Cartagena and Barcelona on your own

Kokomo91165

Hi there,

Trying to save some $$ by not using the cruise ship excursions for these ports. I would like to do Cartagena and Barcelona on my own.

First off, can anyone list the MAJOR things to see in each city? I guess that is the most important thing for me.

Second, when the ship arrives in each port, will there be local vendors/guides who will offer city tours or hop on/off bus tours? I know sometimes going locally you can get a much better price than going through the cruise line.

Obviously, safety is my #1 concern, so I don't want recommendations that will endanger me or my family.

Thanks for the advice and information!

Barcelona is a large city with MANY things to see and do.

I don't know you or your family so it would be hard to make random suggestions. Why don't you tell us the ages of your children and/or who all is traveling??

You might also want to browse a book store to get info on ports in addition to what you find here.

There will be taxis at the port but I don't know if there will be "tour guides". Also Barcelona is quite easy to see on your own if you have some specific sites that interest you.

For example, if you have children interested in soccer they might like to tour the soccer stadium called Nou Camp. The Barcelona team is quite a good one!! The famous architect,Gaudi has many buildings here and the Park Guell would be a fun place for the whole family to visit.

Those are just 2 examples.

Hi there,

Trying to save some $$ by not using the cruise ship excursions for these ports. I would like to do Cartagena and Barcelona on my own.

First off, can anyone list the MAJOR things to see in each city? I guess that is the most important thing for me.

Second, when the ship arrives in each port, will there be local vendors/guides who will offer city tours or hop on/off bus tours? I know sometimes going locally you can get a much better price than going through the cruise line.

Obviously, safety is my #1 concern, so I don't want recommendations that will endanger me or my family.

Thanks for the advice and information!

In Barcelona it varies where you arrive:

if you arrive at Mol Adossat Terminal you take the Port Bus.

It's three 3 EUR per person (return ticket).

It will take you to the Columbus Column.

From here you find three different operators of HoHo-Bus Services

A information booth of the Tourist Information (which sells only tickets of one of the three operators...)

Starting point of harbour cruises

Walking distance to the rope car.

End of Gothic Quarter and La Rambla

Access to Subway (which is very safe and clean)

if you arrive at World Trade Center (smaller ships only) you can walk in 10 minutes to Columbus Column.

if you arrive at any other berth because you got a very busy day it's still walkable in about 20 minutes to Columbus Column.

Regards

HeinBloed

Barcelona:

Walking tour of the Barri Gothic (the old part of the city which includes the Cathederal of Barcelona, City Museum)

Picasso Museum

Sagrada Familia

Block of Discord

Parc Guell

La Ramblas walk

This is what we did recently. It was all on our own with no guides. We used a combination of taxis and metro to get around. It took us 2.5 days as we were there precruise as well as one cruise day. If you are only there one day, it really depends on what is of most interest to you and your family. We felt plenty safe doing all of these, however, I was "on my toes" for pickpockets particularly on La Ramblas.

Kirk

In Cartegena, we were met by local tourist guides, with maps and miniatures of Spanish brandy. The ship moors right by the promenade, so it's easy to walk from there into the centre of town. If you search on this site, you'll find good accounts of places visited within easy walking distance.

Jo.

I would do a walking tour of the city or a bike tour. I have heard good things about fat tire bikes. We went on both runner bean free tours bc we had time in the city and an infant and if she is screaming I did not feel like I wasted 50 euro pp on a tour! lol. She did just fine and I loved both tours. ALso, we enjoyed Park Guell a lot. It's a hike from the cruise stop though. I wuold take the dressanes metro, change lines at diaganol and go up to Lesseps. You will see the signs for the park from there. If you are short on time you can try an organized tour with barcelona day tours. They have good reviews.

Archived