Restaurant: Breakfast & Lunch?

Observer

In that case how can the club send the reply to me (see above) that the MDR is and will be open lunch and dinner :(

I can't answer that, but can tell you that my answer came from up top.

Host Dan

After much research in deciding between Seabourn and Silverseas for an appx. 30 day cruise experience, we chose the Sojourn for 32 days.

Now this company resorts to unannounced EXPERIMENTS on a value proposition that was marketed, sold and paid in full 90 days prior to embarking.

Perhaps you can "make it up as you go along" on the "fun" Carnival and Costa ferries , but don't believe cruisers in this luxury/loyal market segment will tolerate such surreptitious tactics by Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL), in which

IMO, leads to the path onto the "slippery slope". If this erosion of service levels continues, and time will tell, my advice would be a name change: from The Yachts of Seabourn to CARNIVAL-seabourn.

Sign me,

CARNIVALIZED :mad:

What about the triplets? Is the dining room closed there too? I am leaving Oct 16th. I do not imagine the weather being totally conducive to outdoor dining. There have been times in excellent weather when there were no interrior seats available. The venue is too small to accomodate everyone. While I generally eat at the buffet, there are times when it is wonderful to have lunch in the dining room. I like a leisurely lunch where one thing does not slop into the next. This is not RCL.

Here is the official word on the Restaurant situation. It is, indeed, closed for breakfast and lunch due to lack of use by the guests. This summer, restaurant attendance was closely monitored, and it appears that no more than an average 6 or 7 guests would attend breakfast and lunch in this venue. The waste of manpower, food and the lack of ambiance of an empty room has led Seabourn to EXPERIMENT this closure. That said, experiment is the operative word, as this policy is on a trial basis. Seabourn will be more than happy to re-open the Restaurant if guests will come and use it.

Host Dan

This is not what I wanted to hear (not blaming the messenger).

At the least I would have expected them to say that, with the main restaurant closing, they would experiment with offering an increased menu and table service in the Collonade.

They appear to have removed a major service and replaced it with---nothing.

My cruise is fully paid so I have no option but to go, but I am very unhappy that a major part of my reason for going with Seabourn has been taken away without any thought to my requirements.

I will, and expect others will seek assurances before paying the final balance of my cruise as to the availability of the MDR for breakfast and lunch:(:confused:

Too late for us...already paid in full and committed to the ancillary arrangements. Please update us on your efforts.

This is not what I wanted to hear (not blaming the messenger).

At the least I would have expected them to say that, with the main restaurant closing, they would experiment with offering an increased menu and table service in the Collonade.

They appear to have removed a major service and replaced it with---nothing.

My cruise is fully paid so I have no option but to go, but I am very unhappy that a major part of my reason for going with Seabourn has been taken away without any thought to my requirements.

The Collonade has an a la carte menu and full table service, and should not be confused with a RCI buffet.

Host Dan

Dan---- Respectfully, a self service line with other folks getting up and down and milling around is not equivalent to a restaurant setting, even if you can obtain a la carte service. How would all of the folks who have posted above like it if their preference were unexpectedly closed and now they had to eat in the DR?!?

We have just finished a Crystal cruise and there were many people enjoying lunch in both venues.

This will be a deal breaker for us.

The Collonade has an a la carte menu and full table service, and should not be confused with a RCI buffet.

Host Dan

I have eaten in the Collonade and while I agree it is a step up from RCI I still found it to be a fair bit below the main dining room.

I found the a la carte menu to be very limited in choice---I can recall there being a few main courses but are there starters and desserts that you can order to be served to you?.

I know that I only had one breakfast and one lunch in there and it was the lack of choice that moved me to the main dining room where I remained.

I think it would be helpful if someone could post a copy of the breakfast and lunch a la carte menus from the Collonade, maybe it's better than I remember---I certainly hope so as it seems that's where I'm having to go.

Dan---- Respectfully, a self service line with other folks getting up and down and milling around is not equivalent to a restaurant setting, even if you can obtain a la carte service. How would all of the folks who have posted above like it if their preference were unexpectedly closed and now they had to eat in the DR?!?

We have just finished a Crystal cruise and there were many people enjoying lunch in both venues.

This will be a deal breaker for us.

Well said..

Looking ahead, does anyone know if Silversea's Silver Spirit, (Odyssey/Sojourn competitor), main dining room, La Terazza (?), offers the three meal options or is limited to dinner also ?

There was an amusing series on UK television some years ago which had a catch phrase which seems appropriate here 'a bit of a cock-up on the catering front'!!

