cruise cost

pozz

I've done some cruise searching,i see other cruise companies charge $200 or more a person for the same cruise that i will be doing on carnival.No wonder everyone chooses Carnival.Are these other companies worth it?

I've done some cruise searching,i see other cruise companies charge $200 or more a person for the same cruise that i will be doing on carnival.No wonder everyone chooses Carnival.Are these other companies worth it?

It's all in which line suits you best. As you can see from my signature we have tried several different lines. With the exception of Disney on all other lines I usually book far enough out that the prices are not too far apart.......but the key is to book early....

We have decided that RCI is going to be the best fit for us, but I would not hesitate to sail Carnival or Princess again if the price was right.

Your question is pretty vague, with way too many variables to answer. For example:

are you comparing exactly the same cruise? Same number of days, same ports? same category of cabin?

Every cruise line has a certain "ambiance", a certain character. Some are much more formal than others, some more family oriented, some have things like afternoon teas (that are part of your cruise fare), some have activites on board that they charge for (which would make a difference in price),

and so on. Obviously some of us thing "other companies are worth it" becuase we don't cruise exclusively on Carnival. Or we've tried a cruise line and won't cruise on it again.

Do you have any more specific questions?

This qualifies as one of the most ridiculous statements I've read all day. If it's a different ship, or even departure date, it's not the same cruise. You can't change a cruise region or port, but you can change your vacation experience depending on which ship you choose to travel on.

...by your logic, that's like saying "I've done some car searching, I see other car companies charge $2,000 or more per car for the same car that I will be buying from KIA..."

I hope you enjoy your cruise. It's a great way to travel.

A Kia has 4 wheels, brakes, a steering wheel, and gets you from point A to point B. A KIA is a great mode of transportation.

A BMW has 4 wheels, brakes, a steering wheel, and gets you from point A to point B. A beemer is a great mode of transportation.

Are there any differences besides base price?

your question is pretty vague, with way too many variables to answer. For example:

Are you comparing exactly the same cruise? Same number of days, same ports? Same category of cabin?

Every cruise line has a certain "ambiance", a certain character. Some are much more formal than others, some more family oriented, some have things like afternoon teas (that are part of your cruise fare), some have activites on board that they charge for (which would make a difference in price),

and so on. Obviously some of us thing "other companies are worth it" becuase we don't cruise exclusively on carnival. Or we've tried a cruise line and won't cruise on it again.

Do you have any more specific questions?

yes the same 7 day cruise with balcony on other cruise lines is 200$ or more,i was just wondering why that much of a price difference.no wonder carnival is so popular,ther is nothing vague here ,i checked

yes the same 7 day cruise with balcony on other cruise lines is 200$ or more,i was just wondering why that much of a price difference.no wonder carnival is so popular,ther is nothing vague here ,i checked

I think until you actually experience a cruise, the "same cruise" but on different lines, you really don't know what you're talking about. An Alaska cruise on Princess is quite different from the "same" cruise on Carnival, and NCL's Alaska cruise is quite different from the "same" cruise on the other two lines. Difference in price, quality, experience on board, etc.

But hey, you're happy with your Carnival price? Go for it. Have a great cruise.

Carinval is a huge company owns Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises (Princess), Costa Cruises (Costa), Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, AIDA Cruises (AIDA), Cunard Line (Cunard), Ibero Cruises (Ibero), Ocean Village, P&O Cruises Australia and The Yachts of Seabourn (Seabourn).

With such a large set of similar and different ships/lines they strive to offer a certain image with the Carinval line. Some love it some hate it. I wonder if many who swear by other lines know that the buck for Princess and some of their other favorites stops in the same corner office as it does for Carnival.

Why some are more expensive or cheaper comes down to image, value. When you pay more many expect more, sometimes you get it sometimes what you get people don't feel its worth it or can't afford, and thus Carnival's popularity as they've priced the cruise and amenities just right for most. I have enjoyed my one time on Carnival but the style / theme wasn't to my liking that given an alternative I'd pay more even 200/person/cruise more, but I don't hate carnival in that if it had the right set of ports, I'd sail it.

There are a lot of differences which makes a cruise cost more, at least for me. I prefer to book a cruise that has less kids than Carnival, so I tend to go with the more expensive Celebrity. I also prefer a cruise that doesn't bombard me with endless announcements and all those pool games, a ship that's more relaxing and subdued, so I will go with Princess or Celebrity than Carnival or RCI. I also prefer higher quality food and better service, so I book Celebrity. Unless you can experience the different lines, and can compare and contrast the differences, you really cannot understand why some lines are more expensive. But those of us who have been fortunate enough to cruise on three or four different lines really can tell the differences between the lines that are cheaper and those that cost a bit more.

We tried Carnival many years ago and we were very happy. We went on an RCCL cruise and never booked any other line. This year we were looking for a cheap cruise back to Western caribbean for next summer. We saw a price online that was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper for a balcony cruise on Carnival than RCCL. I called our TA, who got the itinerary and was rather shocked at a $200 difference and thought I had found a great deal. He called a few hours later and said that the category on Carnival wasn't going to make me happy and he checked on comparable category. When the prices were checked against each other, we would have been paying about $16 more to cruise on RCCL. He said he loved the Carnival ships but knew how we were about our accomodations and wanted to make sure. As soon as I told the rest of the family, they were adamant that they wanted to stick with RCCL. Everyone has their own opinions as to what makes the cruise so special for their family. For us, we only get to cruise once per year and we know it will be special with RCCL and we will have a great time.

We tried Carnival many years ago and we were very happy. We went on an RCCL cruise and never booked any other line. This year we were looking for a cheap cruise back to Western caribbean for next summer. We saw a price online that was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper for a balcony cruise on Carnival than RCCL. I called our TA, who got the itinerary and was rather shocked at a $200 difference and thought I had found a great deal. He called a few hours later and said that the category on Carnival wasn't going to make me happy and he checked on comparable category. When the prices were checked against each other, we would have been paying about $16 more to cruise on RCCL. He said he loved the Carnival ships but knew how we were about our accomodations and wanted to make sure. As soon as I told the rest of the family, they were adamant that they wanted to stick with RCCL. Everyone has their own opinions as to what makes the cruise so special for their family. For us, we only get to cruise once per year and we know it will be special with RCCL and we will have a great time.

thank you, its the info i wanted,this is our first cruise,i just wanted a comparison from some one whos been there

I think until you actually experience a cruise, the "same cruise" but on different lines, you really don't know what you're talking about. An Alaska cruise on Princess is quite different from the "same" cruise on Carnival, and NCL's Alaska cruise is quite different from the "same" cruise on the other two lines. Difference in price, quality, experience on board, etc.

But hey, you're happy with your Carnival price? Go for it. Have a great cruise.

uppity...yes

they both may be to the caribbean, but usually the # of ports and the ports themselves are quite different. some ports i have seen offered, i would not want to go to. some have less stops. both of these can change the price of the cruise by this much. some ports charge more to stop etc. just one thought!

Archived