Restaurant: Breakfast & Lunch?

Observer

The interesting exchanges on this thread appear to have drifted somewhat off topic which was current and future availability of the MDR for breakfast and lunch. So far we have no definitive information from Seabourn about their plans despite Host Dan's requests.

I wonder if Dan would be kind enough to try again. Seabourn's silence on this topic is making me nervous about what plans they may have in store. And I would like to know before committing big bucks to a future cruise. From earlier posts on this thread and others, I guess others are interested also.

So Dan, over to you again please if you could be so kind.

The interesting exchanges on this thread appear to have drifted somewhat off topic which was current and future availability of the MDR for breakfast and lunch. So far we have no definitive information from Seabourn about their plans despite Host Dan's requests.

I wonder if Dan would be kind enough to try again. Seabourn's silence on this topic is making me nervous about what plans they may have in store. And I would like to know before committing big bucks to a future cruise. From earlier posts on this thread and others, I guess others are interested also.

So Dan, over to you again please if you could be so kind.

Dan has tried..I suggest that you call SB and expain that prior to another booking you would like to speak to someone who knows...or....you like writing..contact Pam Conover.

Jaffa,

Unfortunately, I don't think you will ever see a return to the way it was. As of June SB will need to fill six ships, three of them larger ones, and the only way to do that is to attract a new, younger demographic who will not pay the rates you suggest. That is why you will continue to see shorter cruises during the summer months. And in order to make money certain things have to be cut. All in all, SB is still a great product. I think we have to let go of the memories we made and look forward to the ones we'll make in the future. No luxury line is what is was ten to fifteen years ago.

Jaffa,

Unfortunately, I don't think you will ever see a return to the way it was. As of June SB will need to fill six ships, three of them larger ones, and the only way to do that is to attract a new, younger demographic who will not pay the rates you suggest. That is why you will continue to see shorter cruises during the summer months. And in order to make money certain things have to be cut. All in all, SB is still a great product. I think we have to let go of the memories we made and look forward to the ones we'll make in the future. No luxury line is what is was ten to fifteen years ago.

Seabourn must be doing something right. They are the only cruise line listed in November's Conde Nast "Best in the World 2010" top 100 travel destinations at number 90. Also they are listed #1 as the World's Best small ship cruise line (499 passengers or less)with a score of 93.4, amost 4 points higher than the number 2 choice.

Seabourn will be more than happy to re-open the Restaurant if guests will come and use it.

Host Dan

Thank you host Dan,

How can the guests "come and use it" when it is closed? Other than perhaps complain that it should be open?

Thank you host Dan,

How can the guests "come and use it" when it is closed? Other than perhaps complain that it should be open?

That's a very good question that has been asked before. I'm just quoting the Seabourn rep. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Host Dan

That's a very good question that has been asked before. I'm just quoting the Seabourn rep. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Host Dan

Dan. You are being joined by a large number of CC colleagues on your upcoming Caribbean cruise in December. Together you will have some leverage with Seabourn and will be meeting Senior Officers.

So, just a thought -

If the MDR is closed for breakfast and lunch, you could start a " class action" by asking for the MDR to be opened. You could quote your Seabourn rep contact.

Of course it would need to be done in a non confrontational way ( no problem given the wealth of talent on board). And naturally only if there was a wish among passengers to use the MDR.

Dan. You are being joined by a large number of CC colleagues on your upcoming Caribbean cruise in December. Together you will have some leverage with Seabourn and will be meeting Senior Officers.

So, just a thought -

If the MDR is closed for breakfast and lunch, you could start a " class action" by asking for the MDR to be opened. You could quote your Seabourn rep contact.

Of course it would need to be done in a non confrontational way ( no problem given the wealth of talent on board). And naturally only if there was a wish among passengers to use the MDR.

Good idea, but as far as I know, Sojourn is not part of the "experiment".

Host Dan

We were a week on the Odyssey Oct 9-16 2010. MDR was closed all port days, but opened when at sea.

Whether this is a general policy or not, I don't know.

Carsten

P.S. Regarding the off subject discussion about drop in quality, yes you can feel the budget managers getting their reductions here and there. Small things, but for us old-timers we do notice them. Previously, we always got a little more than expected, now it is a little less.

i did complain rather seriously but polite - i did not curse - by letter during my cruise both to the guest relations officer and to the hotel manager during my cruise

simply NO reply at all. :mad:

...and you probably wont. Over a year ago I drafted a professional letter on my computer, printed it out and took the time and effort to snail mail it (not email) to Conover at Blue Lagoon Drive. Never heard a word back. I had also furnished my email address and phone number just in case - but nothing. Very poor customer service on her part and seems to be the away all Seabourn is heading these days.

Archived