Port Canaveral, a sunny place for angry workers

belle19

what is the requirement for working there? You have to get up on the wrong side of the bed everyday and hate every one you see? My husband says he will not go back after our last cruise there last week. It isn't all of the the people there, we have found a few that seem to like people. For the most part they are very rude and have a chip on their shoulder. anyone else ever notice this or have a problem. I hope ft lauderdale isn't that way, we are headed out on osias next!

If you read the OP's past posts, she has cruised out of Port Canaveral several times, on both the Sovereign and Mariner, and has had no negative things to say.

I certainly would like to know what prompted this post!

I gotta say I'm glad to see all the positive remarks about the port. We will be leaving from there for the first time in a few weeks and was not sure what to expect. Since it's smaller than the others (I assume), I had hoped things would run smoothly. I'll expect the best and hopefully that's what we'll get! :)

I gotta say I'm glad to see all the positive remarks about the port. We will be leaving from there for the first time in a few weeks and was not sure what to expect. Since it's smaller than the others (I assume), I had hoped things would run smoothly. I'll expect the best and hopefully that's what we'll get! :)

We've sailed out of both PC and FLL, and I'll take PC on their worst day over FLL on their best day.

BTW, if the OP was on the 8/15 FOS cruise, she probably forgot to mention that PC ran a surprise emergency/security drill that morning that delayed about half the passengers from debarking for about 90 minutes, evacuated the shoreside buildings, required everyone who had to pick up luggage to re-enter through security, required everyone that had debarked but hadn't cleared customs to return to the ship and start all over again, and generally threw the entire debark/embark schedule into a tailspin. BTW, through all of that, everyone - from customs agents, to security to shoreside staff was completely professional and accommodating. I imagine by the time the OP got to check-in, they could have been a little frazzled from the events of that morning though.

I think I would have been pretty frazzled if that happened to me and I was trying to catch a flight out. :eek:

The only time we ever had an issue was when the porters in Miami were protesting. They would not allow us to take our luggage off the bus, nor would they. We were held up at least 30 minutes waiting to get off the bus. Pretty hot and sticky situation, inside and outside the bus.

Sheal

OP's experience might be related to a specific one-off event. We had zero problems at any of our embarkations, but we've only been on 4 cruises. I have to say though, out RC experience out of Miami was the nicest one. The check in counter staff all seemed to be older folks (retired?), and very friendly!

We always found them to nice at PC and we have sailed out of there at least 8 times. BUT, the last time we sailed out of there (about 2 years ago), the older man "manning" the line was rude and obnoxious. We tried to get on the priority line...and he yelled at us and told us we could only go there is we were Platinum or above!

All five of us ARE Platinum....but he didn't even ask or try to check. When I told him we were, he "harrummped" and begrudingly let us on the line!

There was also a security guard on the line outside the terminal, who was pretty rude, he even put his hands on my daughter (24 at the time) and pushed her through the door....he should have kept his hands to himself...

There was one other lady that was less than friendly...but the rest were fine. I must say, it was not a very positive way to start our cruise...but maybe they were just jealous that we were cruising and they weren't.;)

Since it's been 2 years, it may hae nothing to do withthe service there now, but we also ran into some less than friendly folks at Pt. Canaveral. The specifics were (1) I had a 12 pack of canned Pepsis, and the porter wouldn't let me leave it with a luggage tag on it. I put it in my carry-on and took it with me onboard. Everyone still seems to be able to do this and I've done it at other RCI ports, but he didn't even want to talk about it. (2) Clerk separated our party, which included my Mother in a wheelchair. My sister wound up trying to push my Mom's wheelchair and pull her carry-on up the ramp, without assistance. (3) My son-in-law, while getting our bags after customs, sat his nice bag with his nice bottle of liquor down, got told to move on by RCI staff, and he tried to take 2 steps back to get the bag and was told, "no way, keep moving." He didn't want to cause a scene, the guy wouldn't turn around and even look at him and since you don't want to be creating a problem at this point, he had to leave the bottle of liquor. This is AFTER customs, so it wasn't the customs agent. It was clearly sitting there and they knew it was his. It didn't ruin the cruise, but we listened to him moan and groan about that bottle during the entire 8 hour drive home!!

We are leaving this year, once again from Pt Canaveral because I think it was just a bad day.

Sailed on the Freedom out of Port Canaveral. From the hotel (Radisson) to boarding the ship, we had wonderful experiences! Would love to see more RCCL ships sail from there, we'd go again in a heartbeat!! Sorry you had a bad experience in such a nice place!

Never had problems with PC,FLL, Miami, Tampa or NYC, but if you got one with a bug up their butt they must have transferred from Los Angeles! HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE!! You can't walk out the doors of the terminal unless you hire a porter-Union rules! OK fine-but post it somewhere! Don't let myself and one child through the doors and keep my two youngest children and husband on the other side until we pay someone!! Ridiculous!

Just off the Monach Sept 10th. The tall older gentlemen with the crew cut manning the line for check in was not friendly, but rather rude and crabby! Everyone else was friendly.

That sounds like the same guy we ran into...:(

Never had problems with PC,FLL, Miami, Tampa or NYC, but if you got one with a bug up their butt they must have transferred from Los Angeles! HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE!! You can't walk out the doors of the terminal unless you hire a porter-Union rules! OK fine-but post it somewhere! Don't let myself and one child through the doors and keep my two youngest children and husband on the other side until we pay someone!! Ridiculous!

I have NEVER had this happen to me in Los Angeles. With the exception of the Round the Horn cruise, I have never used a porter in L.A., and none has ever bothered me.

I can't even picture what you are talking about.

Archived