Should CCL Tell You a Group Will be on Your Cruise?

Molly BPOE

Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?

• Yes! I have a right to know and make an informed choice.
    • No! It is nobody's business what groups are on the ship.
    • I could care less who else is on the ship, I have a good time no matter what!

So far the family reunion types of groups have gotten on my nerves, so large groups would probably annoy me too. It seems as if these groups like to travel in packs and are essentially rolling roadblocks down the corridors. Back to the topic, if there is a certain percentage (don't know what number) of the ship that is booked by a group, I would want to know. This information would make me aware of what I am going into or allow me top select other options.

On three of our four cruises there has been a large group on the cruise which we were not part of. So far the only one that didn't have a group was our first cruise. The first was Clear Channel Radio, the second was Cruise Critic and the last one I don't know what it was other than they were in Purple shirts a lot. The of the group effected us in any way. They did their thing and we did ours. So I don't see where it would make a difference. If you feel you should know if there is a group than how big of a group. If a family of 31 is cruising together (like someone I know did) should you be told.

Our experience with this involved the large group which booked all of the speciality restaurants (not on Carnival) well ahead of availability to the "solo" passengers...leaving only very early bookings (6:00 or very late (10:00). Every night of the cruise....

In addition, lots of rooms and bars were off limits to the rest of us. So, it had a negative impact on our vacation. Worked great for the cruise line, but not for the rest of us. :(

Slightly off thread but... what is an open bar card and more importantly, how do I get one?:eek:

Groups ( I believe of 30 or more) can pay for an open bar card....but EVERYONE in the group must purchase it.

One place I read it was $40 PER DAY PER PERSON....another place I read it was $55 PER DAY PER PERSON....

FYI, cruisers do still have an option.

Should someone get on a cruise with a group that they are not comfortable with (for whatever reason).... they can exercise the Carnival Vacation Guarantee and fly home at the first port.

Given the choice, I'd cruise with a group of gays before a bunch of Tea Partiers, or Sarah Palin fanatics. Different strokes for different folks!

As a Tea Party supporter I hope you always have a choice! :D

The advertised venues available on-board a ship are a part of my decision process in deciding which cruise to take. Having those venues denied me because of any large group of any kind would not make me happy. I think a customer has the right to know he or she may not get all the venues advertised do to a large group. I think it is the customer's responsibility to ask and the cruise company's duty to tell!

OMG!! Whether I have had our family on our cruise or just my hubby and I , we have taught our children tolerance of other people and their choices, not to judge. Wish more people would do the same.

It seems there have been some legitimate complaints raised from past cruisers that found certain venues unavailable to them. Why couldn't CCL make it known if there is a group that exceeds 25% of the passengers booked on any particular sailing. Not the name of the group, just the fact that there is a group that will represent 30%, 40%, 50% etc. of passengers. How is that violating confidentiality?

This is exactly why Carnival doesn't disclose. People's prejudice might cause bookings to fall. Or even others to book specifically to cause trouble.

I don't like the idea of being with any excessively large group that causes venues to be closed for the group be it insurance salesman or teachers or nuns for all I care. But you can't always tell when a group will be a problem or not. We were on a sailing a few years ago with several hundred black gay & lesbian cruisers. Met some wonderful people and they were one of the nicest groups you could ever meet. But I'm sure lots of cruisers would decide not to sail with them simply out of ignorance or hatred when there was really no reason not to. On the other hand, a small club of about 30 or 40 doing their annual cruise with an open bar card were some of the most obnoxious and rude people I've ever met.

It was a great cruise... I think I was on the Liberty the same time you were on...

I voted that it doesn't make a difference to us whether or not Carnival tells their passengers that is a large group on board. We're usually in our own little world, and don't pay attention to what's going on around us when on board.

As long as the groups don't get "in my face" then I'm cool with them being on board.

this cant be about WHO the group is, as much as, HOW MANY AREAS WILL BE CLOSED TO ME, the public. Carnival should disclose this to us. this way, it should not be offensive or discriminating to anyone. and I am a proud Crewmember for the High Seas Rally biker cruise for dialisys, 2500 out of 3600 on the FOS last year, so I can see from both sides of the fence on this one....;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by C&THollings viewpost.gif

Yes, they should let you know. When you have 600 plus in one group on the ship, you should know how this may effect your vacation. It is the rest of the ships vacation too. Closed off areas that are normally public can upset passengers. Not to mention a huge group with vastly different lifestyle choices can also effect the rest of the passengers enjoyment.

I am guessing that they/Carnival are more afraid that they would not sell out the rooms if the were up front about a large group depending on what the group was.

I understand Cruising is a Public Venue, but when the ratio of what is "normal" is that out of balance. The rest of the population should be made aware of how it will effect them.

I'm a little lost...What do you mean by different lifestyles and what is "normal" ??? Do you mean something like a Billy Graham crusade group ???

Lifestyle choices vary for all, some may be offended by a group of gay/lesbians, while other by a large group of bible thumping church goers or kids on a Senior trip. All I am saying is a large group can effect each persons comfort zone of all in various way. We have a right to know.

My next cruise has a over 500 group that will offend my parents, they are from an older generation that just does not grasp the crazy ways of the world today. They are first time cruiser and now I feel may be the only time. If I had known, I would not have chosen this ship. My bad for not doing more research.

And to the person who mentioned the Carnival vacation guarantee, when choosing this option your vacation is still ruined, you may get your money back, but no vacation in return.

And to the person who mentioned the Carnival vacation guarantee, when choosing this option your vacation is still ruined, you may get your money back, but no vacation in return.

Of course, this option would affect some folks more than others.

For us, we cruise 7 times a year....so flying home vs our son's sanity...not a problem.

Of course, this option would affect some folks more than others.

For us, we cruise 7 times a year....so flying home vs our son's sanity...not a problem.

For us, a vacation of this type takes saving a least year or two for. This current vacation would not be happening if not for a company buy out and the old company paying out my banked vacation time. Not everyone has the ability to change plans at a whim or toss money out to sea. Some of us are on a budget even when it comes to vacations.

For us, a vacation of this type takes saving a least year or two for. This current vacation would not be happening if not for a company buy out and the old company paying out my banked vacation time. Not everyone has the ability to change plans at a whim or toss money out to sea. Some of us are on a budget even when it comes to vacations.

That's true.....but not everyone has a son with Autism and he comes first....

Narrow mindedness......;)

I suppose that in the end I lean to your side of the discussion that Carnival shouldn't disclose who is booked on a particular cruise.

Having said that, Carnival does have an obligation to disclose how a very large group will affect non-members use of ship facilities.

If a group has the ability,as an example, to pre-book steak house or excursions before others then this is not an example of

"Narrow mindedness...... " but nondisclosure on Carnivals part.

I suppose that in the end I lean to your side of the discussion that Carnival shouldn't disclose who is booked on a particular cruise.

Having said that, Carnival does have an obligation to disclose how a very large group will affect non-members use of ship facilities.

If a group has the ability,as an example, to pre-book steak house or excursions before others then this is not an example of

"Narrow mindedness...... " but nondisclosure on Carnivals part.

This is where I stand on it..if it is a group that is say over half of ship that will take a venue on a regular basis.

What I'd love..a Michael Jackson music cruise..said it enough around here..love him. Dancers, music, and moonwalk lessons may bug some people...

Alas I just had to trade in my Pink and purple hat..but I only went for a red Fedora...Hi Molly.

JOKE: What if all the nudists and swingers hog all the aft balconies!!!:p:D

Archived