites, at least I would recognize that they were making an effort to provide us with an upscale brand of toiletries. Little things do make a difference, and I think that's why we have all chosen to cruise with Regent rather than other lines.

Hear hear! They also should improve the little metal holders in the showers, which are ill-suited for the task of holding little bottles of shampoo, etc.

FWIW:

About a week ago I had sent this email to Regent:

"Greetings: What is the brand of shampoo in the standard suite "Regent" bottles? Are any other options available in the standard suites? What additional brand(s) are available in the upper level suites? Thanks. ED"

This was the prompt (next day) reply:

"Hello,

In standard suites the brand is an exclusive Regent brand. We have a specific brand just for Regent. Once you get into the penthouses or above the product is Hermes. This is a French line of products.

Thank you,

Randall James | Retail Sales Supervisor"

I started this post because I read in the 2011 brochure that L'Occitane is the brand of toiletries, and Hermes is still mentioned for penthouse suites and above. It seems like they are switching from the Regent brand to the L'Occitane brand according to their brochure.

Right. I agree with you; I saw it too - which is why I sent the aforementioned email to Regent.

From the Summer 2011 Collection brochure: http://www.regentinteractive.com/SummerCollection/pdf/MKFL10154_sm.pdf

• Hermès® toiletries in Penthouse Suites and higher

• L ’Occitane® amenities in all suite categories

Whereas the Winter Collection (September 2010 – May 2011) brochure said: http://www.regentinteractive.com/Winter_Collection/pdf/Winter_Collection2.pdf

• Hermès® toiletries in Penthouse Suites and higher

• Luxury bathroom amenities in suite categories D– H

We were in a butler suite (06/23/10 sailing) so had the Regent + Hermes. We had friends in a standard suite so I asked their stewardess about the L'Occitane brand availability. She said they only had Regent.

I did send a followup to Regent (regarding confirmation of the future availability of L Occitane and specific date of said availability) and will let you know the results.

I expect that they had a large inventory of Regent-branded toiletries that they needed to burn through. Since they are no longer affiliated with Regent hotels, once they finish with that inventory that will be that. I'm guessing that they're estimating that the R stuff will be gone by 2011.

I rather wish they'd go back to Aveda. I know some did not like the scent of the shampoo, but I did. And I loved that they used an unscented lotion from Aveda. I have problems with floral scents, which is what most scented lotions are. Does anyone know if L'Occataine has an unscented lotion?

I truly believe that threads such as this one will go on forever. While my DH does not like the scent of Hermes, I do not like the scent, or anything about Aveda. Whether or not Regent is, once again, changing their toiletries in 2011, some people will love it and others will not. I do hope that Regent switches to name brand toiletries so they will fit in with other luxury cruise lines.

I guess I'm in the minority because I actually DO like the R products (just not the packaging).

What I REALLY like are the Elemis Spa products used by another one of Apollo's cruise ship companies but on THAT line's thread what you get are complaints about the toilet paper :eek: Seriously, I kid you not! If you take all of the above threads and substitute TOILET PAPER A for Hermes and TOILET PAPER B for R products it would be a similar thread.

Okay, just wanted to bring some lighthearted laughter to the board -- I'm out now :p

I like to stuff in the Regent bottles too, just not the packaging. I have mild arthritis in my right thumb and getting lotion out of that container is nigh unto impossible. I can only imagine how hard it is for someone older.

Archived