Do you eat at the specialty restaurants?

vickie_bernie

Do you eat at any of the Specialty Restaurants  

374 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat at any of the Specialty Restaurants

• No
    • Sabatinis
    • Crown Grill
    • Both

We perfer Sabatinis but have eaten at the steak houses as well.

Our next cruise on the Sea Princess only has only the Crown Grill, best I can tell.

I can't remember what the per person price was for the Crown Grill. Does anyone know?

Thanks

We have never done the Crown Grill, we did Sterling's on Grand (outside watching MUTS). We really enjoyed Sabatini, but one time was enough for us. We have eaten buffet also.

It's not about dressing up or dressing down. It's about what's on the menu. Besides, I can never find a Cruise Critic "friend" to pay my way!!

Jim

Ditto here! I voted no. The dining room experience is fancy enough for me and I've never had a complaint about the menus or food. Why pay twice? I just can't imagine enjoying it that much. I'd be annoyed at paying for it the whole time I was trying to enjoy my meal.:eek:

Yes. On formal nights since we don't like to dress up. We don't like to eat dinner in the buffet so we just plan on eating in the specialty restaurants as part of our cruise experience.

So on formal nights, you don't have to dress formally for a specialty restaurant? I assume the dress code is smart casual. Hmmm, food for thought!

We have never tried one of the specialty restaurants - just seems strange to pay extra to get good food, as we assume we will get good food included in the price we already paid. However, we have heard good things about the specialty restaurants - so might give it a try one of these days!

We find that the specialty restaurants are great for a change of pace, especially on longer cruises. A totally different atmosphere and great menu choices. Yes the dining room is fine, but once in awhile we like something different. We aren't big Sabatinis fans, but we love the different steakhouses. ;)

So on formal nights, you don't have to dress formally for a specialty restaurant? I assume the dress code is smart casual. Hmmm, food for thought!

We have never tried one of the specialty restaurants - just seems strange to pay extra to get good food, as we assume we will get good food included in the price we already paid. However, we have heard good things about the specialty restaurants - so might give it a try one of these days!

Here are two places on the Princess website that explain their policy on smart casual clothing being appropriate on Formal Nights in the Specialty Restaurants.

1) Go to the Princess website at www.Princess.com

Highlight “Prepare For Your Cruise” by putting your curser over that tab.

From the drop down menu that appears click on “FAQ: Cruise Answer Place”

On the left hand side click on “Dining & Nightlife” under the Onboard section.

Scroll down to the “Casual Dining Venues” and click on the + sign.

It states the following:

“When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices – even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24-hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill, or 24-hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.”

2) Go to the Princess website at www.Princess.com

Highlight “Prepare For Your Cruise” by putting your curser over that tab.

From the drop down menu that appears click on “FAQ: Cruise Answer Place”

On the left hand side click on “Onboard Experience” under the Onboard section.

Click on the + sign next to “Onboard Atmosphere”

Read the first bullet point that again states that on Formal Nights the dress code should be observed in the Main Dining Room and Anytime Dining Rooms. Not included are the Specialty Restaurants. So Smart Casual is the dress code in the Specialty Restaurants, even on Formal Nights.

It states the following:

“When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.”

Have done both on the Emerald/Ruby. I wouldn't be upset if I didn't go to Sabatinis again. The CG did not really wow me but I will probably do it again. I just wish Princess' specialty dining was as good as on the M class ships of Celebrity.....

Bob

I don't understand the point of the specialty restaurants. Main Dining Room meals are very good and you've paid for it when you book. Dining elsewhere is a double hit - you don't get the meal you paid for and you pay extra for eating somewhere else.

Go into any restaurant on land and try to get the quality and quantity of food served in the specialty restaurants for $20 or less. It can't be done. so while you might not be sitting in the MDR, you certainly are being subsidized by it. It's the difference between good food and excellent food and it's certainly worth the price.

Go into any restaurant on land and try to get the quality and quantity of food served in the specialty restaurants for $20 or less. It can't be done. so while you might not be sitting in the MDR, you certainly are being subsidized by it. It's the difference between good food and excellent food and it's certainly worth the price.

Not quite. It's not $20 or less since you've already paid for a meal in the MDR that you're not getting. Figure in the actual cost of the meal you paid for in the MDR, add that to the price of the specialty restaurant and you're getting warmer.

I will agree with the person who said on a longer cruise it's a nice change of pace. Though I haven't done it I can agree in principal with the logic.

I have no desire to spend extra to eat at the specialty restrurant as I am quite happy with the MDR. Food is not an important part of the cruise for me, I am never hungry enough to clean my plate in the MDR!

I don't understand the point of the specialty restaurants. Main Dining Room meals are very good and you've paid for it when you book. Dining elsewhere is a double hit - you don't get the meal you paid for and you pay extra for eating somewhere else.

Never thought of it that way but you are absolutely correct.

The nominal fee for the specialty restaurants is not so nominal when you've paying twice to eat once! :rolleyes:

Archived