Thieves Are Thriving in Barcelona

Oh2Travel

Alas, according to the article in the enclosed link, the Mossos D'Esquadra (Catalonian Police) are cracking down on thieves who are repeat offenders. The 35 arrested, part of two different gangs, have over 600 previous detentions and have been locked away (preventive jailing they call it). It further says that robberies have gone down 5% during from January to September.

So, to answer my own question, YES, they're doing something about it. If you can read Spanish:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2010/11/04/barcelona/1288872567.html

We just got back from Barcelona--It cost the 4 of us apx 21 E to get from the airport to the hotel Jazz which is apx 1.5 blocks from Plaza Catalunya. at 1p in the afternoon. On the other hand it cost us 48E to get to the airport when we left at 0600. It cost us apx 50 E for the 4 of us to take a taxi to the port. Luggage was included.

We had copies of passports in our money belts-but we did make a copy of all of our credit cards, passports and drivers license and emailed these to ourselves -so we could access them and the phone numbers needed to cancel them.

• 1 month later...

I am happy to report that during our four days in Barcelona we did not experience nor did we witness any thefts or any other type of street crime. We even did Las Ramblas at night. The mobs of people unnerved me but that happens to me anywhere. We never took any mass public transportation - just walked all over the place. Police presence was adequate and the city was clean and beautiful. I was able to relax after "surviving" the crush of people at Las Ramblas and around Plaza Catalunya without incident.

It is good to be proven wrong on this matter. Barcelona is a great place to visit, as most people have stated. I know you didn't need my "expert" opinion on this, but I promised I would provide feedback after my return.

Skipped right over this thread before...but now I gotta jump in :D

1. We walked all over San Juan (old part) until 2-3 am ! Never felt unsafe. There were lots of police out and about and we walked from the salsa club we were at to our hotel (El Covento). Mind you - we stayed to the main streets (no alleys for us :eek:) and had no problems .........

2. We have also been to Barcelona as well as Rome, Athens and some other spots know for pickpockets. No problems there either. Careful with our stuff and aware of our surroundings.

3. Now - I live in a city of @325,000 people. Tiny airport.....but my sister had her wallet lifted out of her purse when leaving after a visit last summer. It can happen anywhere, to anyone at any time....

Weve been to Barcelona, Rome, Athens a few times and havent had any bother. My advice is be aware just like you would be in any city. My husband lost his money from his front trouser pocket on a tram in Lisbon. We were targetted by two extremely well dressed guys who were very obliging telling us directions to the castle

We let our guard down , it was our own fault.we should have realised they were being too nice.

Weve been to Barcelona, Rome, Athens a few times and havent had any bother. My advice is be aware just like you would be in any city. My husband lost his money from his front trouser pocket on a tram in Lisbon. We were targetted by two extremely well dressed guys who were very obliging telling us directions to the castle

We let our guard down , it was our own fault.we should have realised they were being too nice.

My former wife was a victum of pickpockets in Paris and purse snatching in Madrid largely becasue she just did not take precautions and was not alert.

My Wife and I have never been pickpocketed. We are vigilant. My Wife has a purse with a reinforced shoulder strap, and she holds it close to her body. I have a money belt and only keep a small wallet with a modest amount of cash. Usually, the passports and important stuff is in the hotel or cruise ship safe.

This year I have done 2 cruises in the Med area, including having 3 days post-cruise in Barcelona. I have the Pacsafe 200 travel handbag and have found it to be excellent.

Along with all the other features which make it difficult to steal or dip into, the strap is the perfect length for wearing across the body. I had a look at the link Desert Cruizers provided in the previous post and I am jealous at the price quoted. Mine was AU$90 when purchased in Australia (even though our dollar is on par with USD).

The Pacsafe 100 is apparently also very good, but not quite large enough for all my "stuff".

My Pacsafe 200 is dark brown (which "goes with" most outfits). As far as handbags go, I only pack this and a black clutch for wearing to dinner. Helps keep the luggage wight down.

I have the Pacsafe 100 and found that the loop on the outer flap comes loose easily. I still used safety pins to keep it closed.

A friend was pickpocketed in Rome at the Trevi with a Pacsafe 200. She thought that since she had a sweater stuffed in over her wallet that it would be really hard to get to. She was wearing it across her body but they got her wallet out and she didn't feel a thing. Noticed that her sweater was hanging further out of her purse than normal. Wallet gone.

Don't get too comfortable with the Pacsafe. Still take the other precautions.

Since this will be our first trip, I am reading as much as I can on CC about how to travel safe in Barcelona. We will do what we can, be alert and hope we don't become a statistic. The less I am carrying with me the safer I will feel and have been alerting DH on how we should travel.

