LIVE from the FREEDOM of the SEAS, Sailing 5 Sep 2010

Trainman-2

WOW! I can’t believe I just stayed up until 1:00 in the morning reading over 400 posts on CC!

I just booked a ‘surprise’ 3-Oct cruise on the Freedom OTS to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and decided to log on to CC to see if anyone had recently posted any useful information about the ship and its itinerary. The funny part is that the wife and I arrived at a hotel in Charleston, SC tonight for a quick weekend getaway and once we settled in our room (about 10:00pm) I logged on to CC and found this thread.

Jim, my thoughts and prayers are with you. It’s obvious that Carol was a big part of your life and you shared so much together. My heart breaks for you

When I started reading your thread, I couldn’t keep the tears back. Then, I’d start grinning from ear to ear as I read about the people you met, the food you ate, the interesting pictures you posted and comments from some of your faithful followers. I even laughed out loud when I read the post referring to your BFO and then the closed ice cream stand. I thought it was going to be smooth sailing once I passed about the 200th post, not realizing there were more than 400. Then, you posted the pictures of “Carol’s last balcony” and the tears started again. What a emotional roller coaster!

Thank you so much for sharing this experience with all of us. May God bless you and keep youhappy and healthy in the years ahead.

Good Morning Trainman-

You are probably in the cafe enjoying your coffee as I type this which is my normal morning routine while on a cruse. I love love LOVE the Crocs, have several pair myself and they really are very comfortable. Once again, many thanks for bringing us alone on this journey. Enjoy the last day of your cruise and have a safe trip home!

Day 7, Saturday September 11, 2010

The Freedom of the Seas is At Sea Today

Good Morning Everyone,

A beautiful morning in the western Caribbean today. It is still dark outside but I can see thousands of stars from my balcony. The Freedom is headed into the wind so it is a bit blustery with a few scattered white caps on the waves.

Today is the last day of the cruise and it will be a busy day. Culinary opportunities abound!

Breakfast in the Windjammer

A Diamond & Diamond Plus Breakfast in the Deck 5 MDR at 9:30

Lunch in the Deck 3 MDR at Noon

Snacks in the Windjammer at 3:00 pm

Dinner in the Deck 3 MDR at 6:00 PM

I haven't seen the Moon from my balcony yet on this cruise. Tonight I may have to go out and look for it. I am sure it is still here somewhere.

I have always thought that RCI did a good job with the Pharaohs Palace decor. It is just a nice place and fun in the evenings and the Egyptian decor sets it off nicely. Carol and I both liked it!

DSCN0735.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg

The sound levels were nice too.

Carol and I always though the shows that the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers put on were too loud. It was like they thought louder would make them better.

Day 7, Saturday September 11, 2010

The Freedom of the Seas is At Sea Today

Good Morning Everyone,

A beautiful morning in the western Caribbean today. It is still dark outside but I can see thousands of stars from my balcony. The Freedom is headed into the wind so it is a bit blustery with a few scattered white caps on the waves.

Today is the last day of the cruise and it will be a busy day. Culinary opportunities abound!

Breakfast in the Windjammer

A Diamond & Diamond Plus Breakfast in the Deck 5 MDR at 9:30

Lunch in the Deck 3 MDR at Noon

Snacks in the Windjammer at 3:00 pm

Dinner in the Deck 3 MDR at 6:00 PM

I haven't seen the Moon from my balcony yet on this cruise. Tonight I may have to go out and look for it. I am sure it is still here somewhere.

Have a wonderful day!:)

I have one major criticism about this thread. It's going to end soon :(

Thank you, Jim, for sharing this emotional roller coaster ride with us, for allowing us to be part of your final goodbye to your beloved Carol. I hope our paths cross one day so I can tell personally what an impact you made on me and so many others. May the sun shine down on you and may your seas always be calm.

I have one major criticism about this thread. It's going to end soon :(

Thank you, Jim, for sharing this emotional roller coaster ride with us, for allowing us to be part of your final goodbye to your beloved Carol. I hope our paths cross one day so I can tell personally what an impact you made on me and so many others. May the sun shine down on you and may your seas always be calm.

And I will second that:):)...

Mr. Trainman-2,

I think I'll be more disappointed to see you leave the ship than if I were on the ship myself.

My family and I have admired your strength and honesty this past week, as well as your ability to find humor in so many things. We have learned some valuable life lessons that I'm sure you didn't intend to teach.

We are planning to celebrate our oldest sons high school graduation on the FOS next June. We will certianly think of you and Carol. We will also be holding each other closer to our hearts.

We have spent a lot of time this week talking about showing compassion and understanding to our fellow man. I believe if we all treated each other with the same feelings we've had for you, the world would be so much better.

You will continue to be in our prayers.

Carmen

This bar (with the white tower) was jumpin' when I got there and is still jumpin' as I type. I can hear the music well from my balcony.

DSCN0722.jpg

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place...

Trainman - We were on the same itinerary on The Liberty in June and your thread has brought back great memories. The bar at the pier in Cozumel is the 1/2 Senior Frogs. DW and I had an afternoon drink there before re-boarding. Watching the people who had obviously been there all day was quite entertaining. I'm surpised that some of them were even able to make it back the ship! My added thanks for such a great and moving LIVE thread.

Hi Jim -

I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your great pictures all week! I have giggled to myself and had tears brought to my eyes...you and Carol had a wonderful life and I hope those memories will bring you joy always. Thank you for taking us all along on your journey. We will sail on the Freedom next year and I will think of you :)

Safe travels home - I know your "Weiner" dogs will be so happy to see you!

Jim: Want to take this opportunity to once again thank you for both the tears and smiles you brought to our faces this week...DH would come home from work and the first thing he would ask was "how is and what did Jim do today" ;)...

Loved all your pictures and know that Carol is looking down at you with a huge smile on her face...Hope we do get to sail together in the future on the high seas & you would always be a welcome addition to our dining table :D...Thanks again for taking us along on your journey...Cheers, Jill & Dave too!