Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

6 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate this great story and follow-up from the super-experienced Hank.  Not boring.  YES, agree that spending evenings in Venice is wonderful as the "day-trippers" and cruise crowds have left, allowing an enjoyment of the character and charm of this historic city. 

From the Reuters newswire this morning, they had this headline: “Italy to legislate to keep liners out of Venice lagoon” with these highlights: “The Italian cabinet will meet on Tuesday to discuss emergency measures to keep large cruise ships out of Venice lagoon, three government sources said.   The government decided to act after the United Nations culture organisation UNESCO threatened to put Italy on a blacklist for not banning liners from the World Heritage site, one of the sources said.   The legislation will take immediate effect, the sources said, without giving further details.   It is likely to affect the business of cruise companies.  Rome has passed legislation in the past to limit liners' access to one of the world's most famous tourist sites, but an alternative docking point is not yet ready.  In April, Prime Minister Mario Draghi's government approved a decree to build a terminal outside the lagoon where passenger vessels over 40,000 tons and container ships can berth without passing in front of Saint Mark's Square, the city's most famous landmark.  Large boats were told to dock at the industrial port of Marghera, but even this intermediate solution is not yet ready because Marghera lacks a suitable docking point for liners.”

Oh, those details like building a new cruise ship docking location, can be a major factor as to how things would work . . . or not . . . affecting this future planning and operations.  Details?  Details??

Full story at:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-italy-legislate-keep-liners-out-venice-lagoon-sources-2021-07-13/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,497 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Thanks Terry.  And the saga continues as it has for nearly 2 decades.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 5:40 PM, Hlitner said:

So here is a story for Terry and anyone else who wants to be bored with my stories :).  A few years ago we happened to be in Venice on a HAL ship that did an overnight.  DW and I spent a nice day in and around Venice (I think we may have taken the vaporetto out to Burano that day) and returned to the ship in late afternoon where we freshened-up (love this old term) before venturing back into Venice to enjoy our evening.  We noticed when leaving the ship (around 6pm) that we were the only folks within sight as we took the long walk (we did not want to wait for a shuttle bus) to the People Mover.  Once back in Venice we stopped at a cafe for cocktails and later went to a delightful seafood restaurant for a decent dinner.  After dinner we took a long walk and eventually stopped at another well-placed outdoor cafe (where there was some live music) for a nightcap.  We returned to the port a little after 10 pm and again took the long walk from the People Mover to our pier.  I still remember it was a gorgeous evening and as we walked towards the ship the only folks we passed (going into Venice) were crew members off for an evening ashore (we saw a few in the morning with very red eyes).   

But what was notable was we did not see a single other passenger heading back to the ship.  The reason was apparently very few cruisers left the ship for an evening ashore...instead preferring to stay aboard where they could get their included dinner.  Being a longer HAL cruise most passengers would have been heading to their cabins by 10.  On overnights there is very little happening onboard to keep folks awake.

It has been a similar experience when we have overnighted in other European ports (doing this in Lisbon is quite common on HAL).  When we have chatted with other cruisers (onboard) most tell us they do not like to go ashore unless on a tour and/or they do not see any reason to pay for dinner ashore when it is provided for them on the ship.  Why am I posting this?  Because while we cruisers like to think we contribute a lot to the local port economy the truth is that most cruisers contribute very little when compared to folks who stay in local hotels, eat 3 meals ashore, frequent bars, etc.  

The recent election (November 2020) in Key West had 3 different referendums involved in banning/limiting cruise ships.  All 3 easily passed (with over 60% of the vote) because a majority of locals did not support the idea of too many cruisers (or large ships) in their port.  The Florida Legislature has since passed a law to negate the opinion of the local voters.  It is interesting that it has been alleged that one of the main forces behind the scenes of the legislative action was a man who is heavily invested in a local hotel and private pier (used for some cruise ships) at Key West.  Or course this person does not live anywhere in the Keys and his own Florida community has no facilities for cruise ships :).  "Not in my back yard" comes to mind.

Hank

Agree! We always try and eat out when in other countries! It's the only time you get to try their local food.  We did the same think in 2019 on my one and only trip to Italy.  We ate almost every meal (and tons of gelato) in ports.  We did end up spending more than we wanted to but you only live to once....and I am so glad we did...Now to save $ another 5-10 years so I can go back. 🤣 Maybe we'll be able to travel freely by then.

