Should CCL Tell You a Group Will be on Your Cruise?

Molly BPOE

Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?

• Yes! I have a right to know and make an informed choice.
    • No! It is nobody's business what groups are on the ship.
    • I could care less who else is on the ship, I have a good time no matter what!

This is where I stand on it..if it is a group that is say over half of ship that will take a venue on a regular basis.

What I'd love..a Michael Jackson music cruise..said it enough around here..love him. Dancers, music, and moonwalk lessons may bug some people...

Alas I just had to trade in my Pink and purple hat..but I only went for a red Fedora...Hi Molly.

JOKE: What if all the nudists and swingers hog all the aft balconies!!!:p:D

Hi Sarah,

The Red Hatters on our cruise were trying to get me to become a Pink Hatter...I was too young at the time...can't say that anymore:(

51 in Oct...it's all a state of mind...health aches and pains whatever have nothing to do with it..smiles..stck with sassy styles..only went to a few parties in OR..good poll Molly....as usual I see all sides..but did vote to be able to know...sjn.

For us, a vacation of this type takes saving a least year or two for. This current vacation would not be happening if not for a company buy out and the old company paying out my banked vacation time. Not everyone has the ability to change plans at a whim or toss money out to sea. Some of us are on a budget even when it comes to vacations.

That's true.....but not everyone has a son with Autism and he comes first....

Well, I'm in both boats here (so to speak). My child has autism as well and I have to scrimp and save to take her on a special vacation once every year or two. I would be horribly upset and angry if I had to opt into the Carnival guarantee because I wasn't made aware of a possible situation that would make her uncomfortable. And believe me, she would be equally upset and angry heading back home after getting so excited ...

Not really a feasible option in my books.

I found this link http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=349

Good information on some themed cruises in 2010 and 2011. If you want to avoid large groups, might want to check the different cruises, dates and ships listed there. On the other hand, some of them looked like they might be a lot of fun to join in. John Heald's Blog Cruise is one of those listed.

I wish the cruise lines would tell others when a large group is onboard. I have been on cruises where lounges were not available at night because a large group was using them. I don't think it's fair to all of us who have paid the cruise line to limit the availability of lounges where shows normally would be so that a group can use the room.

I have also heard that there are large groups that will all get early or late dining, whatever is their request. That again, to me, isn't fair to the rest of us.

I do believe that we will never be told this info, even if the cruise lines were able to give the info because it would mean that some people would opt not to cruise on that ship at that time. I know I would probably be one of them. It's not good business for the cruise lines. Even though they know they may lose some passengers after that cruise, the majority of passengers will still cruise the line again. Good business sense dictates the don't tell program.

I guess it doesn't matter to me what the large group would be, but I would still like to know and be able to choose if I still wanted to go on that cruise.

I definitely feel we should be told if there is a large group on board. Have been on 3 cruises that had "groups" on them - one a church group from all over the U.S. on Valor a few years ago, a CC group cruise on the Freedom a few years back, and a small soap opera fan group a few weeks ago on Glory. The Glory group was only about 250 people - no problem, except some of the lounges were closed for private functions for them a few times - no biggie. The Valor group had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds (and did I say hundreds) of people. They were very well behaved, but we felt very out of place for a number of reasons. (none to be mentioned here - no flaming, please!) I always google to check and see if it is a group cruise, and I would definitely avoid any cruise that had a large group on it. (that we weren't part of)

Well, I'm in both boats here (so to speak). My child has autism as well and I have to scrimp and save to take her on a special vacation once every year or two. I would be horribly upset and angry if I had to opt into the Carnival guarantee because I wasn't made aware of a possible situation that would make her uncomfortable. And believe me, she would be equally upset and angry heading back home after getting so excited ...

Not really a feasible option in my books.

This made me wonder.....

if we could list "groups" that we can't cruise with the Special Needs Department????? For us it would be groups that "dress up" in costume (which would not bother anyone else)..... I wonder if they could find out if there was a group that would interfere with our kids?????

something to think about....

as it is now, I just try to do my research and avoid the Star Trek, Goths, Renaissance etc....anything with excessive "costume".

We are doing good to deal with Funship Freddie....:D

Another question that I came up with is what is Carnival's responsibility when they have groups that have been excessively disruptive in the past and they allow them to book year after year?????

I happen to know one particular group that has gone as far as to be violent to other cruisers....etc....and yet, Carnival still allows them to book.

:confused:

My family was going to book our first cruise next March on the Royal Caribean Freedom of the Seas UNTIL I heard about a large group on that cruise called Thunder the the Tropics. This group of motorcycle enthusiasts had space reserved for 1700 people. Their website talks about private parties, "taking over" lounges, private seating for dinner, etc and some decidedly non-family activities. Now I realize that many fine upstanding citizens are bikers and that street gangs don't usually cruise, but this was enough to make me concerned and we looked for another option.

