Southampton Docks WARNING

shoreham01

Whether you self-drive, limo, taxi - if you are on the road and there's a bad accident then you will be stuck, perhaps for a few hours. The UK is not like it was a few years ago when the priority was to get the crashed vehicles off the road and clear the way for traffic. I don't know why this should be but I put it down to incompetence:D

Best bet is use the trains and a short taxi drive or a local hotel.

all good advice--

our trip on Crown Princess will be our first with Princess & our first from Southampton, so we have decided to avoid these issues by booking all our transfers and pre-cruise hotel with Princess directly.

It is more costly & less personal, but at least we expect they will get us on & off the ship correctly... we also booked a late flight home to the US, just in case something gets delayed..

It is curious that the first five responders all felt that the OP's story showed you need to hire a car. I read just the opposite; the OP's message to me is that, for goodness sake, take the train. There is no concern then about accidents or congestion.

Bill

The OP is British. They probably had fairly realistic expectations and still struggled. We probably wouldn't tell some one in FL to not drive to the port.

Coral,

My post did not refer at all to OP, who was kindly conveying his experience, but to the way his experience was interpreted by the next five posters, all Americans.

Bill

It is curious that the first five responders all felt that the OP's story showed you need to hire a car. I read just the opposite; the OP's message to me is that, for goodness sake, take the train. There is no concern then about accidents or congestion.
I have no intention of ever taking the train. When you are a "senior citizen" woman traveling alone or with another woman, juggling my luggage and carry-ons is not on my agenda. Most passengers, including men, don't want to have to deal with getting to the train, handling luggage, etc.

The OP is British. They probably had fairly realistic expectations and still struggled. We probably wouldn't tell some one in FL to not drive to the port.

If anything, it reminds those of us who do not know the area to hire experts and give us plenty of time to reach the ship as delays happen. Someone posted last week that their flight was getting into the airport at 3:30 and thought they would make the ship. After reading about the OP, I hope they (whoever posted last week) changed their flights!

The OP's from the other thread posted that they did make it to the ship in plenty of time. Princess had gone back and revised their schedule, so they actually could have gone with the Princess transfers. :D

Interestingly, I had a works meeting today in Southampton so, getting there early, I decided to have a drive round and see if I could find Gate 10 without any sat nav etc....

Found it without problem...Easy.

My only problem was not parking up and camping outside for the 270 odd days before we head out on the Crown......

I looked it up btw and Sat nav postcode SO15 1RE gets you virtually there without problems.....

Archived