• Like 1

also just avoid any restaurant with the menu in several languages…. 
My most helpful tip is to ask a local shopkeeper where they go,  found a favourite in Rome this way.  In a small town in southern Italy, when I asked where to eat,  the lady closed her shop and walked me arm in arm to a restaurant where she introduced me as her amici!  

I love the gelato discussion, I’m in serious withdrawal

Edited by bennybear

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 5:36 PM, bennybear said:

also just avoid any restaurant with the menu in several languages…. My most helpful tip is to ask a local shopkeeper where they go,  found a favourite in Rome this way.  In a small town in southern Italy, when I asked where to eat,  the lady closed her shop and walked me arm in arm to a restaurant where she introduced me as her amici!    I love the gelato discussion, I’m in serious withdrawal

Appreciate ALL of these great comments and follow-ups.  YES, agree above that getting tips for the "locals" tends to work best and be the most fun.  

From the London/UK Telegraph this morning, they had this headline: “20 greatest destinations in Italy – and the perfect time to visit each one” with these highlights about Venice: “Always beautiful, always alluring, always romantic and never disappointing: you can’t go wrong with Venice at almost any time of year. But, while it can undoubtedly be chilly, there is a special magic to the city in winter. On clear days, the canals sparkle in the sunlight, and you can see the snow-capped Dolomites on the horizon. In February you can also choose between crowd-free sights coupled with bargain prices, or the excitement and glamour of the Carnival (February 8 - 25, 2020).”

My first visit to Venice was December 1970, enjoying this amazing city during the winter period when the tourist masses were not there.  It was just Venice and the people who live and work there.  Then, you can better experience what makes Venice so awesome!!

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/20-greatest-destinations-italy-perfect-time-visit-one/

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,513 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 11:36 AM, TLCOhio said:

Thanks Terry! 🙂

Telegrap article by Nick Trend

(I wasn't able to read without a subscription or starting a free trial? A pop-up blocked the view within a few seconds, it might be available through my library, would need to check.)

Hope everyone is doing well, keeping safe. 

Had to smile about the "avoid restaurants with multi language menus."  We are talking about Venice where every restaurant has multi language menus!  And having traveled all over Italy I would add that this is pretty common throughout the country even in tiny restaurants that do not cater to the tourist trade.  One favorite small Florence restaurant that specialized in dishes with truffles has multi language menus and you will never see a cruiser or normal tourist since they do not know about the place.  So why, you might ask, do they have menus in English and French?  Because the restaurant is favored by some folks in the fashion industry who routinely go to that place for meals (and business meals).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Had to smile about the "avoid restaurants with multi language menus."  We are talking about Venice where every restaurant has multi language menus!  And having traveled all over Italy I would add that this is pretty common throughout the country even in tiny restaurants that do not cater to the tourist trade.  One favorite small Florence restaurant that specialized in dishes with truffles has multi language menus and you will never see a cruiser or normal tourist since they do not know about the place.  So why, you might ask, do they have menus in English and French?  Because the restaurant is favored by some folks in the fashion industry who routinely go to that place for meals (and business meals).

Hank

Guess we get further afield both in large cities and the countryside.   We’ve been to a vast majority that only have Italian menus and speak no English.  I had to laugh about all restaurants in Venice having English menus,  really Hank! 

The good thing is if you enjoy Italian food you will be fine as you will recognize a lot of things.

A menu from a small town in Toscana.  
image.thumb.jpeg.1349ad424bdf31d007e4aa20cb9d6b45.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Guess we get further afield both in large cities and the countryside.   We’ve been to a vast majority that only have Italian menus and speak no English.  I had to laugh about all restaurants in Venice having English menus,  really Hank! 

The good thing is if you enjoy Italian food you will be fine as you will recognize a lot of things.

A menu from a small town in Toscana.  
image.thumb.jpeg.1349ad424bdf31d007e4aa20cb9d6b45.jpeg

Funny that they only translate the cinghiale.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I notice several of the main dishes are translated. Maybe they've had one too many tourists unhappy because they accidentally ordered rabbit ("oh no, I ate Thumper!") or tripe.... 😉

Eagle eye, cruisemom.

Thumper is very good. Tripe is not for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:54 PM, Hlitner said:

Because the restaurant is favored by some folks in the fashion industry who routinely go to that place for meals (and business meals).

