Tell me about the Ryndam...

kent4489

We're considering a mid-November cruise on the Ryndam Caribbean). I would like to hear comments (good or not) from those familiar with the ship.

We also considered the Nieuw Amsterdam, but think we would prefer the size of the Ryndam.

Our previous cruises have been on the Zaandam, Amsterdam and earlier this year on the Eurodam. (Our favorite things on the Eurodam were dancing in the Ocean Bar and the Retreat Cabana. I realize the Ryndam doesn't have a Retreat, but how's the dancing on her?)

Also, I'm thinking since this is the week before Thanksgiving week, there should be few if any children??? Any thought on this?

Thanks for any input!

Our previous cruises have been on the Zaandam, Amsterdam and earlier this year on the Eurodam. (Our favorite things on the Eurodam were dancing in the Ocean Bar and the Retreat Cabana. I realize the Ryndam doesn't have a Retreat, but how's the dancing on her?)

My best cruise ever was on the Ryndam, but that was quite a few years ago. Can't say if it's still the same.

I can say that the Ocean Bar will have the same sort of dance music as you found in the E-dam's Ocean Bar. That's pretty standard across the fleet.

Since you've sailed on the Zaandam and Amsterdam, you would find the Ryndam very familiar. There are a few things that are different, but essentially the Ryndam has the same deck plan as the two R-class ships.

The Ryndam was my first cruise ship and was amazing in every way. We liked it so much we booked again for the next season on Ryndam as well. The crowsnest was great for dancing (not that I dance) and live music. We missed the crowsnest when we were on the Eurodam (didn't like the Northern Lights). I think you will really like the Ryndam, and as mentioned you will find it familiar having been on R-Class ships.

The Ryndam has a very special place in our memories. Been on her twice, once as my first HAL cruise 16 some years ago and then on our honeymoon a few years later. We really like the smaller R and S class ships and their more intimate feeling. While our favorite is probably the Volendam that's really not a negative statement about the Ryndam. We'd sail her again without reservation.

of the various HAL ships we've experienced, the Ryndam is our favorite so far. Our cruise last December had some *bumps*, but none were because of the ship nor detracted from our enjoyment of the ship, and we both agreed that it was our most relaxing cruise, ever. So much so that we've booked another cruise aboard her, apparently the week that you're considering. We're anxious to see how she is post-*facelift*. :) Plus, you can't beat sailing out of Tampa--what a breeze compared to Port Everglades!

My husband and I just finished a cruise on the Ryndam - southbound from Alaska to Vancouver. Had an absolutely wonderful time! Two venues for dancing - the Ocean Bar and the Crow's Nest. We are relatively new to dancing, and rather shy still. Found the live music sometimes absent when expected at the Ocean Bar, and the DJ's choices in the Crow's Nest a challenge. There were a few couples who really made it all work - and we are certainly looking forward to our NEXT cruise, when we can count ourselves among them!

My DH and I sailed on the Ryndam last Nov. and liked her so much that we are going again this Nov., GW. We also love the smaller ships and the intimacy of this class of ship. We also sailed on the Maasdam twice and this ship is a sister ship to the Maasdam. We really enjoy the Maasdam as well.

We really like the sailing out of Tampa as well. It is less hectic as Ft. Lauderdale and a much easier port to navigate and park, etc. Loved the sailaway through the channels and under the big bridge (forget the name at the moment) but it's a sight to see at night.

Just stay clear of cabin EE791. I was upgraded(?) to this cabin which was right above a glass recycling depot. Was woken up EVERY morning at 6:00 by the sound of smashing class (all the old wine and beer bottles). Didn't appreciate this one bit since I rise at 5:30 on work week days. Otherwise you will love the Ryndam.

Forgot to mention that I was in IQ108 on the verandah deck. On the HAL site, the deck plan states that it is 182 sq. The video shows a sofa in the room.

But, the spa interior rooms are Standard size (@150 sf) and not Large size (182 sf). There is no room for a sofa.

It's slightly tight for a single person. Might be uncomfortable for two people. Only one chair. The plus is that it is in a cul de sac. So, I presume that it was a little bit quieter than in the main corridor.

Take note!

I would also like to hear anything about the H and other outside cabins. We have an HH guarantee and are wondering if we should pay to reserve a DD cabin.

We've never done the guarantee and I don't know what the outside cabins on the lower decks are like. We like the Lower Promenade deck... but, I understand that if we are "upgraded" from the HH category, we may end up in on a lower deck.

How are the outside cabins on the lower decks (A and Main)?

Originally, we had an MM guarantee. I would also love to hear about the MMs and other inside cabins on the Ryndam.

Thank you.

In May 2009 I had an HH cabin on Ryndam, and I booked a specific cabin, to avoid overhead noise. It was under the dining room It was great, and one of the best value cabins I've had. I'd take that cabin or another HH in a similar location any time.

Just got back from another cruise on Ryndam and had booked an MM gty. Got a "K" inside. I've decided I don't really like inside cabins at all. It was close to the same size as an OV, but the bathroom was pretty snug. It was located above some piece of equipment that made a fair amount of noise and vibration when the ship was running.... I suspect I was over the engines.

