Should CCL Tell You a Group Will be on Your Cruise?

Molly BPOE

Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should CCL tell you a large group will be on your cruise?

• Yes! I have a right to know and make an informed choice.
    • No! It is nobody's business what groups are on the ship.
    • I could care less who else is on the ship, I have a good time no matter what!

I think you're stereotyping. Can you explain what behaviours? Sex in the hallways or something? That would be a problem gay or straight.

I've never been able to understand why seeing a gay couple doing the same things acceptable in public for straight people bothers anyone else? I'm talking holding hands, dancing together type things.

Inappropriate behavior is inappropriate whatever your sexual orientation. The large gay group we sailed with several years ago you would have never known except for seeing various couples together enjoying their vacations - just like the rest of us.

I am still amazed that at this day in age there is still so much prejudice out there. It saddens me. :( Would you post the same thing about a group of a particular race or religion?

Allot of that "said behaviour" in gay groups usually happens in the Mens saunia/ steam room between gay guys. Ive walked in on a few at times.

Jocelyn,

It is still okay to be prejudiced in this day and age, you just have to be careful who it is against. For instance if someone posts about not wanting to cruise with a certain race or sexual orentation, they get flamed hard and fast.

BUT, if they don't want to cruise with a "bunch of Tea Party People" or "fatties that need to stay away from the buffet" or "disgusting smokers who shouldn't be allowed on the ship at all" (these quotes taken from past posts on other threads) no one gets up in arms. Bashing is still alive and well but it is only fashionable against certain groups.:(

Yep!

I think you're stereotyping. Can you explain what behaviours? Sex in the hallways or something? That would be a problem gay or straight.

I've never been able to understand why seeing a gay couple doing the same things acceptable in public for straight people bothers anyone else? I'm talking holding hands, dancing together type things.

Inappropriate behavior is inappropriate whatever your sexual orientation. The large gay group we sailed with several years ago you would have never known except for seeing various couples together enjoying their vacations - just like the rest of us.

I am still amazed that at this day in age there is still so much prejudice out there. It saddens me. :( Would you post the same thing about a group of a particular race or religion?

You don't have to understand.........

And so it goes (again).

An interesting and useful thread concerning the merits of Carnival's approach to dealing with large groups descends into intolerance and prejudice. I see the concept of mutual respect and etiquette has long disappeared.

I personally would prefer to travel with 500 Harley Davidson owners or 300 out of tune polka players and left-footed clog dancers than be stuck on a cruise ship with some of the narrow minded and bigoted posters here.

Oh and for my 2c worth, anyone who starts there post with "I'm pretty open minded - however....." is usually anything but.

Jocelyn,

It is still okay to be prejudiced in this day and age, you just have to be careful who it is against. For instance if someone posts about not wanting to cruise with a certain race or sexual orentation, they get flamed hard and fast.

BUT, if they don't want to cruise with a "bunch of Tea Party People" or "fatties that need to stay away from the buffet" or "disgusting smokers who shouldn't be allowed on the ship at all" (these quotes taken from past posts on other threads) no one gets up in arms. Bashing is still alive and well but it is only fashionable against certain groups.:(

Amen..now I just have to tell everyone about this...

The polka dancers made me think of being in PDX during a Squaredancers Convention..I loved it..they were dancing in the malls etc..

When I went to college..just a few years ago ahem:rolleyes:..the Football coach had a squaredance class he really made the football guys do..and lots of us did it..even me..it was hilareous trying to go under arms with some of the shorter stocky Hawaiian players..everyone had major laughs..this Coach said it was always something to do with your future wife..he had the major humor to pull it off...kids loved it..including me...and you know it isn't easy to catch those calls...

Move forward fifteen or so years to the Squaredancer's convention whom i just happened upon at a mall in PDX and where I was going to dinner...I had never seen the dresses and petticots...like long tutu's and fill wide circle..not my style but hey..not wrong..it has it's official look...but let me tell you standing at a 2 sink restroom washstand...inbetween the dresses makes one think the smaller ships could not handle the petticoat volume of about 8..4 squares:D:D.