They're there for the clothes of legendary artists like Valentino, Armani, Prada, Versace, just to name a few (Ferragamo, Bottega Veneta, eyewear giant Luxxotica, I could go on and on) and can't manage restaurant Italian? Not one to judge ma, perché? It's Italy, where they speak Italian. I get that it's a service business but I don't know...make an effort? (Not you Hank 😉 )

And, they do the double-cheek kiss, very continental, but require a translated menu? OK, I'm done ranting. (But why? It's Italian food. Somethings you just can't translate...)

Oh and I'll add, yesterday, since I HAD to drive through Staten Island to get where I was going, it made sense to stop at the one and only Villabate Alba pasticceria on 18th Ave in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, for what ended up being a one pound custom selected mix (2 free pignoli cookies!!) and ten freshly filled cannoli with confectioners sugar (of course) in fresh made cannoli shells. Turns out, they ship!! Prob won't be same as having the fresh cannoli but... since I was bringing these to everyone who never had anything like it before, the reactions from an international crowd were ❤️💯😱❣️🏆 and so they went fast. It's not Italy, but it's better than Ferrara, from Sicilian family, (not mine) and amazing. Worth the detour, but I already knew it would be.

Nowhere near like truffles in Florence, but should you want amazing homemade pignoli cookies now, creampuffs and what not, here you go. Oh and they make gelato, maybe they ship in dry ice? It looked good but I was full from breakfast. 

People don't know what they're missing if they don't have corniglio. This is (maybe) an advantage of no translation? I tried it in Emilia-Romagna, loved it and have been enjoying it ever since, though it can be hard to find on menus. Still love Thumper too. Both things can be true 🙂 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

They're there for the clothes of legendary artists like Valentino, Armani, Prada, Versace, just to name a few (Ferragamo, Bottega Veneta, eyewear giant Luxxotica, I could go on and on) and can't manage restaurant Italian? Not one to judge ma, perché? It's Italy, where they speak Italian. I get that it's a service business but I don't know...make an effort? (Not you Hank 😉 )

And, they do the double-cheek kiss, very continental, but require a translated menu? OK, I'm done ranting. (But why? It's Italian food. Somethings you just can't translate...)

Oh and I'll add, yesterday, since I HAD to drive through Staten Island to get where I was going, it made sense to stop at the one and only Villabate Alba pasticceria on 18th Ave in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, for what ended up being a one pound custom selected mix (2 free pignoli cookies!!) and ten freshly filled cannoli with confectioners sugar (of course) in fresh made cannoli shells. Turns out, they ship!! Prob won't be same as having the fresh cannoli but... since I was bringing these to everyone who never had anything like it before, the reactions from an international crowd were ❤️💯😱❣️🏆 and so they went fast. It's not Italy, but it's better than Ferrara, from Sicilian family, (not mine) and amazing. Worth the detour, but I already knew it would be.

Nowhere near like truffles in Florence, but should you want amazing homemade pignoli cookies now, creampuffs and what not, here you go. Oh and they make gelato, maybe they ship in dry ice? It looked good but I was full from breakfast. 

People don't know what they're missing if they don't have corniglio. This is (maybe) an advantage of no translation? I tried it in Emilia-Romagna, loved it and have been enjoying it ever since, though it can be hard to find on menus. Still love Thumper too. Both things can be true 🙂 

Oh My!   DW is a true connoisseur of cannoli's and we will be in the Brooklyn/Queens area in a couple of weeks (on our way to JFK).  I will hide your post from her sight :).  We might stop in and have dinner at Don Peppe's which now begs the question, I wonder from where they get their cannoli's or if they make them on site.  Just to whet the appetite here is a photo:

o.jpg

In the spirit of CC perhaps we need a new topic, "What cruise ship has the best cannoli's?"

Hank

46 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

I love the rant, I guess I can’t understand why people expect a foreign country to operate in English and take their currency,  I was appalled in the Musee D’ Orsay where I heard a woman loudly opine that they could put the descriptions in English if they wanted to rather than enjoying the art while realizing she was in Paris.  We much prefer to enjoy the experience of different cultures and languages.  And in Italy they will work with you to make sure you understand.  

I will add to my suggestion to ask the waiter what is good and listen to their recommendations.   We had the most sublime meal of antipasti in the Cinque Terre,  with a shrimp salad so good, I ordered a second for dessert. 

