Should CCL Tell You a Group Will be on Your Cruise?

Molly BPOE

Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?

• Yes! I have a right to know and make an informed choice.
    • No! It is nobody's business what groups are on the ship.
    • I could care less who else is on the ship, I have a good time no matter what!

When I called yesterday to get my price adjustment I mentioned to the CS person if there were any groups booked on my particular cruise and she said there was no way for her to check that.

I searched our cruise and date and nothing came up online but I would like to know from a booking rep that is the case.

Is there a popular time of year for large groups? Just wondering if some of the people who have sailed on several cruises which contained large groups is always the same time of year.

I don't think so...

there are a couple of websites like http://www.yourgroupsahoy.com/ that do a good job...but nothing is going to be 100%.

Oddly enough, the Parrothead website made the comment that Carnival was trying to get out of the large group business. They had their cruise March 2010 (as they have for years) but do not have one planned for 2011....and their statement about Carnival was one of the reasons they gave....

http://www.parrotheadcruise.com/

I don't think so...

there are a couple of websites like http://www.yourgroupsahoy.com/ that do a good job...but nothing is going to be 100%.

Oddly enough, the Parrothead website made the comment that Carnival was trying to get out of the large group business. They had their cruise March 2010 (as they have for years) but do not have one planned for 2011....and their statement about Carnival was one of the reasons they gave....

http://www.parrotheadcruise.com/

Hmm. Wonder if the HUGE groups are causing more complaints and they feel like they are losing more revenue than they are gaining from those groups?

There are groups of some type on every sailing out there. Group bookings are a great way for Carnival to fill a ship. But most of them are smaller and other cruisers might not even know they are there. Family reunions, school groups, etc. Even groups of a few hundred aren't that big considering the ship size. It's when you start closing off the main show lounge, or piano bar, or disco during hours they'd normally be available to the rest of the passengers you usually run into problems. I also think it's a small minority of groups that end up getting the pack mentality and taking over venues on their own. It happens, but isn't the norm.

I still think Carnival can't risk publicly disclosing groups as some of the posts on this thread show. Too much risk of lost bookings, and too much risk of a lawsuit if some other bunch booked to cause trouble with a group that wasn't otherwise publicly advertised. I do agree they should have a system in place through special needs as you have a very good reason to know that a group involving costumes could be onboard - even if they didn't tell you which group.

I've only ever had an issue with one group we sailed with and it was a small one that called themselves the Hashers. They didn't cause huge problems but were pretty rude and obnoxious which seems to be the whole idea of the group. I was on a shore excursion with a bunch of them and was completely embarrassed that our tour guide might see their behavior as typical American.

We were on the Valor out of Miami several years ago and there was a group of swingers on board. They had a method of identifying one another and as far as I know weren't soliciting participataion outside of their group so, live and let live. None of my business what they do in their cabins.

Two years ago we were on the Carnival Glory with our family. The swingers group were on board that ship. Most of the time during the day they were OK unless they had too many drinks. Unfortunately unknown to us we had the balcony cabin next door to the cabin they used for their swapping of partners. This cabin was noisy most of the night. We had to keep our balcony patio door shut to avoid hearing moans and other sounds. We tried to have our cabin moved but the ship was full. I agree let live if you are not offending others. We paid the extra for a balcony to be able to have our patio door open at night. I think large groups should be announced to booking passengers so they have a choice.

Two years ago we were on the Carnival Glory with our family. The swingers group were on board that ship. Most of the time during the day they were OK unless they had too many drinks. Unfortunately unknown to us we had the balcony cabin next door to the cabin they used for their swapping of partners. This cabin was noisy most of the night. We had to keep our balcony patio door shut to avoid hearing moans and other sounds. We tried to have our cabin moved but the ship was full. I agree let live if you are not offending others. We paid the extra for a balcony to be able to have our patio door open at night. I think large groups should be announced to booking passengers so they have a choice.

Sorry for your strange experience on the Glory. These swingers are not the sort of group that would ever show up as an organized group on any official list.

Any official list would include the 150 plumbers from Regina but not these swingers. In fact a couple (perhaps 4 ) swingers in the next cabin ,could ruin most

peoples cruise.

I don't care what the group is, just the numbers in the group.

I was on a 7 day cruise with a large group of about half the ship. It was a pain since every day half the ship was trying to eat breakfast and lunch at the same time. Breakfast was full of people who got up too late but were still trying to make their scheduled meetings. Complaining about how slow the waiters were etc. Didn't take me long to find out from someone what their schedule was and avoided eating breakfast and lunch during those times. Also avoided the halls where they were gathering waiting for their meetings to open. It was nice when they were all tucked in at the meetings, but stand by when they let out as it was like a wave of people coming out at you.

Given the choice, I'd cruise with a group of gays before a bunch of Tea Partiers, or Sarah Palin fanatics. Different strokes for different folks!

Exactly!! I met a gay male couple on a cruise who were sooooo much fun to hang out with and "party" with and I wish that I had met them sooner. They told me to check out the Friends of Dorothy gatherings on my cruises so that I can meet more cool cruisers, lol. And the best part: they gave me some really great fashion tips!!! :D

I really don't care who is on the ship. Technically, some of the CruiseCritic groups are HUGE and take over areas of the ship so none of us have a right to care.

Except Cross-Stitchers. There is no more immoral, incorrigible, intemperate, or inappropriately behaved group than folks who cross-stitch. You just can't trust them to behave themselves when out in public, alone or in groups.

