Help!!! Lost Passport leaving tomorrow!!!

matondo

So the immediate problem is the flight and that's a big problem. I'm actually asking as much as commenting when I ask if you can even get on an International flight without a passport?
It's the law...a few rare emergency exceptions when one can board an international flight with an exception letter from the US State Dept., but otherwise you must have a passport.

This is among the services/functions their staffs should be assisting constituents with. They are not merely law makers..... they are our representatives to government.

I would hope their staffs are trained and willing to assist citizens.

If not assistance from them, then who?

they may have the number to the passport agency. there is a passport office in detroit: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

there are agencies that can expedite it, for a fee of course. google 'lost passport'. takes time, though. it is fortunate the OP has their expired one.

unfortunately this is going to be a very expensive lesson. what a nightmare.

I thought of you all night..........I feel so bad for you:(. I know this wouldn't help you, but you losing your passport just saved my husbands life (or mine). I just checked our passport spot and they were not there. I had put them in my travel purse for our next cruise.........and forgot. If this would have happened to us, my husband head would have exploded:eek:

As to flying without passport, No airline will let you board International flight without passport. The destination country will not let you enter so the airline is stuck bringing you back to the States (or whichever country) as you aren't permitted out of the secured area of international terminal. You must have passport to fly.

It's the law...a few rare emergency exceptions when one can board an international flight with an exception letter from the US State Dept., but otherwise you must have a passport.

That's what I thought. It's been years, like twenty plus, since I took an International flight but I thought I remembered even back then it was no passport then no fly. I wish the OP the best of luck but I'd not be totally surprised to see them post they're back home today. Getting a replacement passport in just a few hours seems like a "bridge too far" barring the miracle the OP prayed for.

I have a bad habit of hiding important items and then forgetting where I put them. I just found some money that I had hidden away a few months ago and forgot about it. I am going to go right now and make copies of our passports.

OP good luck and I will be saying a prayer for you that you find your passport or can get copies of them.

See if you can get a 24 hr layover in Detroit. (Verify this online first) Go to the local agency there. It will require standing in line and a hefty fee, but if you have your supporting documentation, they can issue you one same day if you get there early enough.

Think of it as a flight delay and maybe it won't seem so bad.

Matondo, I appreciate your bringing this problem to the boards. I have to admit that after reading your post I immediately checked the location of our passports and copies-just to make sure. This situation could hit any of us and one of the reasons these boards are so helpful. Knowing that real time posting of a problem can result in nearly immediate suggestions should make all of us appreciate cc a little more. We could all have last minute problems that impact our travels.

I hope that after this is all said and done-hopefully to your satisfaction-you will post what worked and what didn't in getting passports replaced.

Mike

if we don't hear back from OP Matando, it is a good thing right? He will be happily off on his planned vacation. Best wishes to a happy conclusion to this challenging problem.

that or his wife killed him. i hope they either found it or they are in a passport office now.

I have scanned copies of all my important documents including our passports (medical numbers, insurance papers, wills, contact names/numbers/emails, driver's license, credit cards, etc.) and keep them on a memory stick with password protection. One travels with me in my purse at all times, and another travels in my husbands wallet (or pocket, or bag). I also have a backup one at home, and keep a copy on file on a hotmail account I have for just in case (you can access your hotmail account from any computer anywhere - just make sure it's also password protected).

That way I always have access to it, it doesn't take up any space at all, and no one can see the information unless they know the password, so it is totally safe and protected. You never know where or when you may need the info - what if you were at your holiday destination when those passports disappeared, and still needed to fly home? With the info handy on a memory stick, it is very easy to retrieve what is needed to get an emergency replacement.

Also, if you have any other kind of emergency while away, you have all the important data handy and you don't have to add another burden to your plate panicking while trying to find info while dealing with the emergency itself. It is a great stress reliever, and at very minimal expense and effort.

You don't have paper copies available to those less than honest people who may break into your home while you are away who can really muck up your life with identity theft or fraud, you don't need to wait for someone to go to your home to retrieve the info when you need instant access to it. Also, it may take a few phone calls to find someone who is available at that moment to go to your home for you, and there are not a lot of folks with keys to your home (and your important info) which increases the chance of unauthorized access to your valuables (and your life) while you are away.