And then there’s pigeon with the head on!  DH will try anything,  good thing a bottle of wine could block my view.  But he found it delicious.  

We made it to the Pasticcerria that was on Netflix chefs table, Caffe Sicilia in Noto,  DH pronounced it the best Cannoli he had eaten.   Their gelato and almond desserts were sublime.  They use a local almond variety that they are trying to maintain.  970CB48C-EBFE-4326-9C38-E1B7331E18E0.thumb.jpeg.f699bd6afff8c818eb474470caa1a0fe.jpeg 

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate ALL of these great, fun comments, sharing and follow-ups from bennybear, Hank, cruisemom42, HostBonjour, etc.  Keep it coming!!

From the New York Times this afternoon, they had this headline: “Venice, Overwhelmed by Tourists, Tries Tracking Them" with this sub-headline: "Can cellphone data and surveillance cameras help restore the city’s old-world charm, or just destroy what magic remains?”

Here are some of their story highlights: “As the pandemic chased away visitors, some Venetians allowed themselves to dream of a different city — one that belonged as much to them as to the tourists who crowd them out of their stone piazzas, cobblestone alleyways and even their apartments.  In a quieted city, the chiming of its 100 bell towers, the lapping of canal waters and the Venetian dialect suddenly became the dominant soundtrack. The cruise ships that disgorged thousands of day-trippers and caused damaging waves in the sinking city were gone, and then banned.  But now, the city’s mayor is taking crowd control to a new level, pushing high-tech solutions that alarm even many of those who have long campaigned for a Venice for Venetians.  Many Venetians are frustrated having to travel to the mainland to buy undershirts because souvenir shops selling fake Murano glass have driven out businesses catering to locals.

Here is more from their story today: "The city’s leaders are acquiring the cellphone data of unwitting tourists and using hundreds of surveillance cameras to monitor visitors and prevent crowding. Next summer, they plan to install long-debated gates at key entry points; visitors coming only for the day will have to book ahead and pay a fee to enter. If too many people want to come, some will be turned away.   The conservative and business-friendly mayor, Luigi Brugnaro, and his allies say their aim is to create a more livable city for beleaguered Venetians.  'Either we are pragmatic, or we live in the world of fairy tales,' said Paolo Bettio, who heads Venis, the company that handles the city’s information technology.  But many residents see the plans to monitor, and control, people’s movements as dystopian — and either a publicity stunt or a way to attract wealthier tourists, who might be discouraged from coming by the crowds."

Many other interesting details and background in this lengthy and highly-detailed report.  Reactions?  Likes or dislikes?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/world/europe/venice-tourism-surveillance.html

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 48,225 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From CNN cable news this morning, they had this headline: The island where Venice began with these highlights: “Flying into Venice, on the right hand side of the airplane, you'll see the city unfurl beneath you: a mass of terracotta roofs, brick bell towers and those canals, knitting the 118 islands of Venice together.  Then, as the plane continues northwards across the lagoon to land at Venice airport, just outside the suburb of Tessera, you'll see another smattering of islands in the north of the lagoon.
Most are little more than uninhabited mudflats. The last thing you'll see before you touch down on the runway at Tessera, is an island that appears to be uninhabited apart from one thing: a tall, square bell tower, standing outside a giant brick barn.  That tower is the last thing you see as you hit the runway; you can see it from the boarding gates, too, which look over the lagoon.  It's fitting that it's the first and last sign of humanity you see coming into or out of Venice, because Torcello is the island where Venice began.”

This is a long and interesting background piece as relates to Venice's unique history.  Here is more from their reporting: "Venetians have been told that this little island is where everything started.  Torcello was settled in the fifth century, so the story goes, by refugees fleeing "barbarians" in the dying days of the Roman empire. The silting up of the mainland harbor of Altinum on the mainland also drove people to the island.  Abandoned for the now-mushrooming city of Venice, Torcello became a place of retreat. Monasteries and churches were built there -- St Francis of Assisi is said to have swung by the nearby island of San Francesco del Deserto in 1220, to pray.  Today, fewer than 20 people live on the island year-round, while tourists flock to see the church, said to have some of the most impressive Byzantine mosaics left in Italy. Luminaries who have visited the island include the Queen Elizabeth II and Ernest Hemingway, who wrote 'Across the River and into the Trees' during a stay at Locanda Cipriani, a historic restaurant-with-rooms on the island."