The good news was that this led us to the Dream and we are very excited about our cruise. Very relieved that I found out about this before we got on the ship and wished that I hadn't had to find out this on my own!

For the posters who have autistic kids...I too have a special needs kid. We have only taken him on one cruise and it was a nightmare for us and him. Now we plan a fun week for him with my parents (who he rarely gets to see and enjoys).

I do think you have a shot at talking to CCL about how certain groups could be potentially harmful to your child.

My DW is an (incredible) speech therapist specializing in children on the autism spectrum. The first thing she

would say is that parents are usually best suited to decide what their kids can and cannot handle.

The second is that "best practices" would dictate not putting the child in a situation which is bound

to be needlessly stressful. A cruise ,with or without, a large group may be so.

This made me wonder.....

if we could list "groups" that we can't cruise with the Special Needs Department????? For us it would be groups that "dress up" in costume (which would not bother anyone else)..... I wonder if they could find out if there was a group that would interfere with our kids?????

something to think about....

as it is now, I just try to do my research and avoid the Star Trek, Goths, Renaissance etc....anything with excessive "costume".

We are doing good to deal with Funship Freddie....:D

Another question that I came up with is what is Carnival's responsibility when they have groups that have been excessively disruptive in the past and they allow them to book year after year?????

I happen to know one particular group that has gone as far as to be violent to other cruisers....etc....and yet, Carnival still allows them to book.

:confused:

Now there is an interesting approach.....and maybe not such a privacy issue.

If you could list - as part of your profile - potential groups that might cause you - or your family - issues I wonder if Carnival would be able to tell you if you were attempting to book and a group that you have identified has already booked :confused:?? Especially - since you have disclosed the issue, rather than expecting Carnival to disclose it to you.;)

Still a problem though......I guess it would be harder to track - if they book after you - but at least if it were part of your profile it might help!

I do not expect to know anyone's particular name, but I picked my cruise date because I found out through postings here that a very large group of children (85 cabins) would be cruising on the date we really wanted to go.

We waited until after school started just so there wouldn't be a lot of children on the ship. I have raised my children and do not want to spend my vacation with children that may or may not be supervised.

this cant be about WHO the group is, as much as, HOW MANY AREAS WILL BE CLOSED TO ME, the public. Carnival should disclose this to us. this way, it should not be offensive or discriminating to anyone. and I am a proud Crewmember for the High Seas Rally biker cruise for dialisys, 2500 out of 3600 on the FOS last year, so I can see from both sides of the fence on this one....;)

With the exception of kids/teenagers, I don't think I want to know. I purposely vacation when I know that children are in school. Those little darlings are cute and adorable, but I don't really want kids on my vacay... As far as "groups", there are some mentioned above that I would not choose to vacation with if I knew that a very large group was aboard... however, my biggest concern would be: "How will this effect my cruise?". If I can't go to a certain bar, restaurant, place, on ship because I large group has booked these locations. I might want to know that before I cruise.

My family was going to book our first cruise next March on the Royal Caribean Freedom of the Seas UNTIL I heard about a large group on that cruise called Thunder the the Tropics. This group of motorcycle enthusiasts had space reserved for 1700 people. Their website talks about private parties, "taking over" lounges, private seating for dinner, etc and some decidedly non-family activities. Now I realize that many fine upstanding citizens are bikers and that street gangs don't usually cruise, but this was enough to make me concerned and we looked for another option.

The good news was that this led us to the Dream and we are very excited about our cruise. Very relieved that I found out about this before we got on the ship and wished that I hadn't had to find out this on my own!

So happy it worked out for you! I would like the ability (other than a google search) to know if large groups were cruising with me. I would like the ability to make an informed decision - I am not narrow minded. However, there are certain "groups" that I know we will have to agree to disagree. LOL!!!

For the posters who have autistic kids...I too have a special needs kid. We have only taken him on one cruise and it was a nightmare for us and him. Now we plan a fun week for him with my parents (who he rarely gets to see and enjoys).

I do think you have a shot at talking to CCL about how certain groups could be potentially harmful to your child.

I have truly enjoyed what has been written here Molly..from these poster's with special needs kids and pre-planning with Carnival..to me it's almost no different than an adult seeking lower key activities and spaces...seems like a fair question to be able to get ironed out.

Also so very happy that gluten free is becoming a larger and larger and therefore accomidated need..on a mainstream line...should have stuck with this 20 year ago when I tried for 6 mos..anyway..with our environment causing these issues..as research rolls along...we all need to have a place where a special needs kid can find a happy medium on a big ship..sjn...this has been a really good thread..supporting openmindedness and mutual enjoyment issues..getting along...BRAVO. sjn911

I have truly enjoyed what has been written here Molly..from these poster's with special needs kids and pre-planning with Carnival..to me it's almost no different than an adult seeking lower key activities and spaces...seems like a fair question to be able to get ironed out.

