Is it okay to wear white in Sept?

wannabetraveler

No sane person would ever call me a fashionista, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't remember seeing much white even in the middle of the summer.

I wear what I need to feel comfortable. Neat, clean, and respectful, but comfortable.

One thing that amazed me the first time I was in Italy was the fact that people were wearing leather coats when it was 80 degrees during the day. It was mid-October, and I guess since it was fall, they were wearing fall clothing, regardless of the weather.

Well, technically no.....since Italians do not celebrate Labor Day in September but rather on May 1. :D

However, as eurocruiser suggests, the Italians definitely follow the seasons in terms of clothing. If the calendar says fall, rest assured they will be dressed in their sweaters and wool pants, regardless of the actual expected temperature. At least, I have found this to be true in Rome and Florence.

There's probably more room for interpretation in places like the Amalfi Coast, which is more of a resort area. But in general, the Italians in cities aren't going to be wearing white at any time of year (well, maybe winter white.....;)).

Of course, odds are that a lot of the people you see will be tourists, especially if you are visiting the expected tourist sites. What they will be wearing is a whole 'nother story.

Okay, dumb question, but does the rule "do not wear white after Labor Day" also the rule of thumb for Italy?

never heard of this :)

Wear white whenever you like and enjoy your italian stay :)

benvenuta

I had to laugh when I read this. Just returned from Rome and a Western Mediterranean cruise. I am not a fashionista, either, but I try and look nice and coordinate my clothing and shoes, making sure everything "matches".

What I noticed was that tourists from all over the world are in Rome, and they wear what ever they want, regardless if it is in style, if it matches or if the color is right for the season. Truly, it is a hodgepodge.

I think a real "travel pro" is more interested in what is comfortable than what is fashionable. I seriously don't think wearing white after Labor Day would even cross anyone's mind.

If you are going to visit the Vatican and basilicas, be sure and observe their dress code requirements. Covered knees and shoulders. I was surprised at how many ladies were upset over not being allowed in with bare shoulders and short shorts. Really... did they not read anything or do any research prior to traveling?

More important than fashion is wearing some comfortable walking shoes. You will need them for the cobblestone and uneven streets.

Go and enjoy yourself and don't worry for one second about your attire. If you are clean, comfortable and presentable, that is all that matters.

Okay, dumb question, but does the rule "do not wear white after Labor Day" also the rule of thumb for Italy?

You asked a good question.

Yes, it would be perfectly fine to wear light clothing such as white both on the cruise ship and in port.

It will stil be quite warm in Italy.

Keith

Is it okay to wear white in Sept?

Yes; it's unlikely that anyone in Europe matches their outfit to the US Navy summer or winter uniform. That is where the tradition is said by some to have come from; before Labor Day the Navy wear whites, afterwards they wear, well, Navy.

It is not a tradition that transfers, in any way, to Europe so pack as much white as you wish.

It is worth noting that from this summer the Vatican decided to extend their minimum dress standard (no knees, no shoulders) across the entire of Vatican City. This means that anyone wanting to step into St Peter's Square only, rather than into St Peter's Basilica, must be suitably covered up.

Mands

Wear what colour you like in Italy .

However when in Hong Kong or China NEVER wear white or give a gift wrapped in white ; as white is associated with DEATH and FUNERALS in China . Red is the colour of joy and life in China .

Fashion rules aside, I might suggest that taking white isn't always practical when traveling. Perhaps I am just notoriously unlucky (or messy), but when I travel, I usually find myself doing things like climbing around dusty/sandy ruins in some ports and visiting cities where benches and other places to sit may be none to clean. Not to mention the inevitable tomato sauce on my shirt from pizza or pasta.......:o

I also am cruising the Med in September, including some pretty warm ports (Egypt, Israel, southern Turkey). I'm not taking any white, but instead am packing a lot of neutrals from light tan and khaki through darker brown and black.

Nobody will notice what you are wearing as long as you don't wear a halter top and short shorts!.That said,I never wear white when I travel as I try to pack light and get more then 1 day out of an outfit.If I wore white I am sure I would manage to dribble something down the front of me!!:D:D

In Italy,even in summer the women wear a lot of black and dark colors.If you stick with the neutrals and avoid really bright flashy colors you will fit right in unless you wear big white shoes. Big white shoes will give it away that you are American.Well I guess I'll take that back as there are many things that will give it away that you are American.Believe me there is no way at all to look like the Italian women.Tight,skinny dark jeans,short skirts,a scarf and 3 inch heels walking around on those cobblestones!! So elegant!I am sure I would break my ankle. I admire them but know I could never pull it off! So just relax and wear whatever you want and don't worry about it.There are tourists from everywhere in Italy and you will see everything!