Much to do, see and experience in and around Venice.  

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/torcello-venice-island/index.html

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 42,518 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

@TLCOhio  Very interesting read. 

I've actually visited Altinum (modern day Altino) from Venice -- it is just a short local bus ride. They have a very nice, and very uncrowded national archaeological museum there with finds from the Roman settlement. 

The discovery and archaeology of that place is a story in itself. Much of it wouldn't have been uncovered, as the ruins were mostly covered over and forgotten, except for a terrible drought some years ago that revealed strange patterns in the fields where the ruins of buildings lay hidden....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/picture-of-the-weekancient-altinum-15981535/

The ruins themselves are a bit hard to visit as excavations are still ongoing. But they have a couple of observation points.

So I'm the one who speaks up every time someone says that Venice started in Torcello by saying, "Ahh, not so fast....."

At any rate, Torcello -- whatever its origin story is -- is a very worthwhile place to visit while in Venice. The mosaics are splendid (although not quite up to the standards of Ravenna) and the island itself has a kind of "lost in time" vibe.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Torcello -- whatever its origin story is -- is a very worthwhile place to visit while in Venice. The mosaics are splendid (although not quite up to the standards of Ravenna) and the island itself has a kind of "lost in time" vibe.

As always from cruisemom42, you have provided great follow-up information and background.  Very inspiring for getting back to Italy, etc., to enjoy the excellent history, charm, people and character.

From the New York Times Travel Section this past week, they had their annual "52 Top Places to Visit" during the upcoming year.  Here was their headline: “52 Places for a Changed World" with this sub-headline: "The 2022 list highlights places around the globe where travelers can be part of the solution.”

Here are some of their NYT reporting highlights that focus for in and around our beloved Venice: “Built on a cluster of islands in the Venetian lagoon, with centuries-old buildings rising from the canals in all their decadent glory, Chioggia is called 'piccola Venezia,' or little Venice. Locals beg to disagree: If anything, they say, it’s nearby Venice that should be described as Chioggia’s larger doppelgänger, and it’s true, Chioggia is older. Venice is so worried about being overwhelmed once again after the pandemic that it is planning to resort to surveillance cameras and cellphone data to control the crowds; visiting other culturally rich places like Chioggia can help relieve the pressure. Today, Chioggia is popular with Italian and German visitors, drawn both by the architectural beauties in the historic center and the family-friendly beaches of its mainland suburb, Sottomarina. The city, which has preserved a rough maritime vibe, can serve as an ideal base for bicycle tours. It is also known for its radicchio. During a time of increased awareness of overtourism, this miniature Venice is a delightful alternative for travelers looking for a lesser-known destination.”

Here is the NY Times visual used to illustrate this segment of their reporting: 

1589658594_ScreenShot2022-01-14at12_05_04PM.thumb.png.4de7a9f43c6afffdce7ff5fc5a7e4c0b.png

Anyone been to this interesting location near main Venice?  Experiences to share?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/travel/52-places-travel-2022.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,164 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

From a California publication writer, they had this headline: Love for a dying Venice: The resilience against overtourism with these highlights:For Massimo Brunzin and his fellow Venetians living in the city center, the COVID-19 pandemic provided a glimpse of their sweet old Venice: when streets weren’t clogged with tourists and massive cruise ships didn’t obstruct the waterways.  He could finally enjoy all that Venice was supposed to be.  'It was a paradise,' Brunzin said. 'We were the only boat in the lagoon. It was incredible.'  Brunzin spent most of his life in Venice. His parents moved to the city when he was born, and he grew up in what he called 'the best place to live in the world.'  He now raises his children in Venice and works as an Italian teacher at Venice International University. Over the years, he saw the gradual intensification of mass tourism.  When Brunzin was a child in the ‘60s, Venice saw 500,000 visitors per year. In 2019, Venice received a record number of 5.5 million tourists. These overwhelming waves of tourists have been tearing down the physical and social fabric of the city.  Tourism in Italy can be traced back to the 17th century when young European aristocrats traveled across Europe to furnish their education. This privileged tradition was known as 'The Grand Tour.'  Italy was the cultural finishing point of this tour, where the aristocrats soaked in the Renaissance masterpieces.