I know how frustrating it can be when you misplace something and know it is somewhere nearby, you just can't put your hands on it! I have gotten in the habit of carrying our passports in my purse at all times, whether we are traveling or not. I have a zippered sleeve in my purse where they live, and I keep my purse in the same place all the time when at home. When I am filling out my cruise info on line, I do not use my passport to fill the info in with - I get the info off my memory stick. That way the only time the passports come out of my purse is when we are actually passing through customs. I always check to make sure they are still in their home to reassure myself. But the only way I would be leaving them anywhere is if I forgot my purse, or if the customs agent forgot to give it back to me.

I hope you are able to get them replaced quickly and are still able to enjoy your planned getaway. Good luck, and I hope all turns out well. Enjoy. :)

if we don't hear back from OP Matando, it is a good thing right? He will be happily off on his planned vacation. Best wishes to a happy conclusion to this challenging problem.

I am hoping that since they were flying into detroit, that perhaps they will be able to pick up a passport there and then continue on with their trip from there, even if they are delayed a day. I do hope the OP gets back with us though.

It has been hours since we heard from OP -- hope that is a good sign and all is well.

I agree and am keeping my fingers crossed for them.

It has been hours since we heard from OP -- hope that is a good sign and all is well.

I would think if they hit a stone wall, they would be back at home grieving. The fact that we have not heard back, must mean they are on the hunt for the passport. Hopefully we hear something real soon.

I am fairly new to these boards - several months - but I still cannot understand why ANYONE would post anything negative or mean on these boards - especially in direct reply to a poster.

I know that when someone is having a difficult situation or needs help - they last thing they need is a snide comment.

I just think we should all think about what we write before we post, and how it might sound to a hurting individual.

I only know of one person who was without fault.

I can totally sympathize with the OP because it did almost happen to me once. I was going to visit my sister in France over spring break. The night before my flight I was getting everything together and went to the fire box to get my passport and it wasn't there. I searched that house all over. I filled garbage bags with things to be thrown out from drawers, cupboards and closets. About 2 am I gave up and went to bed and slept until 6 am when I got up and started the process all over again. Finally, about 10 that morning I realized I was going nowhere and called the airline. They put me on hold for a few minutes. I was sitting on the kitchen floor, totally demoralized and crying. While waiting on hold I opened a cupboard and there is was, safe and sound in a casserole dish. I had 30 minutes to finish packing, shower and get dressed to leave for the airport, but I did make it.

Needless to say, I have checked for my passport after reading this thread. I don't need it until January, but I never want to go through that again.

Debbie

....... While waiting on hold I opened a cupboard and there is was, safe and sound in a casserole dish. I had 30 minutes to finish packing, shower and get dressed to leave for the airport, but I did make it.

Needless to say, I have checked for my passport after reading this thread. I don't need it until January, but I never want to go through that again.

Debbie

As Paul Harvey would always say .... and now, for the rest of the story. How on earth did it get in your casserole dish? Please, .... the rest of the story. :p

I keep ours in the same folder with all our cruise docs, confirmations, travel insurance policy, etc. Then I know everything "cruise" is all together.

Although a good idea, I live on the Windsor/Detroit border and we use our passports several times a year. Most likely I would use it several times before a cruise I booked in advance. However, it does give me the idea to put a reminder note with my cruise documents to pack the passport.

Sure hope we hear from the OP real soon with some good news.

I am fairly new to these boards - several months - but I still cannot understand why ANYONE would post anything negative or mean on these boards - especially in direct reply to a poster.

I know that when someone is having a difficult situation or needs help - they last thing they need is a snide comment.

I just think we should all think about what we write before we post, and how it might sound to a hurting individual.

I do not think that I have seen any negative remarks on this thread ?? From what I have seen everyone seems very supportive for the op. If you are going to participate on messageboards you will have to have grow a thick skin because not all comments will be nice.

I can't imagine what you are referring to.There have been so many helpful comments on this thread and not one has been negative. Perhaps you posted on the wrong thread.

Archived