Jocelyn,

Well said, let's ease ALL intolerance out the doors........I'd pay extra to be on a ship that has two groups with divergent viewpoints on board......say bikers vs. bankers, thinnies vs fatties, gays vs tea partiers, libs vs cons.....but their love of cruising gets them talking to each other and by the end of the cruise, they find out they have more in common than they have differences .......Oh yeah, I did go up in the 60's and still have some romanticized notions about society...........LOL

And so it goes (again).

An interesting and useful thread concerning the merits of Carnival's approach to dealing with large groups descends into intolerance and prejudice. I see the concept of mutual respect and etiquette has long disappeared.

I personally would prefer to travel with 500 Harley Davidson owners or 300 out of tune polka players and left-footed clog dancers than be stuck on a cruise ship with some of the narrow minded and bigoted posters here.

Oh and for my 2c worth, anyone who starts there post with "I'm pretty open minded - however....." is usually anything but.

What if they start with "some of my best friends are..."

Last year we sailed on the Fascination out of Jacksonville and there was a large group of Georgia Bulldog fans on board (250 people). I really enjoyed watching them party, but I did hear several people complaining about them. Seems they had open bar tickets and took advantage of it (rightly so). LOL Lots of tipsy Bulldog fans..........especially at night. LOL

I would cruise with them any day..........:)

Well said, let's ease ALL intolerance out the doors........I'd pay extra to be on a ship that has two groups with divergent viewpoints on board......say bikers vs. bankers, thinnies vs fatties, gays vs tea partiers, libs vs cons.....but their love of cruising gets them talking to each other and by the end of the cruise, they find out they have more in common than they have differences .......Oh yeah, I did go up in the 60's and still have some romanticized notions about society...........LOL

LoL...well said...

And around here I'm sure in the summer some of these "Harley" park visitors are bankers and bikers..there is no rule now as to their imagined group or "wild" lifestyle...when i'm not driving behind them..they just crack me up having the tme of ther lives..;):D.

And so it goes (again).

LOL! Where's your respect and etiquette:confused:

There are some groups that really would make a difference to me and probably stop me from ever using their ship again. One was the group we did thankfully find out about before going on a Princess cruise (which carnival owns) and we canceled - it was still about 8 months out. The group was only 300 people but getting bigger and had 8 more months to go. It was The Bears and the one that brings their own video person with them. Also they take over the back pool right where my cabin was. This would have been a very bad situation and very glad we found out ahead of time. Like I said most groups wouldn't bother us but would like to have the option to know they are there if we do want to cancel.

Bingo. Let folks do their thing (not that there's anything wrong with that) and I'll do mine. Tell me there's a themed cruise happening and then it's my choice to participate or not. That goes for Lions, Tigers, BEARS, or any other assorted animals or what ever else there are. Tell me, I'll decide what to do. I'm a big boy.

Bill

Allot of that "said behaviour" in gay groups usually happens in the Mens saunia/ steam room between gay guys. Ive walked in on a few at times.

No different than the straight couples you find getting busy in the hot tubs. If it's inappropriate behavior in a public place, then by all means get security and put a stop to it. I guess I'm just puzzled by the assumption that because someone is gay or sailing with a large group, they will automatically be participating in stuff like this. This kind of stuff happens with straight people, too, yet no one seems to be afraid of it. :confused:

Jocelyn,

You know that I wouldn't bash any of those groups, either. :) It doesn't matter to me what a person's size or political affiliation is. I can pretty much get along with most anyone until I see hatred involved. :( And I've certainly been victim myself of the "you smoke and are an evil person because of it" attitude. I guess my point in general (not to you) is that you can't sterotype any of these people and assume that a gay person is going to be openly engaging in some inappropriate activity in public just because of that - no more than you can assume that a heavy person is loading up at the buffet or that a person with different political ideas than mine wouldn't be a nice person to be around. ;)

You know that I wouldn't bash any of those groups, either. :) It doesn't matter to me what a person's size or political affiliation is. I can pretty much get along with most anyone until I see hatred involved. :( And I've certainly been victim myself of the "you smoke and are an evil person because of it" attitude. I guess my point in general (not to you) is that you can't sterotype any of these people and assume that a gay person is going to be openly engaging in some inappropriate activity in public just because of that - no more than you can assume that a heavy person is loading up at the buffet or that a person with different political ideas than mine wouldn't be a nice person to be around. ;)

Considering we are from opposite ends of the political scale AND considering I am looking forward to seeing you guys again...that post was not directed at you personally. :D

I just want to raise awareness that when people say words like tolerance or diversity, it applies to everyone.

