Saving Seats - Right or Wrong

Mr. Luckytoo

Is it acceptable to save seats in the theatre?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to save seats in the theatre?

• A. Sure it's first come and since they were there first.
    • B. If it's only for a few minutes I guess it's ok
    • C. As long as its for just those in your cabin its ok
    • D. No way - it's rude to the other cruisers

I'm wondering how people feel about this. When you're on a cruise ship is it acceptable to save seats in the theatre for others in your party?

Now I'm not talking about 5 minutes where one person goes to the restroom. What I'm talking about is where one person in the party goes to the theatre 30-40 minutes before the show and saves 4 or more seats.

How do you feel about this?

If one person wants to waste their time and sit around an empty theatre for 40 minutes it doesn't bother me if they save a few seats for the others in their party. Whole rows, no, but a few seats to ensure that everyone can sit together? No problem.

I'm wondering how people feel about this. When you're on a cruise ship is it acceptable to save seats in the theatre for others in your party?

Now I'm not talking about 5 minutes where one person goes to the restroom. What I'm talking about is where one person in the party goes to the theatre 30-40 minutes before the show and saves 4 or more seats.

How do you feel about this?

Didn't read your post before I answered and got entirely the wrong idea.

4 or more seats---no.

If you mean a husband saving a seat for his wife or vice versa or partners/companions, I don't have a problem. I wouldn't think it acceptible for someone to save a row of seats or even anything more than perhaps for two couples to sit together. More than that is inappropriate IMO

We rarely go to shows and if we do, we usually arrive after the show has begun. Never, on any cruise ship or line have we had difficulty finding 2 seats together. Maybe not the best seats in the house, but come on, the shows are only 45 minutes long and they really aren't all that great anyway. The one time we did have a close to the front row seat I wanted to leave so badly, the guy was laughable he was so bad. I felt like it would be rude to get up and leave so I had to suffer through the whole thing. We actually got quite a laugh out of it, since his last number was wrong on the part of the sound crew...just like Ashlee Simpson on SNL :D

Of course, the group of family/friends we cruise with don't try to stay joined at the hip, we sometimes have even seen some of them sitting across the theatre from us. No big deal.

It is annoying to approach a row of empty seats and have a person tell us the whole area is saved. But I'm not one to confront another person over something so trivial...I just go to another row.

Just to play devil's advocate here - is it okay for one person to hold it for the spouse and the two kids in the bathroom before the show? How would you know? I mean if saving one for the spouse is okay (and I'm sure the ones saying that have probably done it), why not for the little kids who can be distracted until just before the show? Please don't turn this question into - should kids be allowed - that is really not the point of the question. It's more like, how would you know and why is it then okay if its for one person and not the rest of the cabin/family? I haven't seen a show in years for a bunch of reasons, one is I don't think the little ones are up to it and also because I much more enjoy the sea at night from my balcony.

The one time we did have a close to the front row seat I wanted to leave so badly, the guy was laughable he was so bad. I felt like it would be rude to get up and leave so I had to suffer through the whole thing. We actually got quite a laugh out of it, since his last number was wrong on the part of the sound crew...just like Ashlee Simpson on SNL :D

Precisely why we sit waaaayyyy in the back. 9 times of of 10 we bolt after about 15 minutes. OTOH, my father's eyes aren't too great anymore and he needs a seat up front. Is anyone here going to complain if we save him or my mother a seat?

I prefer the new rule Princess uses: you may save one seat. Not one person saving multiple seats.

Where did this come from? Is it posted somewhere?? I'm hoping it is but doubt it will make any difference. Those that save rows of seats will anyway (just like chair-hogs).

Where did this come from? Is it posted somewhere?? I'm hoping it is but doubt it will make any difference. Those that save rows of seats will anyway (just like chair-hogs).
It was in all the Patters last month on the Emerald. Right next to show listing, every night. Did not have any trouble with seat savers, just trouble finding any empty seat in the smaller venues, they were packed. Theater was much easier to find a seat.

Just to play devil's advocate here - is it okay for one person to hold it for the spouse and the two kids in the bathroom before the show? How would you know? I mean if saving one for the spouse is okay (and I'm sure the ones saying that have probably done it), why not for the little kids who can be distracted until just before the show? Please don't turn this question into - should kids be allowed - that is really not the point of the question. It's more like, how would you know and why is it then okay if its for one person and not the rest of the cabin/family?

Was thinking the same thing. I guess Mom should be able to save 3~4 seats for dad and the kiddies.

DH and I always go to the show room together.

But since we go directly after dinner to get decent seats, we have to take turns going to the restroom to get ready for the show. So we save each other's seats. I have no problem with people saving a seat for their spouse.

But I do object to people saving an entire row of seats.

I think common sense and courtesy can answer this question. I traveled with a group of 20+ at one point and we all wanted to sit together at the various shows. When we were in the large theatres we would just pick a section off to the side where no one else was sitting and save a bunch of chairs. We didn't put anything on them to save them and for the most part no one even came near us. If someone did we would just ask them to move up a row or back a row and most people gladly did so as there were plenty of seats in that section of the theatre.

However I would not try this "front and center".

I think common sense and courtesy can answer this question. I traveled with a group of 20+ at one point and we all wanted to sit together at the various shows. When we were in the large theatres we would just pick a section off to the side where no one else was sitting and save a bunch of chairs. We didn't put anything on them to save them and for the most part no one even came near us. If someone did we would just ask them to move up a row or back a row and most people gladly did so as there were plenty of seats in that section of the theatre.

"Common sense and courtesy" (sadly too rare among cruisers) are the answer. As long as you do not prevent anyone from sitting where thedy want to sit, when they want to sit, there is no problem in a reasonable (and, yes, courteous) effort to reserve seats.

I traveled with a group of 20+ at one point and we all wanted to sit together at the various shows.

20 people "sitting together"?

I could not imagine finding 20 people on planet earth that would want to "sit together" at any kind of show.

Guess I learn something new every day, huh?

20 people "sitting together"?

I could not imagine finding 20 people on planet earth that would want to "sit together" at any kind of show.

Guess I learn something new every day, huh?

Because the seats are in rows, how is it possible to be "sitting together" with people who are more than one or two seats away? If it's a show, trying to communicate with anyone not immediately next to you would be really disruptive.

I do not think this is okay. Twenty PLUS seats with how many people present? How many minutes before the show started did you put a reserve on all those seats and how long until your whole group roamed into the theater?

Because the seats are in rows, how is it possible to be "sitting together" with people who are more than one or two seats away?

Ask the OP, not me.

Personally, when it comes to coordinating or being part of any group, I take "exit, stage left".

Archived