Help!!! Lost Passport leaving tomorrow!!!

matondo

DH and I were both thinking about it coming to us in a dream. We are both hoping that it did not get thrown away when it was sitting on the table in the family room. That is my last memory of my passport.

Our congressman's office opens at 8:00AM..I am going to show up with everything I need to get a replacement passport. Great idea about bringing my confirmed flight information. Hoping he has good news for me.

I really, really appreciate the support. I will keep you posted.

DH and I were both thinking about it coming to us in a dream. We are both hoping that it did not get thrown away when it was sitting on the table in the family room. That is my last memory of my passport.

Our congressman's office opens at 8:00AM..I am going to show up with everything I need to get a replacement passport. Great idea about bringing my confirmed flight information. Hoping he has good news for me.

I really, really appreciate the support. I will keep you posted.

We will all send you positive thoughts that you will find it by tomorrow morning. Sleep well, we are doing the heavy karmic lifting for you tonight. There is now nothing you can do until tomorrow morning, except have that blissful dream where it all is revealed to you. ;)

PS: How to get a same day passport: http://www.naffziger.net/blog/fix-its-how-tos-info/getting-a-same-day-passport/

This may already have been asked, but have you looked in another wallett or purse you've used lately?

How long ago was your last memory of seeing it on your table?

I have had the oddest things stuck in between two metal pieces of our couch.

I'm sick for you. :( I'll send of a prayer.

Good luck!

Several years ago, when I lived in the Boston area, my daughter and I were going on a cruise over the holidays. She drove down 2.5 hours from northern NH to my place and we were being picked up at 5:30am the next morning for our flight to CA. We're sitting there, relaxing after dinner at about 7:00pm when suddenly a light bulb went off. "OMG! I forgot my passport!" Without saying a thing, I dumped the dishes in the dishwasher, set it to run, grabbed my car keys, and we drove 2.5 hours north, she ran into her place for 30 seconds, and drove 2.5 hours back, getting home at about 1am. 5am came awfully fast and we were exhausted but relieved.

You said you were entering your info on HAL's website on your laptop. Do you store your computer in a storage case and put the passport in it? When it's time to begin packing I put mine in my travel purse. Do you have one to check? Check all the pockets if you do. Today I lost my mailbox key and found it next to the shredder where I put it after shredding the mail. Could you have placed it around your printer after filling the forms online and it got mixed up with other paperwork. I know my desk is a disaster and could easily get lost in the mess. My couch is horrible. If anything slips in the cracks it's impossible to find unless we totally tip the couch over.

Good luck.

OK, you had your passport when you did online checkin correct? Look around your computer area, under the desk, on floor, it has to be somewhere.

Thank you for the advice. I am in Columbus, OH and I am afraid the nearest office is in New York and we are supposed to fly through Detroit.

We are still turning the house upside down and I am trying not to panic but we are getting a Plan B in place.

I left all my credit cards ( two credit cards and two debit cards) home once, under the home copier cover because I was so clever thinking it would be good to have copies of them all with all their pertinent info on them safely in another place, in case the originals got lost or stolen.

Only after arriving in Italy did I realize I had no credit cards with me. I realized I had not used them since I had left home, purse never left my side so I was comfortable they had not been lost or stolen.

So where were they ....gulp, back under my home copier cover. Luckily my stash of cash and friend's credit cards got me out of that one, but it was one hard-earned lesson.

List of locations of all passport agencies -- good reminder our own Plan B's:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

This would make a really great hypothetical question for all of us. It is too bad it is reality TV for the OP. Cold comfort knowing we are all learning something really important in this travel exercise. Fingers crossed it all works out, and what we can all share in learning as this drama moves forward.

Despite being an incurable list-maker, I always have dreams the last few nights before leaving home about forgetting something. Arrgh! So I'm wishing the OP opposite - dream about your passport's location and when you wake up, go retrieve it (sending vibes, sending vibes, sending vibes...)

To everyone else, if you haven't already done so, right now: make sure your passports are where you think they are, and make copies if you haven't done that. (I just did!)

.......................)

To everyone else, if you haven't already done so, right now: make sure your passports are where you think they are, and make copies if you haven't done that. (I just did!)

Good reminder and to also send yourself an email that lists all this important stuff to store in a saved mail file on your email website. That way, if you have access to email, you have one more place to get this information.

It is 11pm. Where is your passport? :eek:

Despite being an incurable list-maker, I always have dreams the last few nights before leaving home about forgetting something. Arrgh! So I'm wishing the OP opposite - dream about your passport's location and when you wake up, go retrieve it (sending vibes, sending vibes, sending vibes...)

