Is it true...

cptncrunch

That for all the cruises in december, the ruby princess will be decorated in a christmas theme..?:(
All the Princess ships have decorations, but IMO don't go too overboard about it. Mostly it is trees decorated with red and silver in each public place and restaurant, garlands on the atrium stairways and balconies. the Atrium typically has a gingerbread village, with maybe some Santa statues. Chistmas eve is an all out celebration, shipwide.

For one of our Christmas cruises, the Captain limited Christmas music until Dec 23, so we weren't innundated with seasonal songs. On another, earlier in December, we had Christmas music in public areas, so expect that to happen.

I think Princess tries to be in the season, but moderates the decorations to accomodate Jewish, secular, and Christian traditions.

Taking a cruise to get away from the Christmas season will not work, although one can have a great vacation without getting involved in the season. It all depends on what you bring with you as far as sensitivity, but that is typical of all cruises - what you get out of it depends on where you are personally and what you put into the vacation.

I hope you have a good one!

Ever think that not everyone who sails celebrates CHRISTmas.

No need to be sarcastic. I'm quite aware that not everyone celebrates Christmas. I have family members who do not celebrate Christmas. I think Princess actually does quite a nice job keeping the decorations secular as RickEk points out. On our Christmas cruises it has been trees, Santa, Gingerbread Houses etc. It's not like there are nativities around every corner. The religious observances onboard are limited to Christmas and Hannakuh services that are low key and available just for those interested. It's not that different from going to your neighborhood mall at that time of year.

I was just curious why the thought of that would make someone sad. I can see not being interested, but I was trying to understand why it would have a potentially negative impact on one's cruise. It's not like that atmosphere isn't everywhere you turn at that time of year. My apologies if I offended you somehow.

All the Princess ships have decorations, but IMO don't go too overboard about it. Mostly it is trees decorated with red and silver in each public place and restaurant, garlands on the atrium stairways and balconies. the Atrium typically has a gingerbread village, with maybe some Santa statues. Chistmas eve is an all out celebration, shipwide.

See the pictures below

898957973_00112_20.09Pursersdeskdeck6100_8336.jpg.2905a4bf361a967b68c57e07207001ff.jpg

805600169_00212_20.09HolidaydisplayinAtriumdeck5100_8335.jpg.d69c57782c5f2ff0286bd4fee6a7cc1b.jpg

1918073495_02012_20.09TreeDaVincidiningroomdeck5100_8371.jpg.cc68d13e2f06bd77dd8b9c3ed13728b1.jpg

568495741_02212_25.09SantainthePiazzadeck5101_8950.jpg.899ca3128f232e5ac9d7d94edf5384ac.jpg

We were on the holiday cruise sailing to Hawaii in 2005/06, which covered three holidays -- Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years. I don't celebrate Christmas, but it wasn't anything religious unless you wanted it to be. Onboard were retired clergy: a priest, reverend, and a rabbi, but going to any of the services were completely optional. The grand atrium was very decorated to the hilt (we boarded on the 22nd), and everything but the NY decorations were taken down on the 26th, including the pine cones on all the cabins' inboxes.

The one thing that was too much for me was all the Christmas music, even on the audio channels (the madrigal chorus in the atrium on the first day was singing a Hanukkah song). That stopped on the 26th or so. I didn't mind as all the radio stations and stores would be playing the same music anyway.

The best thing is that you don't have to worry about going anywhere and not finding a parking space. Or finding many people in a bad mood -- most people on the cruiseship would be in a vacation mode, one would hope.

This isn't an answer for the OP but i have a question about this thought i would just ask here instead of making a new thread for more or less the same thing.;)

I will be going on a cruise on the 8th of December on the dawn princess from reading this Thread i am of the understanding that there will be Christmas decorations up is this true.:confused:

Yes. Generally Princess decorates ships the first cruise after Thanksgiving, which is the 4th Thursday of November. The decorations stay up through Christmas. We've only taken one cruise that encompassed both Christmas and New Year's, and it was on a Celebrity ship. They started taking down the Christmas decorations during the cruise, and most were gone by New Year's Eve. That was why I think there's a chance Princess will do the same for the Ruby's cruise that leaves on Boxing Day.

We have done Christmas cruises from Dec 20-30 the past few years and all the Christmas decorations have stayed up through the entire cruise. Whether or not they ripped them down for the New Years cruise after we disembarked, I don't know. But, our experience has been that it stays Christmas-y even after the 25th is over. (Yes, even the holiday muzak remains.) :cool:

• 5 months later...

We don't celebrate Christmas, but we still really enjoy the decorations and the atmosphere of the ships during the holidays. This year we will be on for New Year's but not Christmas. Some cruises just Christmas and some years both. My huband is a school teacher so this is the best time for us to cruise and depending on which 2 weeks he is off is what determines what cruise we take.

Archived