Should CCL Tell You a Group Will be on Your Cruise?

Molly BPOE

Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?

• Yes! I have a right to know and make an informed choice.
    • No! It is nobody's business what groups are on the ship.
    • I could care less who else is on the ship, I have a good time no matter what!

Yes, they should let you know. When you have 600 plus in one group on the ship, you should know how this may effect your vacation. It is the rest of the ships vacation too. Closed off areas that are normally public can upset passengers. Not to mention a huge group with vastly different lifestyle choices can also effect the rest of the passengers enjoyment.

I am guessing that they/Carnival are more afraid that they would not sell out the rooms if the were up front about a large group depending on what the group was.

I understand Cruising is a Public Venue, but when the ratio of what is "normal" is that out of balance. The rest of the population should be made aware of how it will effect them.

Given the choice, I'd cruise with a group of gays before a bunch of Tea Partiers, or Sarah Palin fanatics. Different strokes for different folks!

We were on the Valor in '08 with a HUGE convention of Spaniards; some sort of aftermarket auto parts thing. Rude, pushy, people everywhere! But that didn't bother me near as much as the sunbathing attire of the men from this group: Speedos, lots of bling, and at least 30 pounds too much flesh crammed into that tiny bit of fabric. My eyes are still burning...thank goodness we had a balcony to escape to! ;)

As a member of the Tea Party, I will try not to take offense;). That being said, a gay/lesbian group would not be an issue for me. I don't want to see groping and all out making out in public, but I feel that way regardless of whether the couple is homosexual or heterosexual.

I would say if it's going to effect the use of main areas for other passengers, then yes. I mean some people enjoy the shows, bands, etc. and may be put off if some of these areas were reserved for others exclusive use.

I would say yes if and only if the group and their slated activities would be disruptive to the rest of the passengers. But who gets to decide what or who is is disruptive? I dont know how that could be implemented fairly. Thats why in the end I gotta vote no.

My first (and only) cruise featured a group of swing dancers. There were rooms closed off just for them, but I didnt mind, it was fun to peek in the windows and watch them do their thing.

Given the choice, I'd cruise with a group of gays before a bunch of Tea Partiers, or Sarah Palin fanatics. Different strokes for different folks.

And I would rather cruise with a bunch of tea partiers, constitutionalists and libertarians than a bunch of liberals. Go figure. That is why I NEVER talk politics on a cruise. You would never know I was a conservative if you cruised with me.........I bet you have cruised with the very people you don't like and have actually liked them or never been bothered by them. Live and let Live. BTW - I have cruised with groups of gays and lesbians and had a wonderful time......despite our different views. People are people..........more alike than different and all worthy of respect.

And I would rather cruise with a bunch of tea partiers, constitutionalists and libertarians than a bunch of liberals. Go figure. That is why I NEVER talk politics on a cruise. You would never know I was a conservative if you cruised with me.........I bet you have cruised with the very people you don't like and have actually liked them or never been bothered by them. Live and let Live. BTW - I have cruised with groups of gays and lesbians and had a wonderful time......despite our different views. People are people..........more alike than different and all worthy of respect.

Well said.

Yes, they should let you know. When you have 600 plus in one group on the ship, you should know how this may effect your vacation. It is the rest of the ships vacation too. Closed off areas that are normally public can upset passengers. Not to mention a huge group with vastly different lifestyle choices can also effect the rest of the passengers enjoyment.

I am guessing that they/Carnival are more afraid that they would not sell out the rooms if the were up front about a large group depending on what the group was.

I understand Cruising is a Public Venue, but when the ratio of what is "normal" is that out of balance. The rest of the population should be made aware of how it will effect them.

I'm a little lost...What do you mean by different lifestyles and what is "normal" ??? Do you mean something like a Billy Graham crusade group ???

Everyone's already said that Carnival can't disclose groups due to legal issues, which is true and that's that. I personally don't think I'd care what group it was.

That said, I agree that if it was a large percentage of the ship and certain public areas or entertainments were off limits to non-group passengers I would be annoyed. Who wants to pay for a vacation only to be told "oh you can't use such and such bar or show b/c you're not with the group" when you get there? Not to mention I would feel like an outsider if it was most of the ship.

