7.4 earthquack today in Christchurch!

pj4jj

In plain English for a dill can someone please explain how to attach a photo . ?
Fundamentally, you need to know where the photo is on the web, ie its URL (web address). Click on the yellow square icon in the row above the text entry box where you type your post, and then copy the whole of the URL (including the "http://" bit) into the dialog box, and click OK. That should insert the correct code into your post.

Normality would be great right now. It's 12.45 am Tuesday and I've had 5 hours sleep since Friday. I was just drifting off into much needed sleep tonight when we were hit by two large aftershocks - 5.2 and 5.4. I'm really over this!

Chin up - but I can imagine that after experiencing over 100 largish aftershocks you are really getting a bit over it! And of course with the continual jolts more buildings are having issues. BIL aunt has just been told she had to move out of her house of 60 years, which on the surface seems reality undamaged.

I see that your North Island friends in the Hawkes Bay/ Wairarapa area have had a couple of jolts this morning too!

Take care and put your head down for a couple hours - thinking of you all.

Hi - I live in Christchurch and have to say this has been the most terrifying 24 hours of my life. I live alone so was petrified through the first quake and I am still very on edge with every aftershock (and every noise or creak!). The quake was bad enough but losing power just made it so scary. I also live right by the beach so I went with neighbours to find higher ground until we had the all clear and knew the quake was centered inland not out at sea. My home is fine (thankfully) but nearby there is very extensive damage to homes, streets and buildings in the city centre. We are blessed that the injuries were minimal and so far no deaths - I believe the time of day played a big part in that. Many people I know have severe damage to their homes - some of them are a write off!

Hang in there kiwigirl - the aftershocks will slow down in a few days. We are scheduled to arrive in Christchurch in January on our cruise, so I especially feel bad for everyone in your city. We survived the California Northridge earthquake several years ago. It was absolutely terrifying, but we rebuilt and moved on. We live with earthquake fears every day, so I understand what you are going through.

The state of emergency has been extended until next week.

Was so tired last night, slept through the two 5 plus quakes! But feel better today having had a decent sleep.

Kiwigirl ,hope you have managed to get some sleep, is your home OK?

The state of emergency has been extended until next week.

Was so tired last night, slept through the two 5 plus quakes! But feel better today having had a decent sleep.

Kiwigirl ,hope you have managed to get some sleep, is your home OK?

Glad you got some decent sleep erewhon. That is probably the biggest issue for most - Mayor Bob Parker and others look dreadful on TV, and sound tired on radio.

Keep safe.

I am really struggling with sleep - I hate night time - the darkness just terrifies me. I have moved my bed into the living room and sleep with the lights and TV on. I had about 2 hours last night so if I add that to the 5 hours I've had since Sunday it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sleep!

I am really struggling with sleep - I hate night time - the darkness just terrifies me. I have moved my bed into the living room and sleep with the lights and TV on. I had about 2 hours last night so if I add that to the 5 hours I've had since Sunday it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sleep!

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. :(

Please don't be afraid of the dark (when the earth shook, IT didn't know it was dark!) :o

When our Los Angeles earthquake hit, it was also around 4:35am. It sounded like a train was roaring through the house. Everything that wasn't nailed down broke. Drawers flew out of dressers and refrigerators moved into the middle of the kitchen. The worst is over. That 7.1 relieves a lot of stress, so now you need to deal with the aftershocks, which will slow down, so please know that your life will return to calm very soon.

When our Los Angeles earthquake hit, it was also around 4:35am. It sounded like a train was roaring through the house. Everything that wasn't nailed down broke. Drawers flew out of dressers and refrigerators moved into the middle of the kitchen. The worst is over. That 7.1 relieves a lot of stress, so now you need to deal with the aftershocks, which will slow down, so please know that your life will return to calm very soon.

Wish it was that easy - Christchurch has had about 280 aftershocks since the 4th! This might give you some idea http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Kiwigirl - I hope this internet is keeping you distracted a little.

Wish it was that easy - Christchurch has had about 280 aftershocks since the 4th! This might give you some idea http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Hope everything calms down soon. I can't imagine going through what you are. That website is amazing - someone can say "280 aftershocks" but it doesn't really hit home until you see an animation like that.

We'll be down your way in March 2012 - really looking forward to it.

It's hard to explain the emotional toll of a major earthquake. I lived 2 miles from the epicenter of Northridge Earthquake. So terrifying. You couldn't even walk or stand during the shaking and the noise was deafening. I actually slept in the car for a few nights and for a week after that went to stay where the aftershocks couldn't be felt - about 100 miles from home.

The feelings of fear pass but with each shake you don't know what is coming.

All that said, we are hoping to visit in November and have our fingers crossed that we can support just a little bit of the area's recovery.

Wow. We've experienced many earthquakes, but those are a lot of aftershocks. We are thicking about you, and hope that this agony ends soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind comments everyone. We are now at over 1000 aftershocks in the last 3 weeks! Seems so unreal. They are definitely getting less frequent but then we seem to get hit with a really bad night like last night. The AS weren't that big but were centered in the city so felt awful. I would give my right arm for 1 normal nights sleep.

Thanks for your kind comments everyone. We are now at over 1000 aftershocks in the last 3 weeks! Seems so unreal. They are definitely getting less frequent but then we seem to get hit with a really bad night like last night. The AS weren't that big but were centered in the city so felt awful. I would give my right arm for 1 normal nights sleep.

I was talking to 5 Kiwis today (on the train home here in Sydney) from Christchurch who flew out to Australia last Saturday and they were telling me that the after shocks, though only mild, they were still being felt when they left home.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. It has been a very long and tiring 6 weeks. I have forgotten what it is like to sleep through the night. Our city and it's people are strong though and we are holding up well. The aftershocks are definitely getting less frequent but they still come. Last night we had a magnitude 5. I am handling them a lot better than I did at the beginning - the anxiety is still there but not as intense. WE have a big concert in Hagley Park next week - a benefit concert. I'll be there - that's for sure!

Cruisin - I'm sure you will be just fine - they really aren't too bad - mostly notice them if you are sitting still. I think what makes them worse for us here is every rumble or creak reminds of the fear we felt through the big one and makes us hold our breath. The AS are not fun but should be even less frequent by the time you are here. I'm so looking forward to the big benefit concert in Hagley Park next weekend - should be a fantastic event!

I have just heard about the major aftershock today in Christchurch, hope all our Kiwi mates in Christchurch are okay.

Christchurch is such a lovely place and it is dreadful to hear about the earthquake and these aftershocks. Hope the aftershocks soon come to a end, as mother nature settles down.

It was good there was no cruise ships in Christchurch today!

Archived