Should CCL Tell You a Group Will be on Your Cruise?

Molly BPOE

Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?

• Yes! I have a right to know and make an informed choice.
    • No! It is nobody's business what groups are on the ship.
    • I could care less who else is on the ship, I have a good time no matter what!

they should tell you of groups and there is no way it would violate anybodys rights we did not ask for a list of names just size and type of group why did cc shut down the other trd. the amusment park here in ohio has thier queer (dont flame me ether they call themselves this queer eye for straight guy) day and they do not tell anybdy else so has made for some very upset parents. This is just lack of customer service to not be informed. thanks have a great cruise.:)

You should realize that some of them are on this forum and might take offense to your derogatory use of such a term. Just saying....

well I guess I would want to know if the ship was full of gay groups and wished I had waited another week to book.

Why would you wait? They wouldn't be bothered by your presence.

Now that's funny.....

And I still say no on the "OP" question....

As a motorcycle riding, gay, tea party member, who loves to work out in the nude to “Sweating to bluegrass” by Richard Simmons, I just can’t understand why so many people are so bunched up over the whole group thing….maybe I need to be more open minded…

FYI, cruisers do still have an option.

Should someone get on a cruise with a group that they are not comfortable with (for whatever reason).... they can exercise the Carnival Vacation Guarantee and fly home at the first port.

exactly:D

your experience is what you make it.

Been thinking about this thread topic on "should" CCL tell you about groups. BUT why on earth would they?

What good could possibly come to them from sharing this info? To scare off paying customers

because they may have problems with a booked group - I don't think Carnival is going to do that.

I am sure as far as their customers go - ignorance is bliss.

Exactly! They need those rooms filled outside of a group with paying customers.

As a motorcycle riding, gay, tea party member, who loves to work out in the nude to “Sweating to bluegrass” by Richard Simmons, I just can’t understand why so many people are so bunched up over the whole group thing….maybe I need to be more open minded…

LOL:D.

exactly:D

your experience is what you make it.

Amen.

You should realize that some of them are on this forum and might take offense to your derogatory use of such a term. Just saying....

and what name would you use i still think of myself as a gay person which if people would just quit been so worried about such things gay means a very happy person. I have a niece who is of that persuasion and have no problem with them the big groups are just pushey and flaunt thier lifestyle to much.thanks for comment but i thought to make the comment first.:)

Given the choice, I'd cruise with a group of gays before a bunch of Tea Partiers, or Sarah Palin fanatics. Different strokes for different folks!

We were on the Valor in '08 with a HUGE convention of Spaniards; some sort of aftermarket auto parts thing. Rude, pushy, people everywhere! But that didn't bother me near as much as the sunbathing attire of the men from this group: Speedos, lots of bling, and at least 30 pounds too much flesh crammed into that tiny bit of fabric. My eyes are still burning...thank goodness we had a balcony to escape to! ;)

Hey Hey Hey..Watch the Speedo bashing:). I wear one myself, but i dont have to stuff 30lbs into mine..I have the body for one.

On our January 2010 cruise we sailed with a bunch of SANTA CLAUSES!!!!

YES I said Santa Clauses!!!!! Was so weird that people actually enjoy being a Santa Clause look alike all year round!!!! They did not bother us at all! It was just funny!

ALSO if there was a group on the ship that had open bar, WELL I think we all should be able to have the same option!!!!! Would be NO FAIR!!! I would be jealous!!!!!

On our January 2010 cruise we sailed with a bunch of SANTA CLAUSES!!!!

YES I said Santa Clauses!!!!! Was so weird that people actually enjoy being a Santa Clause look alike all year round!!!! They did not bother us at all! It was just funny!

ALSO if there was a group on the ship that had open bar, WELL I think we all should be able to have the same option!!!!! Would be NO FAIR!!! I would be jealous!!!!!

Actually there is a "group cruise" that anyone can book with that is an "open bar cruise" on Carnival.

Go to Groups Ahoy and but type in Open....

There are some groups that really would make a difference to me and probably stop me from ever using their ship again. One was the group we did thankfully find out about before going on a Princess cruise (which carnival owns) and we canceled - it was still about 8 months out. The group was only 300 people but getting bigger and had 8 more months to go. It was The Bears and the one that brings their own video person with them. Also they take over the back pool right where my cabin was. This would have been a very bad situation and very glad we found out ahead of time. Like I said most groups wouldn't bother us but would like to have the option to know they are there if we do want to cancel.

I would say if it's going to effect the use of main areas for other passengers, then yes. I mean some people enjoy the shows, bands, etc. and may be put off if some of these areas were reserved for others exclusive use.

Right, I totally agree with you. We have been on 3 CCL cruises with very large groups on them. They all took over the ship and lots of venues were closed to all but the groups. The discos, the piano bar on our first cruise and several bars. That is just not fair to the other cruisers.

The first cruise on the Triumph there were about 700 folks from a WWII navy ship......our Panama Canal cruise hosted a group of about 900 gay/lesbian cruisers.... and our Victory cruise had 800 polka national association accordian players.

The Victory was the only one that really truly bothered us, as we hit bad weather and the ship did not stop at 2 out of 3 ports....so for 5 straight days, out of the kindness of their hearts (being facetious here), there was accordian/polka dancing music and dancers EVERYWHERE filling in for the entertainment that never go on at the port stops. We stopped going to the lido deck and actually were glad to have a balcony cabin that we hardly left....it was really BAD BAD BAD!