In this case Carnival SHOULD inform passengers that a large proportion of other passengers are with a group that will be exclusively using certain public venues througout the cruise (no need to say who the group is). Of course they don't b/c they might lose money. One option might be to offer a discount for non-group cruisers to book (even a small one would be fair due to the lowered level of available entertainment). Yes Carnival would lose some cash, however it might not be as much as they probably lose now paying out in OBC and the like for upset passengers. Just one idea.

I think it depends on the group, but then you get into who designates what`s offensive.

Assuming nudist cruises are charters, I would be avoiding religious groups, cross dressing. bear/lesbian. and Richard Simmons groups. simply because all within the group just can`t contain themselves to doing their "stuff" in their areas.

And if you`re a good Googler, you can find all this info online.

The only groups I have found, and choose to sail among, were those on dialysis, and a group of kid dancers.

they should tell you of groups and there is no way it would violate anybodys rights we did not ask for a list of names just size and type of group why did cc shut down the other trd. the amusment park here in ohio has thier queer (dont flame me ether they call themselves this queer eye for straight guy) day and they do not tell anybdy else so has made for some very upset parents. This is just lack of customer service to not be informed. thanks have a great cruise.:)

Gay Pride Day at CP is always on Fathers Day.

I don't think I would want to go on a cruise where ANY group comprised 20% or more of the passengers. Carnival would never disclose the name of groups booking their cruises. But they could tell perspective passengers that A group has booked 10% or 20% of rooms on the ship. It is interestin that Carnival banned the cougar group cruises.

I agree that if the group is going to cause certain venues to be closed to the general public that we should be told... We have paid to use the ship including those areas especially when it is a special bar like the piano bar...

That being said, I have a room set aside for an upcoming cruise for my group of 30 but only for 2 hrs in the afternoon as Carnival wouldnt rent it to us after 4pm. I dont think my little afternoon party in the lounge that is deserted until after dinner will bother anyone, but then again we are a small group.

On another upcoming cruise we have found out that we will be sailing with 1,000 hair stylists. That doesnt worry me too much except they will all look better than me :p I also dont see that we will be affected as they will have certain venues closed during the day for trainings but that will only leave open more deck chairs.:D Now if they close off all the good clubs for only their use then Yes I will be affected and I will be upset...

I to agree Taxed Enough Already!!

We have been lucky so far.....but I know the day is going to come when we end up on one of the annual Goth cruises or a Mascot cruise or a Clown cruise and our son with Autism will be forced to spend his entire cruise in the cabin.

Yes, this should be public information.

Interesting question. I would have said no, it's none of my business. Then I googled my upcoming cruise out of curiosity.

The day we come back starts a cruise called "HIV-Positive Gay Men's Cruise". The gay part doesn't bother me in the least, but I will admit the HIV-positive threw me. I don't have to make any decisions whether to cruise or how it would affect me because it's the cruise after me, but somehow this doesn't set well with me at first take.

I know you don't know the status of anyone you cruise with and I know the likelihood of contracting anything merely cruising with someone is highly unlikely, but I will admit that 600 HIV-positive people would have me uneasy.

Oh, and a high school senior cruise goes without saying...Yikes!:eek:

Interesting question. I would have said no, it's none of my business. Then I googled my upcoming cruise out of curiosity.

What did you put in for your search?

Just wondering because I tried it just to see how to do it so I could check mine and I didnt come up with anything...

The day we come back starts a cruise called "HIV-Positive Gay Men's Cruise". The gay part doesn't bother me in the least, but I will admit the HIV-positive threw me. I don't have to make any decisions whether to cruise or how it would affect me because it's the cruise after me, but somehow this doesn't set well with me at first take.

I know you don't know the status of anyone you cruise with and I know the likelihood of contracting anything merely cruising with someone is highly unlikely, but I will admit that 600 HIV-positive people would have me uneasy.

Are you kidding about "HIV-Positive Gay Men's Cruise"

As you know, we're on your cruise too. ;)

What you found wouldn't sit well with us either!

Archived