And I didn't take anything you said personally, anyone who knows me knows I am not homophobic:)

Jocelyn,

could not agree more the board has way more people badmouthing kids then any other group but nobody gets on them. And the alternate lifestyle folks more in your face with thier lifestyle. might be they keep thier decision to themselves when at home and work so on vacation they dont worry so much about being open with others. JUST LIKE WE ALL KINDA LET OUR HAIR DOWN ON VACATION. ck the poll nos it says it all.:)

I just want to raise awareness that when people say words like tolerance or diversity, it applies to everyone.

Except Cross-Stitchers. There is no more immoral, incorrigible, intemperate, or inappropriately behaved group than folks who cross-stitch. You just can't trust them to behave themselves when out in public, alone or in groups.

Except Cross-Stitchers. There is no more immoral, incorrigible, intemperate, or inappropriately behaved group than folks who cross-stitch. You just can't trust them to behave themselves when out in public, alone or in groups.

Totally disagree. Should be ashamed of yourself! Everyone knows its the quilters who are bad news!

Thanks for the chuckle!:D

This made me wonder.....

if we could list "groups" that we can't cruise with the Special Needs Department????? For us it would be groups that "dress up" in costume (which would not bother anyone else)..... I wonder if they could find out if there was a group that would interfere with our kids?????

something to think about....

as it is now, I just try to do my research and avoid the Star Trek, Goths, Renaissance etc....anything with excessive "costume".

We are doing good to deal with Funship Freddie....:D

Another question that I came up with is what is Carnival's responsibility when they have groups that have been excessively disruptive in the past and they allow them to book year after year?????

I happen to know one particular group that has gone as far as to be violent to other cruisers....etc....and yet, Carnival still allows them to book.

:confused:

We were actually on the Glory in October 08 with the Goth cruisers. There were over 200 in their group. We knew before we went that they would be on the cruise, but didn't know that certain venues would be closed to us. As it turned out, many of their parties were very late at night, which meant that most of them were sleeping all the next day and we had more seating around the pool, on the Lido and all of the other venues during the day. I didn't see any of them pushing their lifestyle on anyone, and it made for some interesting people watching during the elegant nights. Wow, can they wear some outlandish clothing! It was actually quite a blast.

We were actually on the Glory in October 08 with the Goth cruisers. There were over 200 in their group. We knew before we went that they would be on the cruise, but didn't know that certain venues would be closed to us. As it turned out, many of their parties were very late at night, which meant that most of them were sleeping all the next day and we had more seating around the pool, on the Lido and all of the other venues during the day. I didn't see any of them pushing their lifestyle on anyone, and it made for some interesting people watching during the elegant nights. Wow, can they wear some outlandish clothing! It was actually quite a blast.

The poster was concered about cruising with a group like this because he has a special needs child that is eaisily scared by costumes. It can be frighenting for a child with autism.

It wouldn't bother me one iota if there was ANY large group on my sailing BUT I don't think I would be too happy if any of the venues were closed to the rest of us.

I have never sailed on a ship with a large group on (or if I have I certainly didn't notice lol). Out of interest, how come the venue gets closed to pax not in the group? Do they pay more than we do for this privilege?

The poster was concered about cruising with a group like this because he has a special needs child that is eaisily scared by costumes. It can be frighenting for a child with autism.

Yes Molly...it has taken years of dealing with Funship Freddie to get him to the point where he is fairly comfortable on the ship....as long as we know where Funship Freddie is at all times.

They send us Funship Freddie's schedule and make the staff aware that there is a child (well...19 now...but will always be my child) onboard that has a phobia to him. With Freddie's schedule in hand....we just stay away from where Freddie is going to be....

The Maitre ds also let us know the nights that the pirates etc come around or the dancer is at the Main Dining Room door taking pictures. He usually does not come to the Main Dining Room on those nights...he eats on Lido.

Of course we don't cruise close Halloween week...etc...

So far...so good!!!

Archived