Also so very happy that gluten free is becoming a larger and larger and therefore accomidated need..on a mainstream line...should have stuck with this 20 year ago when I tried for 6 mos..anyway..with our environment causing these issues..as research rolls along...we all need to have a place where a special needs kid can find a happy medium on a big ship..sjn...this has been a really good thread..supporting openmindedness and mutual enjoyment issues..getting along...BRAVO. sjn911

Do you mind if I ask a personal question? Do you have Celiac Sprue?

I think that cruiselines should cap individual groups at a certain percentage unless they want to fully charter a ship so far in advance (maybe a year out). I also think that it should be in the group's contract that they cannot privately use public areas in a way that will be detrimental to other passengers. For example, a group privately using the public areas for private parties at times when there would normally be activities for all passengers would be forbidden and the group would have to work around the regualar scheduled ship activites. If the group doesn't like that and wants the freedom to use the public areas as they wish, they can charter a ship. No group should be allowed to think that they are the only passengers on that cruise and are entitled to special privileges in a way that effects everybody else.

My DW is an (incredible) speech therapist specializing in children on the autism spectrum. The first thing she

would say is that parents are usually best suited to decide what their kids can and cannot handle.

The second is that "best practices" would dictate not putting the child in a situation which is bound

to be needlessly stressful. A cruise ,with or without, a large group may be so.

Bless your wife for taking on such an honorable profession. I have great respect for any and all who work with special needs kids.

As you mentioned above, the parents do know best (or hopefully do) and as such will also know if their child can handle a vacation. I knew mine would be fine if she had a safe haven to retreat to - our cabin. I know her limits and I know when to withdraw her from a situation before it escalates. I see no reason to deny her a family vacation in a tropical location:D

I think that cruiselines should cap individual groups at a certain percentage unless they want to fully charter a ship so far in advance (maybe a year out)..... No group should be allowed to think that they are the only passengers on that cruise and are entitled to special privileges in a way that effects everybody else.

Agreed!

Do you mind if I ask a personal question? Do you have Celiac Sprue?

I do not think so..but a high sensitivity..and an old surgery I sure wouldn't mind talking to a couple nurses around about..first step is doing this no

wheat and hardly any dairy..mostly meat and veggies..then maybe some old pins form a surgery really are an issue:(...and lots of auto/ranch accident back neck chronic stuff...lovin my green exercise the core ball a simple help in pain..sjn.:)

:D

I think that cruiselines should cap individual groups at a certain percentage unless they want to fully charter a ship so far in advance (maybe a year out). I also think that it should be in the group's contract that they cannot privately use public areas in a way that will be detrimental to other passengers. For example, a group privately using the public areas for private parties at times when there would normally be activities for all passengers would be forbidden and the group would have to work around the regualar scheduled ship activites. If the group doesn't like that and wants the freedom to use the public areas as they wish, they can charter a ship. No group should be allowed to think that they are the only passengers on that cruise and are entitled to special privileges in a way that effects everybody else.

Any more on a certain freestyle group talk gets me in flame city..but I agree that certain groups with needs to use the venues more fully just need to charter..then there is the few that have to change plans but hopefully accomodations and considerations for bumped non-group people can be made.

I found this link http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=349

Good information on some themed cruises in 2010 and 2011. If you want to avoid large groups, might want to check the different cruises, dates and ships listed there. On the other hand, some of them looked like they might be a lot of fun to join in. John Heald's Blog Cruise is one of those listed.

another link to find theme cruises is: themecruisefinder

(put the www before and the dot com after)

I'm sailing the Valor on Jan 9 and will just miss a golden oldies theme cruise scheduled for Jan 16 on the Valor.

We were booked on a Princess group with about 800 "Bears Cruisers" and if I had known I woukd have canceled..just off the Elation with about 200 Home School group and would have canceled that one too if I had known........I booked then because I knew all kids should have been in school....Dennis

I do not think so..but a high sensitivity..and an old surgery I sure wouldn't mind talking to a couple nurses around about..first step is doing this no

wheat and hardly any dairy..mostly meat and veggies..then maybe some old pins form a surgery really are an issue:(...and lots of auto/ranch accident back neck chronic stuff...lovin my green exercise the core ball a simple help in pain..sjn.:)

Email me at my CC user name @ gmail.com I have a great cookie recipe that has no flour.

We were booked on a Princess group with about 800 "Bears Cruisers" and if I had known I woukd have canceled..just off the Elation with about 200 Home School group and would have canceled that one too if I had known........I booked then because I knew all kids should have been in school....Dennis

Codename "Grease Fire"

Archived