Totally disagree. Should be ashamed of yourself! Everyone knows its the quilters who are bad news!

Actually it's the blue haired bingo junkies that you have to watch out for! Give em' a blotter and they are lethal!! Oooooh...scary stuff I tell you!

Thanks for making me snort out loud Jefe and richstowe!!!

Sorry for your strange experience on the Glory. These swingers are not the sort of group that would ever show up as an organized group on any official list.

Any official list would include the 150 plumbers from Regina but not these swingers. In fact a couple (perhaps 4 ) swingers in the next cabin ,could ruin most

peoples cruise.

Actually, they would...on Groups Ahoy...

Sail Date: 2010-10-29 Cruise Line: Carnival Ship: Imagination Destination: Bahamas Keyword: YOLO swingers Contact: Group ID: 991

Very large groups Yes we should be told, We were on the Freedom

with a large Bluegrass convention , EVERY night they put on

shows in the large lounge ,where normally the rock band played

but it was closed , Only one's allowed in were in the Bluegrass group

When it affects other passengers not in the group we SHOULD be told

we had a very large group on our last cruise and they ended up closing off areas like the disco and the main theater for the rest of the passengers. I didnt think that was right but I adjusted and would not have changed my cruise because of this

Actually, they would...on Groups Ahoy...

Sail Date: 2010-10-29 Cruise Line: Carnival Ship: Imagination Destination: Bahamas Keyword: YOLO swingers Contact: Group ID: 991

I bow to your greater experience but don't you have to self-list to be on such a web site? If you wish to announce your group publicly then others will know.

What if you don't put this info out in a way that a search of the internet brings up this info? I don't doubt you could find the info if you knew what you were looking for.

Just because the info is out doesn't mean non-members are going to find it.

I bow to your greater experience but don't you have to self-list to be on such a web site? If you wish to announce your group publicly then others will know.

What if you don't put this info out in a way that a search of the internet brings up this info? I don't doubt you could find the info if you knew what you were looking for.

Just google "dates for swingers cruises"..........

I originally said it didn't matter to me who was on the ship but then reading some of the posts made me reconsider a bit. If having the group will affect accessibility to all parts of the ship (for example, lounges closed to groups only), then I think you do need to be informed. It's like going to Epcot Center, paying full price, then finding out the big silver ball (whatever it is called) is closed for a private party! Did not make me happy!

I originally said it didn't matter to me who was on the ship but then reading some of the posts made me reconsider a bit. If having the group will affect accessibility to all parts of the ship (for example, lounges closed to groups only), then I think you do need to be informed. It's like going to Epcot Center, paying full price, then finding out the big silver ball (whatever it is called) is closed for a private party! Did not make me happy!

Normally (of course exceptions can happen) the "groups" take up spaces that are not being used as normal venues....for example...they may have the Aft lounge booked at 6PM (when no other normal cruise activities takes place).

On our Blogger's Cruise on the Dream, John wanted to have Blogger's karaoke and the only time available was at midnight so we would not interfere with any other normal cruise activities. (regular karaoke ended at 11:30pm)

Where large groups can be a hinderance is if they all want to eat at early or late dinner....which fills up the spaces available for others who may want to eat at the same time .... and now don't have the choice...since all the spots are taken.

Same thing with excursions...

it seems the biggest problem is IF they move as a "block"....(so do...some don't) And IF they move as a "block" to any normal cruise activities...it does not take many to overwhelm the venue ....

Just ran across it because I have about 3 websites that I check to avoid Star Trek, Goths or anyone dressed "in costume".

Used to be that as long as their faces were not covered...we were ok. But as our son ages, his phobia has intensified .... so now we have to avoid the pirates etc.....

I need to warn you about a group that is going to be on your Sept 18th cruise on the Fantasy.....

jessemon, they should be VERY afraid, shouldn't they !!! :D

Seriously....I am so jealous that you are going to be sailing with some of the best people in the world....and I am not....:(

I've been reading their posts and they seem like a fun group.

I've been reading their posts and they seem like a fun group.

They are a great bunch of folks. I have had the pleasure of sailing with them (as a group) once and members of their group several times!!!

(Hey Jessemon!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to vote yes people should be informed. The reason being is not that I'd have a problem with them but maybe they'd have a problem with me. I tend to live and let live but others, when they are in a group of fellow minded peers all of whom might have been drinking, might think they can say what they want.

I'd rather know up front so I could prepare myself or plan to sail at another time.

• 1 month later...

We had our wedding and it was a Goth themed Cruise - which we weren't told... this wouldn't have been bad, but their party was heard during our vows and cheering.

On the cruise itself, sections of the boat were blocked off each day for the Goth Party. On at least 3 nights we couldn't go for 24hr pizza because of the private function. It would have been nice to know in advance, or I feel Carnival should have had other options open to its' guests who weren't members of that group.

I am a little surprised at the voting. The ships are open to virtually anyone who pays. I dont' think it's anyone's business what groups are onboard. It's a risk you take. I do, however, disagree with otherwise public places being off limits to me because a group is having a function. I paid my cruise fare too.

I am a little surprised at the voting. The ships are open to virtually anyone who pays. I dont' think it's anyone's business what groups are onboard. It's a risk you take. I do, however, disagree with otherwise public places being off limits to me because a group is having a function. I paid my cruise fare too.

Of course it is my business when I plan my vacation......

Archived