I was just telling DH that I remember making copies of ours but I'm not sure where I put the copies. :o

I did open the old safe, though, to make sure our passports were tucked away safely. ;)

I left all my credit cards ( two credit cards and two debit cards) home once, under the home copier cover because I was so clever thinking it would be good to have copies of them all with all their pertinent info on them safely in another place, in case the originals got lost or stolen.

Only after arriving in Italy did I realize I had no credit cards with me. I realized I had not used them since I had left home, purse never left my side so I was comfortable they had not been lost or stolen.

So where were they ....gulp, back under my home copier cover. Luckily my stash of cash and friend's credit cards got me out of that one, but it was one hard-earned lesson.

Am X will quickly re-issue your card in such a situation on the spot. They did for me when mine was stollen in HK. Also had passport replaced in a couple of hours.

Now I need to go make sure my passport is still in my fire safe box (which is also another good place to check if you have one - OP).

If you have any piles of papers that were once in the room you did the online registration for hal, check within those piles. It is probably mixed up amongst a stack of things that need filing.

I totally sympathise, I was looking for my pasport to do the online check-in a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't find it.

After hours and hours of turning the house upside down I found it in a bag of Clarins cosmetics. I'd put it there to carry it upstaires, then shoved the bag in a wardrobe without realising.

If you have any hours left, get friends and family to help and carefully go through every draw and cupboard in each room.

Your expired passport may be a help as they know your documents had to have been in order for you to have gotten that passport. As you know, you cannot travel on it but it could help in a speedy replacement.

Good luck.

Agree. If you have been issued with a passport before it means you are "in the system" and it will certainly help expedite the speedy replacement of a new one.

I share your pain. We "mislaid" the entire family's passports a couple of years ago and eventually had them replaced because we needed to travel. While we were packing guess what we found in a suitcase side pocket the very next day after the new ones arrived?......:o

No luck friends, I found a photocopy of my old passport not helpful. I can't remember the saying about regrets but it won't help me now. The only thing we can figure is somehow when it was sitting on the table by the family room couch (and not put back where it belongs) it got accidentally thrown away.

My congressman's office opens at 8:00 EDT I am going and praying for a miracle.

I am taking with me everything necessary to get my new passport.

Never give up!!!

Maybe I'm missing something but the OP was talking about getting on an International flight and I don't see anything about a cruise. In fact their signature shows a cruise in November on the Oosterdam. So the immediate problem is the flight and that's a big problem. I'm actually asking as much as commenting when I ask if you can even get on an International flight without a passport? Just a few weeks ago my wife and I were flying to Vegas for a little get away. The couple in front of us was trying to check in for an International flight and the agent asked for their passports. Initially the couple couldn't find theirs and the agent said "I can't check you in or let you board without your passports." I don't know if that was or is airline policy or is it the law? Maybe where you're flying to? Might add that the couple sided aside and let us check in while they dug out their passports which they found. Anyhow, just curious.......

PS - This thread made me, once again, put my hands on our passports. :)

You are living the nightmare all of us want to avoid.

I have a file in my file cabinet marked "peoples passport copies", and I have copies of ALL of my close friends and families passports. That way, when we travel, or they travel, there's always one spot to send people to for a copy. Several people have keys to my home, when I'm gone so they all know how to access that file, should I also be on a trip. It really is your worst fear realized, followed closely by the credit card missing scare...

Good luck. Too bad you don't live in one of the cities with large government offices. They have a line here in DC for people who need a passport Today. They do have to show proof of travel to even get into that line.

Just for future information.

Whenever we have to get new passport pictures taken, our agency where we go -- AAA -- takes a couple of sets -- one for us to keep and one to send in with our passport renewal forms.

Also I always make color photo copies of our passports -- keep a set at home and take a set with us when we go on vacation.

Having an extra set of pictures and copies of your passport will speed up the process if you do have something happen to your original passport.

Iif you were sitting on the couch when you last had your passport I would suggest you pull all the cushions off the couch and push your hand down the back and the sides, I have often found things that have squeezed there way down the back of the couch. Failing that remove the backing and the bottom lining it could have gone further than you can reach.

This is among the services/functions their staffs should be assisting constituents with. They are not merely law makers..... they are our representatives to government.

I would hope their staffs are trained and willing to assist citizens.

If not assistance from them, then who?

As to flying without passport, No airline will let you board International flight without passport. The destination country will not let you enter so the airline is stuck bringing you back to the States (or whichever country) as you aren't permitted out of the secured area of international terminal. You must have passport to fly.

Archived