This debacle sounds even worse than the should we/shouldn't we have formal evenings. Please Seabourn get your act together between you and make a definitive announcement - you are now aware that there is a lot of annoyance at the idea of the dining rooms being closed at breakfast and lunch, and you have had a few helpful suggestions from Cruise Critic members. And apply your decision to all the ships.

That said, experiment is the operative word, as this policy is on a trial basis. Seabourn will be more than happy to re-open the Restaurant if guests will come and use it.

Host Dan

Exactly what is the experiment/ trial?

How will customers be made aware?

Is it on all ships?

How long will the experiment/ trial last ?

What are they measuring? ( experiments need results and an outcome)

When will results ( whatever they are) be reviewed?

What criteria will be used to inform Seabourns decision about the future operation of the Restaurant?

Will the results be made public?

Inept ?

PR disaster?

Here is the reply I just this minute received from Miami:

I have looked into this and the closure of the Restaurant for breakfast and lunch is an experiment that is being carefully monitored and measured. Many clients make the case themselves, by the comment that they never eat breakfast or lunch in the Restaurant. That is the issue we are attempting to address. The room was severely underutilized for those meals all summer (average 6-7 guests) . That means we staff up the galley and the wait-staff brigades, do all the mis en place preparation and then nobody comes. It is not a pleasant experience for the few who do show up to be dining in an empty room.

Our executive hotel staff are on this case very aggressively to solve it and present a solution that will please our guests, which is our only goal. Again, this is not a fait accompli--only a trial. By the way, the Colonnade does serve an a la carte menu for breakfast and luncheon as well as the very bountiful hot and cold buffet selections. The Colonnade wait-staff will always serve food at the table should guests not wish to go to the various stations themselves. As you know, they are always looking for a way to make the guests feel special, and if any guest sat down and asked to be served a salad or anything I am certain that the waiters would oblige.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,

Have a wonderful day.

Just received the same reply from Seabourn...and as Host Dan had similarly posted. My original reply two days ago from the Club was that the Restaurant was fully open. So I appreciate the more correct and detailed follow-up e-mail from the Club and surmise that this issue is getting the scrutiny it deserves.

I received a phone call last Sat. from a friend aboard the Sojourn. She related that it's been very cold in & a'round the Baltics lately ~she usually has lunch at the Deck 8 Sky Grille but the weather has been too chilly to dine there (she even said that the Sky Bar closed early some days) I guess if the restaurant was closed for lunch, there was only the Colonade ~ or room service.

I dine in the restaurant for lunch most everyday as others have posted ~ what a huge disappointment for many sailing now on the Odyssey and the Sojourn!

Martita B.

Here is the reply I just this minute received from Miami:

I have looked into this and the closure of the Restaurant for breakfast and lunch is an experiment that is being carefully monitored and measured. Many clients make the case themselves, by the comment that they never eat breakfast or lunch in the Restaurant. It is not a pleasant experience for the few who do show up to be dining in an empty room.

I launched this thread with the expectation that the response would be that the closure was unique to brief, highly port-intensive cruises. I cannot imagine what Seabourn is thinking. It may be precisely because passengers want a quiet, empty dining room (rather than a crowded buffet) that they elect the Restaurant. It is for the passengers, not for Seabourn, to determine what is "a pleasant experience."

I know that CC posters can go on and on about the most (to me) trivial matters. I may have done so myself.

However, forcing all passengers into the buffet seems to me to be a step too far. Moreover, if (as another poster suggested) the Restaurant galley is functioning for room service, is it that much added expense to throw in a couple of waiters for Restaurant dining?

Just a thought. Go to the Seabourn website and look under dining.

Header - "Dining experiences defined by choice"

Later - " Enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner in one of our traditional restaurants"

And finally - "No matter what your dining pleasure, Seabourn's award- winning staff is ( sic) there for you-when you want... with what you want"

If you book with Seabourn these are your expectations.

If these are not delivered ( except in force majeur) are they in breach of contract?

And incidentally, the Seabourn blog says nothing about the new dining policy.

We often eat lunch in the Restaurant, and will be disappointed if we cannot on our 23-day Sojourn cruise in October. If the Restaurant is closed, how can anyone judge how many people would eat there? In my experience there is a group of the same people who eat lunch in the Restaurant and it is always a nice quite time. Even on large non-luxury lines, the main restaurant is open for lunch on sea days. I will discuss this with the hotel manager and others when I am onboard, although it may be too late for this cruise. If anyone has any ideas about who to discuss this with before then, please let me know.

Merril

Archived