Here is more from this writer's perspective: "Once a destination for the elite, modernization opened up Italy to the common people. Today, 'The Grand Tour' has been democratized for the masses through low-cost flights, accessibility of the internet and the rise of Airbnb. The increased feasibility of travel has produced a huge surge in tourism.   As a result, Venice is diminishing in both aspects that characterize a city: the infrastructure and the people. Massive cruise ships have eroded the city’s foundation and degraded the lagoon’s fragile ecosystem. Known for unloading thousands of day-trippers at once, the cruise ship became a symbol for overtourism and has been targeted by Venetian activist groups. The fragile state of Venice prompted UNESCO to announce its consideration of placing the city on the List of World Heritage in Danger, a reputation that the Italian government hopes to avoid."

Full story at:

https://www.dailycal.org/2022/02/12/love-for-a-dying-venice-the-resilience-against-overtourism/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,028 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 2 months later...

From Forbes magazine in the past week, they had this headline: Venice Will Charge Tourists A $10 Entry Fee Starting This Summer with these highlights:Tourist hotspot Venice will introduce a booking system and an entry fee for daytrippers from this summer.  Come June, visitors to Venice will need to book their visit and pay a charge ranging from €3 to €10 ($3 and $11) depending on the season.  The ticket system, which will be trialed for a period of six months, is the latest move by authorities grappling with the unsustainable levels of visitors to the city.  In recent weeks, visitor numbers have shot back up to pre-pandemic levels. Over the Easter weekend, some 125,000 daytrippers visited the historic center.  After a six-month trial from June, the booking system may be introduced permanently in 2023. This summer, those wishing to visit the city for the day will need to book in advance and pay for their entry ticket.”   

From the London/UK Express newspaper, they had this headline: "Venice becomes first city in the world to charge tourists to enter- ‘quality not quantity'. "   Here are some of their story highlights: "Simone Venturini, from the department of tourism, said: “Covid changed feelings and perceptions of what tourism is.  'We want less quantity and more quality. We will have an experimental phase starting this summer by the booking of the visits.'  Luigi Brugnaro, mayor of Venice, tweeted: 'Tourism in Venice is starting again, and is a breath of fresh air for tourism operators.Today, many have understood that the booking system is the right path to take for a more balanced management of tourism.' "   

Reactions?  Likes or dislikes?

Full stories at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccahughes/2022/04/21/venice-will-charge-tourists-a-10-entry-fee-from-this-summ er/?sh=8f6961610253

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1598443/italy-holiday-venice-day-tripper-tourist-tax

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 20,781 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From Forbes magazine in the past week, they had this headline: Venice Will Charge Tourists A $10 Entry Fee Starting This Summer with these highlights:Tourist hotspot Venice will introduce a booking system and an entry fee for daytrippers from this summer.  Come June, visitors to Venice will need to book their visit and pay a charge ranging from €3 to €10 ($3 and $11) depending on the season.  The ticket system, which will be trialed for a period of six months, is the latest move by authorities grappling with the unsustainable levels of visitors to the city.  In recent weeks, visitor numbers have shot back up to pre-pandemic levels. Over the Easter weekend, some 125,000 daytrippers visited the historic center.  After a six-month trial from June, the booking system may be introduced permanently in 2023. This summer, those wishing to visit the city for the day will need to book in advance and pay for their entry ticket.”   

From the London/UK Express newspaper, they had this headline: "Venice becomes first city in the world to charge tourists to enter- ‘quality not quantity'. "   Here are some of their story highlights: "Simone Venturini, from the department of tourism, said: “Covid changed feelings and perceptions of what tourism is.  'We want less quantity and more quality. We will have an experimental phase starting this summer by the booking of the visits.'  Luigi Brugnaro, mayor of Venice, tweeted: 'Tourism in Venice is starting again, and is a breath of fresh air for tourism operators.Today, many have understood that the booking system is the right path to take for a more balanced management of tourism.' "   

Reactions?  Likes or dislikes?

Full stories at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccahughes/2022/04/21/venice-will-charge-tourists-a-10-entry-fee-from-this-summ er/?sh=8f6961610253

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1598443/italy-holiday-venice-day-tripper-tourist-tax

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 20,781 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

I love it!  venice is far too overrun with day trippers and cruisers.  I would have no issue with paying the fee.  i may end up in Venice on my wanderings this summer for a day or two, but I'm thinking against it just because of the crush of humanity.  Was thinking Ravenna, but with cruises embarking/debarking there now, it may be off my list, too.