H20tstr, I looked at the bags on the travelonbags site, and might look into one of the purses, yet I really don't plan on carrying one while walking around but go with the ones we can wear under our clothes except for my small Pac safe Camera bag.

You don't have to spend lots of money on special "safe" bags.

I use a travel wallet around my neck and under clothing for money.

I carry my maps other larger items in one of those cloth shopping bags folks now use at the grocery store. Mine has a velcro close at the top. The reason I have been safe in Barcelona is not because of the bag I carry but because of my

vigilance! Thieves pick out people who look vulnerable.They don't want to mess with "eagle eyed folks".

Desert Cruizers, Yes, I think you are correct! IF you are juggling bags, luggage, purses etc. it would be thought that you are not watching all of them carefully!

Thieves are very good at looking around and picking out folks who are unaware of their surroundings.

I always have my "street eyes" out there looking around myself. Please also remember that local folks who come up to you starting conversations in English are NOT there to help!

They are out for no good!! If YOU start a conversation with folks that is a completely different story.

It's like at home, when a salesman calls YOU on the phone , the best thing to do is hang up.

My plan is to not even show a purse while walking around, but have what ever I am taking, Credit Cards, $$, Camera under clothes in a money belt or in a bag ( camera) and in front of me and holding the straps. CC and the Barcelona Ports of call have been a tremendous help to me in planning for our 3 day visit in Barcelona pre cruise. We also have a lot of seasoned cruisers on our Roll Call who have been there so are passing along tips. We will be with a large part of our group on a couple of the tours already set up. Oh I just noticed your in San Diego, a 2 hr drive from us.

Yes, We like Palm Springs and go there often for weekends.

My husband doesn't travel with me to Europe so either I go alone or with a friend. When seniors like us can manage well in foreign cities, I think that anyone can learn to manage and be OK!!

I hope you have a great trip!!

We are truely looking forward to this trip and since I just had surgery in Sept and spent almost a month in the hosp, this cruise is really special for me personally and DH can't wait either. This will be not only our first time in Europe but also a first Freedom Class. We love the Radiance class so this should be quite differant for us.

May your New Year be a Healthy & Happy one.

I will be staying in Barcelona for three days pre-cruise next month. I have an around the neck wallet that goes under my clothes and feel fine with that. My question is more about my camera. I am an avid photo taker so I don't want to go without. I will be carrying my smaller Panasonic camera that fits easily in my front pocket. Should I take any other precautions with this?

I also have a small camera . I wouldn't keep anything of value in a pocket.

Mine has a case that can go around my neck but usually I just keep it in the bottom of that canvas bag with my maps/sweater on top of it.

IF you must keep it in a pocket have a coat or something else over the pocket. It will not be completely safe just sitting in a pocket.

BTW Do NOT put the camera down on an outdoor cafe table!!! It will be gone quickly!!!

I am sure while we are seeing the sightes in Barcelona next Oct, my camera will be clutched tightly in my hand and in front of me but if I descide to place in my pocket, my hand will be in there with it. I did pick up a Camera Case for it thru Pac Safe. http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=133

Click on Products at the top left to search other products.

I was wondering about the camera thing too. I will be going to Rome pre-cruise in Oct.(sorry, this thread was more active) and I am also an avid photographer. I have my small Canon D10, but I really wanted to take some pics with my Canon DSLR.

I think I have decided to get the Scottevest jacket, at least to carry my small things, and heck, I can always use another jacket..LOL!

Do you think that carrying my big camera around my neck will be safe, as long as I don't set it down, or should I invest in one of the neck straps for it, that are steel enforced and can't be cut...not sure how big of a problem camera theft when wearing around neck.

Thanks, Debbie

I don't think that thieves want big bulky things!

I have not worried about things around my neck being cut loose because I usually have clothing over it in some way.

Remember the thieves want the "easiest pickin's".

IF you look like you are aware of your surroundings then they'll try someone else who does not have eagle eyes.

Don't try to use a tripod though, in Rome. They are illegal(without a permit).

Debbie, I've been wondering the same thing. I have a Canon (not a DSLR...a step below...it's a bulky camera) and have been seriously considering buying a smaller p&s camera for my time in Barcelona. (Even though my camera has a killer zoom which I would love to use) I was thinking of getting the pacsafe neck strap as well. But then I think about all my time in NYC...I would hold the camera in my hands to take photos and everything was fine. I'm still nervous about Barca, and plan on being prepared, but I think it comes back to the idea of being aware of your surroundings at all times. But...you're trip is closer than mine, so please let us know how things go!

Archived