Right, I totally agree with you. We have been on 3 CCL cruises with very large groups on them. They all took over the ship and lots of venues were closed to all but the groups. The discos, the piano bar on our first cruise and several bars. That is just not fair to the other cruisers.

The first cruise on the Triumph there were about 700 folks from a WWII navy ship......our Panama Canal cruise hosted a group of about 900 gay/lesbian cruisers.... and our Victory cruise had 800 polka national association accordian players.

The Victory was the only one that really truly bothered us, as we hit bad weather and the ship did not stop at 2 out of 3 ports....so for 5 straight days, out of the kindness of their hearts (being facetious here), there was accordian/polka dancing music and dancers EVERYWHERE filling in for the entertainment that never go on at the port stops. We stopped going to the lido deck and actually were glad to have a balcony cabin that we hardly left....it was really BAD BAD BAD!

Wow...I have to say the Polka Accordian players would have driven me nuts!

What happened to Carnival's policy on "musical instruments" not being allowed???

I agree that if the group is going to cause certain venues to be closed to the general public that we should be told... We have paid to use the ship including those areas especially when it is a special bar like the piano bar...

I also dont see that we will be affected as they will have certain venues closed during the day for trainings but that will only leave open more deck chairs.:D Now if they close off all the good clubs for only their use then Yes I will be affected and I will be upset...

My experiences: When we sailed on the Miracle in Nov 2008, the disco was closed on one night only in order to have a crew-only party there. We did not mind as we had 7 other nights to go to the disco. Besides, the ship is not just where the crew works; it is also where they live. Also, on this same cruise, there were 600 bingo players onboard. We realized this after we started seeing more than just a few people in the same T-shirts, with the same lanyards, and after we conversed with some of them. No big deal, as a lot of their events were on sea days in the afternoon. No problem finding a deck chair on those days.

With regard to the piano bar being closed for a group: I'm sure it would only be for one night of the cruise. When we were on the Freedom, the piano bar was closed for one night, not because of a group, but for reason that the piano bar singer had the night off because he would be performing sets on the pool deck all day. But, again, it was closed for only one night out of an 8-day cruise.

Lastly, when we were on the Legend there was some group cruise from some radio station in San Diego(I think). There were almost 1000 of them onboard, but I would never had known if it had not been for our neighbors in the cabin across the hall from us. They actually invitied us to one of their private parties in the lounge where karaoke was held. Their event was held at a time that did not impede the karaoke.

I am pretty open minded. However (and flame away) I would like to be notified if a large group of gay folks were on board. The simple reason is they can, do, and will get flamboyant. (or is it Flaming) And I for one do not have to deal with it all the time every place I go. I had a friend who had that happen and said it ruined everyone's time because of the behaviours!

I am pretty open minded. However (and flame away) I would like to be notified if a large group of gay folks were on board. The simple reason is they can, do, and will get flamboyant. (or is it Flaming) And I for one do not have to deal with it all the time every place I go. I had a friend who had that happen and said it ruined everyone's time because of the behaviours!

I think you're stereotyping. Can you explain what behaviours? Sex in the hallways or something? That would be a problem gay or straight.

I've never been able to understand why seeing a gay couple doing the same things acceptable in public for straight people bothers anyone else? I'm talking holding hands, dancing together type things.

Inappropriate behavior is inappropriate whatever your sexual orientation. The large gay group we sailed with several years ago you would have never known except for seeing various couples together enjoying their vacations - just like the rest of us.

I am still amazed that at this day in age there is still so much prejudice out there. It saddens me. :( Would you post the same thing about a group of a particular race or religion?

I think you're stereotyping. Can you explain what behaviours? Sex in the hallways or something? That would be a problem gay or straight.

I've never been able to understand why seeing a gay couple doing the same things acceptable in public for straight people bothers anyone else? I'm talking holding hands, dancing together type things.

Inappropriate behavior is inappropriate whatever your sexual orientation. The large gay group we sailed with several years ago you would have never known except for seeing various couples together enjoying their vacations - just like the rest of us.

I am still amazed that at this day in age there is still so much prejudice out there. It saddens me. :( Would you post the same thing about a group of a particular race or religion?

Well said, let's ease intolerance out the door.......

We have sailed with very large groups (local radio station w/600-900 people) and we've sailed by ourselves where we found ourselves on a cruise with large groups we were not part of. On the latter, if that group had a lounge or bar closed off we figured that is their right since that is what they paid for. We just found ourselves another area to go to and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

As for cruising during the months of May through August, never. That is when schools are out and the ships are full of hyper-active teenagers who are enjoying their vacation the only way they know. Staying up way past crewful and having fun.

Jocelyn,

It is still okay to be prejudiced in this day and age, you just have to be careful who it is against. For instance if someone posts about not wanting to cruise with a certain race or sexual orentation, they get flamed hard and fast.

BUT, if they don't want to cruise with a "bunch of Tea Party People" or "fatties that need to stay away from the buffet" or "disgusting smokers who shouldn't be allowed on the ship at all" (these quotes taken from past posts on other threads) no one gets up in arms. Bashing is still alive and well but it is only fashionable against certain groups.:(

Archived