Have enjoyed cabins on Dolphin Deck and the Main deck. One problem one time with a cabin on the Main Deck -- we had two heavy footed people who thudded constantly as they did laps on the Promenade Deck. Next time in a cabin on Main Deck, no noise from above.

I was about to say there is no "perfect" lower-priced cabin, but for me, my HH was as close to perfect as it gets :) And one OV cabin midships on Dolphin Deck -- it was perfect, too.

How are the outside cabins on the lower decks (A and Main)?

Thank you.

We were on the Ryndam this past July for our first and only cruse so far. We had a great time. As it was our only cruise, we have nothing to compare it to. The ship was obviously not new, so if you really need flashy flawless, you won't find it. The many fans of the Ryndam who have already posted appreciate the intimate size, grace, service. We had a category DA cabin, outside (fill sized window), about 5 cabins in front of the rear stairs on the Main Deck. The cabin was very nice. We had plenty of room for two people. The photo shows the desk, dresser, and closet area. Opposite the closets is a nice sized bathroom with full sized tub/shower (not a closet sized bathroom). Opposite the dresser/desk was a love-seat and coffee and end table (you can just see the coffee table - you can see the end table in the mirror). The other end of the room had the bed/window. The window is about two feet by two feet (maybe). Not a porthole in this category. The window was a bit dirty (salt from the sea, I presume). We are directly below the outside veranda, so noise from above is not a problem except when the elephant was jogging ;).

There was often a DJ in the Crows nest and sometime the ship's band playing, but we didn't spend too much time up there. They often seemed to have games/activities scheduled. When we went by, there never seemed to be a big crowd (but this is a smallish ship, so there were rarely crowds anywhere). The Ocean bar was very large, but mostly empty. They had a jazz trio playing most nights, but I saw few people dancing. In contrast, the piano par (aft-most part of the newly renovated Mix) was often packed. The piano man was VERY popular, but no dancing here. Just aft of the Mix was the Explorer's Lounge where the string quartet played every evening. This was also very popular, but no dancing. Of course, I presume July Alaska cruises may have a different demographic from your Caribbean cruise so YMMV.

Have a great trip!

38850_10150253302500595_811535594_14113069_32013_n.jpg

Originally, we had an MM guarantee. I would also love to hear about the MMs and other inside cabins on the Ryndam.

The Ryndam (all the S- and R-class ships) have two types of inside cabins; they are interchangeable from one ship to the other.

There's "standard" insides, which have been called a "cabinette", and the "large" insides. I would not book a "standard".

The large ones are a generous size. They are slightly smaller than most outsides, and slightly larger than the outsides on Lower Promenade. There's two types of "large" insides. Most are perpendicular to the passageway. That is, they are rectangular---sort of long and narrow. There's also a few others that are more square. These feel huge! Plenty of space between the couch and the desk.

We've been on Ryndam twice, the last time in the spring of 09. We've had one balcony and one outside. DW and I agreed that we probably won't take her again. While she looked a bit tired in the spring of 09, our biggest issue was size-related. Many things just weren't as pleasant as they are on the Vista-class ships and the entertainment suffers in comparison.

Ooooo. Thanks for the photo odd man out ~ ! Where did you get those BEAUTIFUL flowers. Thanks Ruth C for the details on the inside cabins. I've never cruised in one, but they are sometimes such a great savings, I have considered trying one. We almost did on our upcoming cruise, but the price dropped & we were moved into an outside.

I still can't decide if I would rather pay a couple hundred additional dollars and reserve a room ... or gamble with the HH guarantee and try for an upgrade. Though jogging elephants on the Lower Promenade deck have me convinced I should avoid outside cabins on the Main deck at all costs.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I haven't seen many on the Ryndam, though I have searched, so I really appreciate it (and thank the OP for beginning the thread).

I hope the stateroom and general Ryndam comments will keep coming & that cruisers returning from the Ryndam's Western Caribbean cruises this fall will write reviews as soon as they return & is convenient for them. :)

Ruth C, How does one determine which staterooms are more square than rectangular? Thank you!

About the best way (other than peeking in the cabins on your way by ;)) is to check the deck plans, and then ask about selected cabins here. Sometimes with a careful scrutiny of the deck plans you can see a slightly different shape of the cabins.

We live in Tampa so go on as many as possible from here. We were on the Ryndam in April and absolutely loved it! I had taken a tour of the ship previously so decided that there were no bad veranda cabins and booked a guarantee. We got a BA upgrade right by the aft stairs--great location. The Crows Nest was great for dancing--we actually don't dance much but did on this trip--50's 60's rock n roll party was terrific. We always eat in the dining room and were very happy with the food. This time we splurged and ate at The Pinnacle once--well worth it. Also Canneletto was very good. I'm thinking about booking again for January we liked it so much and the Tampa port is so easy.

We loved the Ryndam also - sailed on this ship last Nov. and are planning another cruise on the Ryndam this Nov. We had an outside cabin on Main Deck and absolutely loved it. The cabin was so quiet and the a/c was very comfortable. We did not hear any major noise from above. I would not hesitate to book a cabin on this deck again but for fun we have a verandah guaranteed this upcoming trip. Really looking forward to it as we have never had a verandah before.

Archived