I would be absolutely shocked to see wool in Italy this September!! It is in the 80s in Venice so I expect warmer temperatures in Rome and south.

As for wearing white, I wondered this too so did some googling. People in ITALY, not on a CC forum, said that people do wear white in Italy and in Europe, they wear white all year around. There is no fast rule about colors like we have here in the states...although not sure that rule is so fast anymore. The custom in the US occurred because the wealthy during the turn of the century (1900s) created rules for the newly created middle class who were moving upward. They did not want their dinner parties peppered with people who 'didn't know how to dress properly'. This is not a custom elsewhere.

Wool comes out when it gets chilly, not because of the calendar.

Wool comes out when it gets chilly, not because of the calendar.

I beg to differ, at least regarding Rome. I have been there many times during shoulder seasons -- (Fall, late Fall, early Spring). Romans dress for the season. I have seen wools, leather jackets, and high boots in October and March when temps were at least around 80, sometimes higher. It has nothing to do with made up American rules about when to wear or not wear white. It does have to do with a generally higher awareness of designer collections (which are presented for each season) and designer fashion.

Of course, no one expects tourists to dress the same way. If you see an Italian woman, she is likely heading to lunch with her friends or back to her (air-conditioned) office. She's not going to be walking around Rome all day touring the sights!

Cynthia and I have had the same experience in Rome - clothing appropriate to the season, not the actual weather. It really stumped me at first. I was there for a month (October) and had brought mostly warmer clothing with me, but wound up doing the laundry every two days or so and rewearing the same few lightweight outfits I had with me. Romans, on the other hand, were well into their fall wardrobes.

It wasn't until November, when I had moved to Venice, that the weather turned. And boy, when it turned, it went all the way.

Fashion rules aside, I might suggest that taking white isn't always practical when traveling. Perhaps I am just notoriously unlucky (or messy), but when I travel, I usually find myself doing things like climbing around dusty/sandy ruins in some ports and visiting cities where benches and other places to sit may be none to clean. Not to mention the inevitable tomato sauce on my shirt from pizza or pasta.......:o

I also am cruising the Med in September, including some pretty warm ports (Egypt, Israel, southern Turkey). I'm not taking any white, but instead am packing a lot of neutrals from light tan and khaki through darker brown and black.

Absolutely! The only colour rules are the ones from the fashion houses, who will declare that this season's colour is mulberry worn with grey.....!:rolleyes:

If you're a fashionista, then this will be vital news....other than that, the white rule is unheard of in Europe. We agree that you should look for what can be worn again- on an Interrail trip round Europe, I took only black, white and blue, so I could mix and match without looking filthy and egg-stained! Wear what you're comfortable in....the only tourists who stand out in my village are the ones who bulge out of what they're wearing.....

Jo.

Wow! We leave next week and because it still really feels like summer here 92 degrees today!), I was thinking sundresses and capri's for touring Italy. Better rethink my wardrobe before I start packing!

If you're really concerned about being fashionable just pack a few black t-shirts and other neutral colors to wear with your capris. Also a lightweight sweater in a darker neutral color to throw over your shoulders. And one or two fashionable scarves. European women have a sense of style that American just don't seem to have. They wear lots of accessories - scarves, necklaces, multiple bracelets - and of course, fabulous shoes!

Have a great cruise.

If you're really concerned about being fashionable just pack a few black t-shirts and other neutral colors to wear with your capris. Also a lightweight sweater in a darker neutral color to throw over your shoulders. And one or two fashionable scarves. European women have a sense of style that American just don't seem to have. They wear lots of accessories - scarves, necklaces, multiple bracelets - and of course, fabulous shoes!

Have a great cruise.

If it weren't for luggage restrictions, I would take a whole suitcase full of scarves, jewelry and especially shoes!! ;)

Depends if you intent to marry or not in September.

Although its usually a lie, I would still recommend to wear white for the wedding.

But most important !!!!! Never wear white for a funeral.

Or red for a toro corrida.

Or transparent clothing in the Vatican.

If it weren't for luggage restrictions, I would take a whole suitcase full of scarves, jewelry and especially shoes!! ;)

I am in Rome at the moment and there are lots of sales on here now. Leave your shoes at home and buy them when you get here!:)

Ok so don't feel bad.....this thought briefly crossed my mind for my sailing out of Venice in two weeks....then I thought about how dirty my BUTT would get if I ran around in white pants....ya not a pretty picture!

So I am leaving mine at home but will have tan pants with me for sure!

Happy cruising...

So glad you posted the question as I was wondering the same. We are going to be in Venice from the 9th through 11th and I did want to bring my white capris. I did pose the question to a couple of European friends and they felt at that time of year white would be appropriate and suggested that they didn't have the same thoughts about white after Labor Day like we do here in the US.

Archived